What's new

Beard Care Products

So over the last few weeks I've decided to take on a beard. Blasphemy I know on a site dedicated to the strategic remove of facial hair, but fear not I will still be shaving my neck area. So far I have been using regular shampoo and conditioner on my beard; while this stuff works great on my hair and scalp, it seems like this stuff is not all that great for the skin underneath the beard as it is quite drying.

I was wondering if anyone out there had any suggestions on products that are designed specifically for beard care that make take care of the cleansing and moisturizing of the beard and still leave the skin below soft and supple.

Thanks!

Probably the best product(s) you can use to maintain facial hair are the same ones you use to remove it. If you are still shaving your neck, just put some lather all over your beard area and let it sit for a few minutes while you apply the blade below the jaw line. This will moisturize the skin and keep your whiskers well-maintained.

Same is true for any aftershave. You can apply it over the whiskers that you choose to keep. I do it all the time with my goatee and sideburns.

I'm sure there are specialized products that will do what you want with beard maintenance. But there is no reason to go out and spend extra money for those when you've already got stuff in the den that will accomplish the same goal.

Probably the best product(s) you can use to maintain facial hair are the same ones you use to remove it. If you are still shaving your neck, just put some lather all over your beard area and let it sit for a few minutes while you apply the blade below the jaw line. This will moisturize the skin and keep your whiskers well-maintained.

Same is true for any aftershave. You can apply it over the whiskers that you choose to keep. I do it all the time with my goatee and sideburns.

I'm sure there are specialized products that will do what you want with beard maintenance. But there is no reason to go out and spend extra money for those when you've already got stuff in the den that will accomplish the same goal.

Makes good sense, thanks!

I went through a bottle of Beardsley beard shampoo and conditioner.. it was pretty good stuff (made my beard soft) but somewhat pricey. Smells good and doesnt taste like crap if you accidentally get some in your mouth/nose. I agree with dpm802 though, I would just use my favorite soap/cream lather.

Yeah, dpm802's advice has worked for me just fine. If you still have dry itchy or flaking skin under the beard I have used one of the ethnic moisturizing products they sell with olive oil or shea butter for hair. I use it for my scalp after haircuts and it's worked for my beard/mustache as well.

I can say that I stand fully by maine and tail. Over the last year or so I have tried a number of different products, some of which worked well, but I always end up back with maine and tail. I get their "deep moisturizing" line which comes in much smaller bottles that the regular huge ones and they can be found at most Rite Aids or other drug stores. Now, in most cases I would highly recommend you stop using the shampoo on your beard. And if you're going to stick with your head hair shampoo you really should stick with just the conditioner instead. The shampoo is whats drying your skin out. Its also stripping your beard of all those natural oils that will make it look that much better. Conditioner has almost the exact same ingredients as shampoo. Realistically it will clean your hair just as well as shampoo and it will not dry it out. With the maine and tail however I have found that the shampoo not only doesn't dry out my skin but it really does make that much more of a difference on how my beard looks and feels. A couple of other things I can recommend are...#1. Hazelnut & cedarwood beard conditioner from Jenulence. I highly recommend it. It cost between $10-$28 depending what size you get. The smaller 1oz has lasted me over 6 months. This stuff smells great! Not only does it make your beard softer, shinier and smell better but its specifically made to help with the dry/flaky skin and beard dandruff. #2. Just go get ya some Jojoba Oil. I recommend "now food organic oil". This stuff is the closest oil to our natural skin oil as you can get. It has almost no smell. Just a light one at most. A big bottle of this should be no more than $10 or so. And #3. Shea Moisture African Black Soap Facial Wash & Scub/Beard Lifter. I love this stuff. I actually use the entire Shea Moisture line and they're all great. But this scrub smells fantastic! And it'll not only help with the dry skin but when you shave your neck you can apply this stuff afterwards for few minutes and it will greatly help with ingrown hairs, razor bump and skin discoloration. The only place I can find it is Target.

Hope some of that helps!

Don't fear the beard or the anti-beard propaganda. Some people look much better with a beard. Beards are cool. Shaving is cool, too. Moving on . . .

Royalshave has some decent sounding products: http://www.royalshave.com/c/beard-moustache-grooming.html
The Italian Barber stocks blue beard beard care products: http://www.italianbarber.com/beard-care-50
WCS stocks jenulence and more: http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Beard-and-Moustache_c_108.html

I dig having a beard about as much as I like having a moustache and being clean-shaven. All work well for me. It's fun to mix it up.

In the past I've used Body shop hair shampoo and conditioner though I can't recommend these products. If I had the money I'd be shelling out for some of the products in the above links. Hang on to your beard. At least give it a long enough amount of time to see how you like it.

Top Bottom