What's new

Any Last.fm users?

First off, for everyone who doesn't know, last.fm is a music website. You can use it to track what you listen to and get recommendations based on that data. You can also use it to get internet radio with music streaming based on your recommendations or some other criteria you pick.

I don't visit the site itself very much, but I've got a plug-in for itunes so quite a lot of the music I listen to gets tracked on the site, and I can see what I've listened to (which sometimes is different from what you expect).

Anyway, I was wondering if there are any other members here who also have last.fm accounts. If so perhaps we could form a group, I'm curious if there are specific artists of genres which will come out on top, we could call the group The League of Well Shaved Gentlemen or something.

So, last.fm user? Post here!

I am indeed a last.fm user. I have the plug-in and it tracks all of my iTunes listening. It's suggested some artists I wouldn't have been likely to come across otherwise. I enjoy the streaming audio as well - I like to type in the name of a favorite artist and see what it plays for me.

Okay, I made a group for B&B members. I personally wouldn't have a problem if people from SRP or SMF (or just traditional wet shavers in general) also joined, but if anyone objects we can always change the group from open to member approval based joining.

I give you The Perfect Shave. Please join! :)

Apparently I've been a last.fm member since June 2nd... :confused:

Well, I bit the bullet and left my computer running an approximately 24 hour playlist to get some stuff I like up there. Unfortunately, that was the only option available to me since I'm one of those neo-Luddites that still uses Winamp rather than iTunes. I also joined the newly created group; hopefully nobody minds the sudden influx of trance and contemporary classical.

Apparently I've been a last.fm member since June 2nd... :confused:

Well, I bit the bullet and left my computer running an approximately 24 hour playlist to get some stuff I like up there. Unfortunately, that was the only option available to me since I'm one of those neo-Luddites that still uses Winamp rather than iTunes. I also joined the newly created group; hopefully nobody minds the sudden influx of trance and contemporary classical.

Quite a bit of trance on mine, so in my book you've got good taste! :smile:

I used the winamp plugin for a while, and it seemed to work well enough so I don't think you need to worry. :)

I noticed that last.fm won't generate any group charts for groups with less than ten members, so I hope we get ten members soon enough. And until then I guess you can click on the other member names to see what they are listening to.

So far the Winamp plugin is treating me well, my only complaint is that I have to set up a ridiculously long playlist rather than being able to upload my entire history. If they'd put a library upload option in they'd probably have thousands of people who download anything they find throwing the numbers off, so that wouldn't work either. It's the price I pay for not using iTunes I guess

It looks like we still need six people to join up. Out of the ~4996 remaining people here we should be able to get enough.

How do you mean? Doesn't it just upload data on whatever song you're listening to? I think (back when I used it), about one minute into a song the plugin kicked in and uploaded the data.

Of course, that was a while back and they might have changed the plugin.

How do you mean? Doesn't it just upload data on whatever song you're listening to? I think (back when I used it), about one minute into a song the plugin kicked in and uploaded the data.

Of course, that was a while back and they might have changed the plugin.

This is the first time that I've actually downloaded the software so I don't have anything to compare it to, but in the current version iTunes users can upload a list of every song they've listened to from their history saving them the trouble of having to do what I'm doing now. hehe

I have literally thousands of songs on my computer. I started ripping my CD collection onto a spare hard drive and I've come to the conclusion that there are over 300 CDs floating around the house. I think I've ripped about one hundred CDs so far. Then there are the songs I downloaded from Jamendo and from some sites that only sell digital copies and LPs. Anyway, I want to get basically everything I have on that hard drive listed on last.fm, so the only way to do that is to "listen" to them all. :biggrin:

I didn't even know you could just upload lists of tracks, I thought all you could do was tracking what you are listening to, even with iTunes. I'm sure I have tracks on my computer that I haven't listened to through iTunes with the last.fm scrobbler on, but it doesn't really bother me I'm sure it'll get there eventually. :)

Quite a bit of trance on mine, so in my book you've got good taste! :smile:

I went through some of the stuff in your list; looks nice. :smile:

Quick question for ya, I noticed Télépopmusik in your list. Do you have the album or just their single? If you have the album, is it any good? I'm mulling picking it up as part of next month's random music purchase.

One of the classes I am in at my local university actually explorered internet streaming and this site was one of the site highlighted.

One of the classes I am in at my local university actually explorered internet streaming and this site was one of the site highlighted.

I'm jealous. The closest thing we learned was how to bring a database to its knees using a weird conditional statement that would execute until 1 = 2. :biggrin:

I think you could basically call this site an interesting application of neural networks and on-demand content.

I'm jealous. The closest thing we learned was how to bring a database to its knees using a weird conditional statement that would execute until 1 = 2. :biggrin:

I think you could basically call this site an interesting application of neural networks and on-demand content.

haha its an elective ICS class " Popular Music & Culture " I am graduating this year with a degree in politics going to law school next fall.

And on the subject of last.fm: the Last.fm Open Mind Index. It's a website which checks what your top 50 artists of the last year are, sees what tags are used to describe those artists and then calculates an "open mind index" to indicate how much you listen to the same types of music. Hardly a perfect method, but fun to see what it makes of you.

I went through some of the stuff in your list; looks nice. :smile:

Quick question for ya, I noticed Télépopmusik in your list. Do you have the album or just their single? If you have the album, is it any good? I'm mulling picking it up as part of next month's random music purchase.

I only have the single. I listened to a few of the other snippets on the iTunes store but none grabbed me and the reviews weren't too great. I just happen to like that particular song, which many folks might recognize from one of the Mitsubishi commercials.

I need some more flamenco albums, more good trance/electronic, more of everything... :smile:

Top Bottom