What's new

A New York state of mind!

Haggis for everyone!

proxy.php

And no, I am not sitting next to inky again.

http://www.standrewsnyc.com/index.html

Last edited:
If the date is set, I'll see about getting time off & a hotel. I'd love to have another excuse to go to NYC. I haven't been down that way in almost 4 years. I've been stuck up here in this tiny village by lake Ontario, lol.

Oh, and while I've never had haggis, it looks delicious & I've eaten most ( all? ) the parts they use in it, just from beef cows instead of sheep.

I'll show up to the afterparty if it includes C.O. Bigalows and Otto's Shrunken Head - I don't think I can "stomach" the haggis.

Last edited:
For those going to NYC and needing a hotel, I recommend the Affinia Shelburne at 37th and Lex. Walking distance to Pasteur's. Great neighborhood away from the crowds in Times Square, but walking distance to nearly everything in Midtown and only 4 short blocks from Grand Central. They've even got quite large 2 bed/2 bath suites if you're bringing family or want to double up with other members. I've been staying there for nearly 6 years for about 60 or 70 days a year. Not cheap, but generally good value for the money.

NYC has lots of hotels and you can usually find something anytime, but the prices fluctuate wildly. I've payed anywhere from 150 to500/night for the exact same room depending on demand. If you're going, then make a reservation right away and lock in a good price. It's not an airline so you can cancel without penalty or rebook later if you see a cheaper rate.

Finally, while Foie Gras is illegal in California but fine in NYC, Mayor Bloomberg outlawed Haggis. Turns out that even the Scottish Americans were relieved as they were pretending to like it.

It appears that it was originally banned during the Mad Cow outbreak. After *that* bad was lifted, the US instituted a ban on using animal lungs in food. As sheep lungs are an ingredient in traditional haggis, you can't make that legally. You can still make an approximation of it, but you can't include sheep lungs. It is still something you can call haggis, but it isn't a true traditional one.

If that's what you were referring to, you can thank the FDA, not Mayor Bloomberg.

Oh, and I hate myself for having to look that up... not because I didn't know it, but because not looking it up would have bugged me all day, lol.

Last edited:
After seeing this thread last night, I stopped by Pasteur's on Lex & E 63rd, for the first time, earlier this afternoon. From the outside, it looked tiny compared to a Duane Reade or CVS and I wasn't expecting too much. Walking in, my expectations began to increase after noticing that the ceiling high shelves were crammed with a plethora of personal care supplies. Turning to the right, my jaw unexpectedly dropped when I saw a highly impressive assortment of brushes; Simpson, Vei-Long, Omega and others. Then, my eyes turned lower, towards the shelf below the brushes, and my now drool covered jaw dropped even further after spying the huge selection of DE's: Merkur, IKON, Goodfella and EJ. Like a kid on Christmas morning, I fumbled with a Progress, Futur and a Vison 2000. I checked out a Merkur 37C. Then, the realization struck me: there must be a few aftershaves here that I may want to try. Turning to the left was the Holy Grail, the mother load, a complete array of every famous and semi-famous brand of aftershave, shaving soap and shaving cream that has ever been mentioned in the archives and posts of B&B. AND, they had a nice variety of DE Blades at the register ready for the final impulse purchase. Grabbing a 5 pack of Persona Reds and with beads of sweat forming on my forehead, I got out of there on the cheap after spending only $40. This is a dangerous store - Heaven and Hell both in one place!

Last edited:
I drive down 34th st. A few times a week. I'm dying to get in there!! There is no where to stop a car on 34th st. Though.
:cursing:

Don't just stop at the shaving section. The rest of the store is also amazing. It may be tiny, but you an actually get lost in there and not be able to retrace your way out. It's like a bleeping tardus.

Don't just stop at the shaving section. The rest of the store is also amazing. It may be tiny, but you an actually get lost in there and not be able to retrace your way out. It's like a bleeping tardus.
All in good time! They don't have enough of my money yet - I'll be back. BTW how is it that Pasteur's is bigger inside then it is outside?

Top Bottom