What's new

Honing forum is slow these days. So... Hone Pics power, ACTIVATE!

And here is what they Hang out in this is my mobile stone.
proxy.php

Did you saw the grid pattern in the slurry stone yourself or did it come that way?
I cut it in myself with a hacksaw. I won't do it again, and I may lap the ones you see there out.

Pretty, what's it 8x2x.5? Where'd ya get the rubber?

It's about 175 x 40 or so - I don't have it out right now so I have to guess the size. The rubber was cut off the stone with a hacksaw.

Whats the big black one? Yellow lake?

And I agree about your dislike of the grid pattern, Gamma. I find that thuri's have the unusual ability to be able to scratch themselves. I've got a few with same piece rubbing stones and if I get impatient and angle the rubber for a bit faster slurry it's not uncommon to scratch the stone. I actually prefer to lap both my stone AND the slurry stone for my Thuri's.

Last edited:
There really is no need for the cuts in my opinion, and those little edges have a tendency to crumble. The resulting little bits floating around in the slurry is a hazard. Same for Nagura too.

There really is no need for the cuts in my opinion, and those little edges have a tendency to crumble. The resulting little bits floating around in the slurry is a hazard. Same for Nagura too.

Yeah I have noticed that too, with my hard to slurry stones it's better to leave them flat and score them with a diamond plate.

Just in. Lapped it up...she was pretty out if whack.. and I gave it a really quick test and she looks promising.
Unnamed vintage jnat.

Attachments

• $IMG_5982.jpg
    $IMG_5982.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 97
  • $IMG_5981.jpg
    $IMG_5981.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 94
Sheesh. Y/G 6x2" escher is selling for almost $750 on eBay right now with 2 days to go.

I don't even use my 6x2" Y/G thuri. The price people will pay for a label.

Brian, that's a stunning stone, top and bottom. That skin really pops... maybe Alex can chime in with a guess about it's origin?

Had a chance to put some of the rest of the Nagura together for a group portrait today.

On the left - two smaller Tenjou. Middle row, f-b - Mejiro, Botan, Tenjou. Right side, Mejiro.

proxy.php

Had a chance to put some of the rest of the Nagura together for a group portrait today.

On the left - two smaller Tenjou. Middle row, f-b - Mejiro, Botan, Tenjou. Right side, Mejiro.

proxy.php
Holy cow. Spechle..............………

Those two just happend to be out when I was shooting the photo.
I used the one in the back to hone up a Dorko today. Im still figuring those two out..

The backup is enroute.

Just because they are stamped tenjyou, Mejiro etc.doesn't mean they are remotely similar, they are all very different. I've cut big Nagura into smaller pieces and these pieces which were originally inches apart can be markedly different, especially striped ones. I was recently generous gifted to piece of Iyo, basically all white that is very consistent despite being cut into numerous pieces, again they are all different.

Top Bottom