What's new

Do people dress like slobs today? Or were people 100 years ago just plain and drab?

Do people dress like slobs today? Or were people 100 years ago just plain and drab?

• Most people dress poorly today

• People were just drab 75-100 years ago

• Haberdashery readers are well dressed....most everyone else is a slob

Results are only viewable after voting.
interesting topic. i actually dress for the company and location. for causal lunch with friend at a place that i know is casual i have worn t shirt with short or khaki. for the unknown or with company i regard highly i wear button up shirt and khaki.

I like dressing up, but at the same time, those photos didn't represent all the poor in NY, it would be interesting to see what they wore. Also the cost of clothes and the choices were very limited. I bet those men in the suits, it is all they had. Jeans were not in wide release, so you won't find them or shorts or other "sports" clothes. So while I agree that people don't seem to respect themselves enough to dress appropriately, to compare it historically is not accurate.

Marty

Not dressing for dinner is a matter of choice, not owning a suit is as well.

This statement has been bothering me ever since I read it. I know that for me $400 is quite a lot of money, and I'm in a decent paying career. I agree with you that its a choice to dress respectably, and respectfully - but owning a suit may just not be choice or a priority for some people.

This statement has been bothering me ever since I read it. I know that for me $400 is quite a lot of money, and I'm in a decent paying career. I agree with you that its a choice to dress respectably, and respectfully - but owning a suit may just not be choice or a priority for some people.

Take your point, but it seems that folks have no problem buying overpriced smartphones and sneakers.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Take your point, but it seems that folks have no problem buying overpriced smartphones and sneakers.

I guess that's what it boils down to for a lot of people. They have their money, and their priorities, and "suit" doesn't make the cut. (And given thrift store and other inexpensive options, it needn't be a $400 decision.)

Obviously, the more money you have, the easier it is to stumble across a $400 suit purchase and hey-presto you have a suit, and ditto for all the other stuff that rich people can buy easier than poor people ... which is pretty much everything.

I once heard a progression of the use of items of clothing which makes a lot of sense and works for clothing from the 16th century on, whether it's the tailcoat or the tracksuit.

begins as: Clothing for sports
then becomes in turn:
casual day wear,
business wear
formal day wear
formal evening wear
ending up as: clothing for servants.

A business suit need not cost 400 bucks. Witness Target. Not saying that it's the cat's meow, but it's a suit. Anyway, the point really shouldn't be about wearing a suit. Rather, it should be about looking one's best. A button down and a nice pair of jeans more than make the cut for me at most restaurants. I just think that as long as people are clean, groomed, and presentable, that's all the effort any of us should demand.

The trend towards informal dress translates to greetings as well. As a child, my parents would introduce someone as Mr., Ms. Etc. Now it seems improper if you don't address someone by their first name, even in a formal business relationship or by email. I work in the trades, and passed 100k last year without putting on anything except for sweat pants and carhartt coveralls. Do I feel like trash, well sort of �� but it just wouldn't make sense to wear a suit or even proper shirt and pants in certain occupations.

100 years ago you'd see pictures of mustachioed men wearing wool suits and ties, with hats, on 95 degree summer days.

No thanks.

I own my company & we are in sales. My people making calls will wear a coat & tie. They may not know what they are doing but they damn well are going to give the appearance they know what they are doing.

"Dress for success" is still important. It's amazing how "slobby" some people look when they go shopping. Whatever happened to, "Always wear clean underwear in case you're in an accident and are taken to the hospital?"

"Dress for success" is still important. It's amazing how "slobby" some people look when they go shopping. Whatever happened to, "Always wear clean underwear in case you're in an accident and are taken to the hospital?"

Underwear doesn't stay clean when that's all you're wearing or if you're wearing it "over" instead.

And especially if you wear pants-on-the-ground style:
proxy.php

I definitely think people dress like slobs today. Just a quick example, look at the people who go to church wearing shorts, ripped jeans, flip flops etc. Its quite sad actually. Seems people had more pride in how they looked back in the day.

Dino hit the proverbial nail on the head! I don't know why, but I am still taken back every Sunday morning by what "men" are wearing.... Lots of man boys.... Sad

Definitely more casual/ sloppy these days. Look at old movies of baseball games, everyone was wearing a suit and hat. Even many factore workers in the 20's wore suits. I always grew up wearing my "Sunday best" to church as a way to show respect for God. That seems to be a bygone tradition. Kinda sad.

Dino hit the proverbial nail on the head! I don't know why, but I am still taken back every Sunday morning by what "men" are wearing.... Lots of man boys.... Sad

Quite frankly, I think it all started to go downhill with the demise of the donning of ruffs and powdered wigs. Shameful Victorians with their fashion shortcuts, natural hair, and bustles.

Top Bottom