What's new

Gruen on a whim

First post on a watch topic....please be gentle : link:I considered getting a new wristwatch for my birthday but was discouraged at the modern selections available. Half too big, half too gaudy and the rest too expensive. So I perused here, then I did what I did with razors and went straight to eBay. I picked up what looked like a reasonable condition manual wind Gruen Precision for what I considered a reasonable price. Put it on my wrist and fell in love. Looking for some tips on care and feeding and any info on age y'all have.

Attachments

• $20120803_130036.jpg
    $20120803_130036.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 110
That's a really nice looking watch...kinda look like a vintage JLC Memovox. Thumbs up! Wear it well.

Best advice Don't feed after midnight.....Never ever get it wet!
If it gets fogged....pop the back...place on a nice bed of raw rice(glass side down) in a sealed plastic container for a few days....
They are not water-proof.....Rain drops will even fog it! Been there.
The rice draws out the moisture....Oh yes..Wind every day or two...:thumbup:

I've been eyeing old manual Gruen watches for a couple months now. Yours is a looker, though I'm partial to the non-round varieties.

Thanks all.
Love the look. It's in pretty good nick unless you take a close look.
Seems to run a touch fast. Not yet decided whether to take it for servicing since I estimate that would triple the cost of purchase. Maybe....

Dude you stole my watch!

$Gruen.jpg

I suggest finding a good watchmaker in your city that works on vintage pieces. Make sure to ask if they do in-house service. Some watchmakers will send out watches for servicing and then mark up the service to you.

Actually the only picture I've managed to find of the same model were on your wrist :)

Anyone got any Philadelphia watch servicing recommendations?

If the watch is running slow it probably needs to be oiled and cleaned. I would not wind it again until you get it serviced. Otherwise, you could damage the internals.

This guy works on vintage watches. He is actually pretty good and he is in PA.

http://www.watchdoctor.biz/

Thanks for the link.

Wound it yesterday for the first time. Running just over a minute fast after 24 hours.

What's the size of that particular Gruen? I just got one on Ebay myself, tho it's the automatic model...

About 34mm diameter. A touch small maybe but Id rather smaller than the humungowatches of today.

I have always been a Gruen fan. And I love that 1960's 'Pie Pan' look. Good job! You really should have your watch cleaned and serviced though. You will be glad you did. If you need to know the name of a reliable watch repairman, send me a PM.

Top Bottom