What's new

The wait begins... Semogues on the way

Thanks to all the great review and comments around here, I've just put an order in for two Semogue boars.

The 1305 which gets good reviews for being a solid all rounder with soft tips and the 1470 because I wanted to experience a smaller brush and a natural colored brush. At the price it was impossible to pass up these two brushes for my first round of SBAD.

Look forward to reporting my feedback when they arrive.

You've ordered two very nice brushes- got 'em both. The 1470 isn't completely broken in yet, but already provides a great shave, especially for soaps. The 1305 is well broken in, and is like shaving with a cloud. Love it madly. Expect the dye in the 1305 bristles to run a little as it's breaking in. A little disconcerting if you bowl lather...but not a problem.

Jeff

I ordered the 1800 from VS last week and just got a notice today that it was shipped. I now wish I had added an SOC at the same time! Prospective VS customers... You can't beat the prices if you are willing to wait a couple weeks. But when you order, go for two!

Congrats on the double boar purchase, they should be a great pair and a good break in for your first sbad. However, you do know sbad has no bounderies? You may want to find a part time job to cover brush purchases in the future!:thumbup:

Post your findings on the 1305, was tempted to order one. But also tempted go get a silvertip off whipped dog.

Brushes arrived today! Just over a week from Ireland to Australia... I'm so excited :biggrin1:

My initial views having felt the brushes dry and wet but not lathered yet:

1305 - the handle is weight and very comfortable in the hand. The knot is bigger than I expected. The tips while a bit firm at the moment and not irritating or prickly at all. I now know what people mean when they refer to backbone as the thing is quite stiff but not uncomfortably so. I think it'll definitely be more of a bowl latherer than a face lather due to the size of the thing. Can't want to get it broken in.

1470 - the handle is relatively small and light but still OK to hold. The knot looks really good as a petite blonde boar. The tips are firm and the brush has plenty of backbone but its "scrubby" not "scratchy" which is really what I've been looking for. This will definitely be a face latherer due to the lightness of the handle and the size of the knot. Again, cannot wait until this is properly broken in.

All in all, I'm very happy with my purchases and I can't wait to try them out properly. I'll be working hard to break them in as quickly as I can. I'll continue to post my observations over time.

Nick,

I own (and use) both the 1305 and the 1460 (the painted handle version of the 1470) and they are fine brushes.

They will mostly break-in over the next month, but continue to soften over more use in the coming months. My two brushes are over two years old and are both incredibly soft.

be sure to let them go though complete wet/dry cycles to speed up break-in.

Top Bottom