What's new

Honing forum is slow these days. So... Hone Pics power, ACTIVATE!

First is my Ayrstone paddle.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Next is my Les Lat Coti with Les Lat slurry stone.

Sadly, even though Ardennes tried finishing the green side, it has a small dip from a vein you can see in the second pic, so I can't use that pretty side. I'd have to grind away a bit more stone than I'd want to in order to. The side however (pic 4) is usable, though I've found no advantage over the top. Given the shape of this stone (about 10-12mm wide if memory serves), it's mostly just a collector stone. Very rarely do I need to break it out, since it is more of a file than a hone. If you want an exercise in futility, try slurrying the green side with the green side of the rubbing stone... crack open a case of beers. You won't be going anywhere for awhile.

Last 2 pics are the cream side of the Rubbing stone, and yes, the green shows through. It's very noticeable when it's wet in a dimly lit room.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Still to come the next time I'm bored... another 4 or 5 coti's, about a dozen thuri's I've got kicking around, my Karasu Jnat, a ten lb Charnley, and more.

Last edited:
That a full set of Nagura? I only ever got Mejiro and Tomo. Do you do a full onestone process typically?

I doubted I'd have the patience for something like that so I jump synth to Mejiro slurry or Synth to coti to Mejiro. Or Synth to Coti to Thuri To Tomo or... you get the idea.

That a full set of Nagura? I only ever got Mejiro and Tomo. Do you do a full onestone process typically?

I doubted I'd have the patience for something like that so I jump synth to Mejiro slurry or Synth to coti to Mejiro. Or Synth to Coti to Thuri To Tomo or... you get the idea.
That is a full set of naguras. I typically set the bevel on a JNS 1K stone and then go through the naugra progression for a JNAT edge. For a coticule edge, set the bevel on the JNS 1K and go though a dilucot and finish on oil-of course.

You can't finish on oil with coticules. Oooooo I'm telling!

You ever try just finishing on the jnat after another progression? If so, did you notice a difference?

You can't finish on oil with coticules. Oooooo I'm telling!

You ever try just finishing on the jnat after another progression? If so, did you notice a difference?
I have and did until I got the full progression. JNAT with just the tomo nagura after a coticule works fine. I have also used it after the naniwa 12k and it works. To get the max I think a full nagura is best.

Now I blindfolded can I tell the difference between an edge on full nagura vs just tomo-I don't think so.

What do you get when you take a cut and back that belongs on a super old coti; a visual appearance that has the color of a tan washita, the texture of a soft thuri, and the patterning of a charnley; Then you throw in a honing feel on water that's midway between slate and a carborundum with audio most similar to a dry Swaty; and shove the whole thing into a custom paddle that appears 150+ years old? Also it sparkles like the chest of an insecure girl at a rave.

everyone's favorite: Mystery Hone!

proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Last edited:
Purdy Karasu there. Gimme a closeup. I had a Karasu that was a dead ringer for my stone visually, but I disliked because it was a very sloppy cut and it never seemed to give as good a results as my Asagi tomonag or simple DMT slurry did. It was actually big enough to hone on though (was like 3x2" or so if memory serves) so I sold it for that purpose as I recall.

Also what the hell is that stone above it that looks like you sawed a chunk out of someone's femur?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
:lol: it's an unknown nagura my dad bought with the Jnat he purchased years ago when we lived in Japan. It feels finer than the Koma I have, but never took the time to really experiment to see where it falls between Botan and tomo.

proxy.php

proxy.php

It's only 30g...if you think you can use it I'll trade you for another tomo if you want. I don't use it much and if it would bring you pleasure...there looks to be some inclusions here and there tho'.

Here's my mystery Jnat
proxy.php

Here's some of my Asano-Stamped Nagura
The two in the lower right are Koma, both are pretty amazing, even though they're not stamped. The one with the very-visible saw marks is pure heaven to work with.

proxy.php

I appreciate the offer, but I'm very happy with my tomo. I'm content to just look. It almost has a mood ring effect going on in the second picture.

Here's some of my Asano-Stamped Nagura
The two in the lower right are Koma, both are pretty amazing, even though they're not stamped. The one with the very-visible saw marks is pure heaven to work with.

proxy.php

No wonder there is a shortage, you have them all. Nice rocks.

Top Bottom