What's new

Do people dress like slobs today? Or were people 100 years ago just plain and drab?

Do people dress like slobs today? Or were people 100 years ago just plain and drab?

• Most people dress poorly today

• People were just drab 75-100 years ago

• Haberdashery readers are well dressed....most everyone else is a slob

Results are only viewable after voting.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The guy in the suit does a pretty good Willie Nelson impersonation for a guy in a suit!

Oh, and what goes on today with people's appearance in airline travel? Years past, air travel was special, even tourists took the time to dress nicely. Casual has gone too far, today's airline coach fare passengers dress in attire appropriate for a trip to the beach: cut-offs, flip-flops, ragged tee shirts, all of which are gross considering the obesity epidemic. Even in business class domestic, casual is the word. With respect to our mutual hobby, shaving, the grunge look with 2-3 day stubble is promoted by the men's fashion industry as the "cool" look. I still prefer the clean shaven, neatly groomed look even though I am retired and live in a small town mountain community.

Oh, and what goes on today with people's appearance in airline travel? Years past, air travel was special, even tourists took the time to dress nicely. Casual has gone too far, today's airline coach fare passengers dress in attire appropriate for a trip to the beach: cut-offs, flip-flops, ragged tee shirts, all of which are gross considering the obesity epidemic. Even in business class domestic, casual is the word. With respect to our mutual hobby, shaving, the grunge look with 2-3 day stubble is promoted by the men's fashion industry as the "cool" look. I still prefer the clean shaven, neatly groomed look even though I am retired and live in a small town mountain community.

Very true unfortunately. I prefer to wear a sport coat or blazer when flying, very comfortable.

To me the "grunge look with 2-3 day stubble" gives one of two impressions; lazy-cannot bother to shave, or indecisive-should I shave or grow a bread hmmmmmm what to do, what to do.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Between getting near strip searches through security, then being packed like cattle into the plane, it is understandable why people dress casually when flying.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

Look at it this way ... everyone else is just making it super-extra-easy for YOU to look fabulous the next time you fly!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
People dressed up to fly.... when air travel was a luxury reserved for the wealthy classes or a "once every few years, save up for it, special occasion".

Yes, plus ... back "in the day" people tended to "dress up" for a lot of things we tend not to dress up for now. But yes, air travel used to be much more of a special event, not just a luxury, but also a great novelty for people.

Folks used to dress for church, funerals, weddings, dining out, movies, etc. Now you get shorts, t-shirt and sideways trucker cap in finer restaurants, and they refuse to take the cap off. Went to a funeral a few months ago, large gathering, only two jackets in the place. Lots of jeans, lots of tees, though the cap wearers did removed them for the service.

Hey guys,
Modern day slob here. My wardrobe consists of synthetic t shirts, polos, and either sweatshorts or synthetic cargo pants/shorts. I love wearing sandals for general duty walking and hiking sneakers for most everything else.
I live a life of utter comfort and ease, at a very low financial cost.
My entire wardrobe fits into one dresser drawer.
I can wash and hang dry my clothing in a matter of hours, at home, myself. None of it ever needs to be ironed.
The other day I was out for a walk and happened upon a game of pickup ultimate. Instantly joined.

I don't think old school dress is drab. I quite like the look. I just think there is merit to simpler clothing, and that is my preference.

Just sharing some thoughts from the hoi polloi. Carry on, gentlemen.

Hey guys,
Modern day slob here. My wardrobe consists of synthetic t shirts, polos, and either sweatshorts or synthetic cargo pants/shorts. I love wearing sandals for general duty walking and hiking sneakers for most everything else.
I can wash and hang dry my clothing in a matter of hours, at home, myself. None of it ever needs to be ironed.
The other day I was out for a walk and happened upon a game of pickup ultimate. Instantly joined.

I don't think old school dress is drab. I quite like the look. I just think there is merit to simpler clothing, and that is my preference.

Is cool, you take the minimilist approach :laugh:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Hey guys,

Don't worry- they made a longtime member of the hoi polloi a Steward of the Haberdashery :lol:

I come from a family that didn't dress like that 100 years ago. I come from a long line of Florida Crackers. in fact. I am the first NOT to work on a ranch at some point in my life. so there was nobody to teach me to wear a suit as a daily fashion. that was for Easter Sunday and Funerals. I currently do not even own a suit. I have 1 pair of black dress pants, and 3 dress shirts. I have 1 pair of dress shoes. and none of them are "High Quality". though I would be hard pressed to call anyone in my family lazy (except maybe myself)

I dont dress much like anyone else in my family before me, though. I admit culture grabbed me. I were shorts a lot do to having mostly laborious, dirty, outside jobs here in Florida (I now work in an office, but I got so used to cargo shorts. I dont wanna change!)

and I were graphic tee's or Columbia Shirts most days. (mostly do to comfort and my ability to represent my favorite movies and superhero's because I am apparently still a child in many ways)

Last edited:
Even though I work from home in a basement office, I work in a shirt with a collar, slacks, and shoes. After work, I change into something more casual, if I'm not going out to dinner. Fred Rogers had it right, imo.

Top Bottom