What's new

Semogue brushes

Hey guys!

Been looking at the semogue brushes and read good things about the 1305.

Are there any recommendations on the brushes? Like what one gets the most positive reviews etc but not too expensive. If I'm asking for much just tell me :)

Pete

Ps. Don't want a huge brush if you get me.

The 1305, 620, and SOC probably get the most love. They're all great brushes, but all quite different from one another.
Two often overlooked Semogues you might want to consider are the 1800 and 1205.
The 1800 is my favorite non-LE Semogue outside of the SOC. It has an outstanding balance of backbone and soft tips.

1460 is a fantastic brush with lovely blond natural hairs that float pillows of creamy lather across your face once broken in.

$UE4he.jpg

$ck9u8.jpg

$RPkyq.jpg

Cheers guys! The 1460 looks real nice! Cracking price too! More suggestions wanted :) then I'll make a short list >=]

1470. I believe it's the same as the 1460 without the ugly paint.

If you LIKE the paint, the 1460 because a birdy told me it performs almost as well as the 1470 (the difference is caused by one's inability to look at the bowl while lathering due to the ugly paint).

The SOC is a bit nicer brush, but it may be bigger than you'd like, though it isn't huge. It's also 3x the price and it's not THAT much better (though it's still quite cheap when compared to even entry level non-crappy badger brushes).

I'm sure someone will post here and prove me wrong on this point, but I've not heard anyone who wasn't pleased with the SOC. 1470 has less fans, but again I don't know anyone who tried it and didn't like it.

620 has a large following (was even bigger before they started making LE's that were somewhat similar to it), but I found it harsh and felt the hair in it was below the quality of any other semogue I'd tried. (other than the 620, every Semo I used had top notch boar bristle... regardless of how they graded it, though I found more tops definitely did = better brush in my eyes, and I liked their Best and Premium grades most).

I'd rank the hair as (SOC grade which is unnamed other than "Special") > Best > Premium >> Extra/Super.
That's how I felt about them.

Last edited:
I have a 1438, it was my first real brush. I like the paint scheme, and it has bloomed well. It is a lil short for lathering in any type of deep vessel, or one with a narrow opening. I bought it cause I'm a face lathering kinda guy.

I have the 830. Same knot as the 1305, but a different handle. I prefer the handle on the 830. I have also bought 1305s as gifts, and they have been well received.

Looks wise, I still think the 1305 is the coolest looking brush. I felt the loft was too high though and it was slightly too moppy. Out of the production Semogues, I love the 620. It might be my favorite brush. The LE Semogues are on another level, but they are much more pricey.

I only have the 620, but its a smaller knot with lots of backbone, great for face lathering. A little action photo with Mike's Natural soap

proxy.php

All that I have tried have been very nice. You could close your eyes, spin the wheel, and come out a winner no matter which one is chosen

I own a 1460, 1470 & 1250 which all have the same "Best" hair type. They all perform very well. Prices are impossible to beat compared to performance when it comes to Semogue boars.

I agree with turtle that you could close your eyes, pick one, and end up with a truly fantastic brush.

If you're going to own just one I'd go with the 1305. I've got a 1305, a 1438, and an SOC and the 1305 gets used the most. All the Semogues are great brushes but I think the 1305 is the best all-around brush.

I am breaking in a 1460 now it is a great brush. After only a few lathers it has softened up with lots of backbone.

I only have one Semogue brush and it's the 620. It is a great performer on my shaving soaps. I love it! Keep us posted on your choice.

WARHAWK

Top Bottom