What's new

Lavender Revisited

I'll second the Puig and add Ach Brito Lavanda which has a bit of spice to the Lavender, two of my favorites for Spring & Summer.

Always looking for the ultimate lavender. Currently have SMN Imperial, Atkinsons and AdP Lavanda Tonica. I'm intriguied by the possibility of a Lorenzo Villoresi lavender - it does seem to exist and I plan to get a sample.

Wow, lots of great suggestions. I'll have to head over to Saks and try Taste of Heaven. Maybe that can sway me from buying Gris Clair...

Wow, lots of great suggestions. I'll have to head over to Saks and try Taste of Heaven. Maybe that can sway me from buying Gris Clair...

It's quite a bit like Caron Pour Homme on steroids. Tenacious. I swear By Killian totally riffed off Caron. With the absinth, it somehow conjures a bit of Third Man as well IMO.

I'm not a big fan of Lutens so don't know much about Gris Clair.

I have the same conundrum with lavender as the OP, I have a lot of them and really love them although they all seem to be missing something, either strong lavender or longeivity. I have Gris Clair, it's only really lavender for a short time, the smoke and amber tend to cancel it out in short order. I don't think of it as a classic lavender. Caron has the same issue, the vanilla just flattens the lavender in no time. The splashes, like Puig, Atkinsons, etc., are great but don't last. My Creed RSL has turned, but it's clove kind of kills the lavender as well. I think I would look into Annick Goutal Eau de Lavande, it's along the lines of Creed, but less expensive and a little lighter on the clove. Caldey is great but lasts all of 5 minutes, if you are lucky. I will have to try some of the others mentioned here. I really liked the O&C, but sold it as I never wore it much. I just don't seem to wear lavender much except for some of the splash colognes, as it just doesn't last very long. Stick with Puig...

My classic favorite lavenders right now are Killian Taste of Heaven and Caron Pour Un Homme.

But if you like another take on Lavender - try these, which I proudly also own and like quite a bit:

1. L'Occitane POur Homme - A really nice subtle well made natural lavender with a mild pepper note in the foreground. Excellent scent. Only last 5-6 hours unfortunately....only minus about this scent
2. JPG Le Male - a very sweet loud and intruding vanilla based lavender fragrance, but still very well made. I wear it once every 2 months probably........I have a huge frag collection.
3. Penhaligon Endymion - Lavender base mixed with a coffee and vanilla note. Quite an interesting calming fragrance IMHO

I was out in the elements today with contractors. This is what I wore.

$Acca.jpg

This wore well in the heat. Great scent.

I dropped by my local Saks today and was surprised that they don't have any Kilian at all (after the website assured me that it was in stock). Quite disappointing. I sent an email off to see if Kilian has samples. It does sound intriguing.

I certainly don't want to hijack this thread even thought I was going to start one with similar content ... but does anyone know of a Lavender like Agua Lavanda Puig that has a longer staying power. I've had both the splash and the cologne in glass from La Tienda ... and they seem rather the same strength to me. I really like this lavender ... just wish it were a bit stronger.

I forgot to mention the Martin de Candre lavender - this is a nice fairly pure lavender with surprising staying power and inexpensive.

I love SL Gris Clair. I think it's a very unusual, smokey, but dead-on lavender. I wouldn't necessarily wear it in the summer, however. I'm bummed my decant is out, for sure.

I'm a fan of Lorenzo Villoresi Inglese, aka Wild Lavender. It showcases lavender, but the lavender is mellowed by additional spicy notes. I'm not as fond of the Serge Lutens Gris Claire, which doesn't have as much up front lavender to my nose and ends up smelling too syrupy sweet on my skin.

LV Wild Lavender is worth sampling, it and RSL have been my scents of choice this summer. I need to find a new bottle of Puig, any suggestions?

Gris Clair is good, but it becomes a bit sweet as it dries down (I know, hard to believe coming from Lutens....).

I agree with a few others that A Taste of Heaven is absolute tops for lavender. Runner up for me would be Oxford and Cambridge.

Don't listen to Chris. Jicky is just nasty-ville. Unless of course you want dirty diaper mixed with your lavender... :D

I recently bought Lavender by Provence Santé. I'm in love with their shaving soaps and creams so I thought I could give their EDT a try. It's their version of a very true to the real lavender type of scent. Sharp and aromatic and very short living. Cheap too. Funny I had to order it from the States. I'm not sure I would recommend it on account of longevity.
If you want to stay very close to the lavender then I would recommend either Etat Libre d'Orange Antiheros or Il Profvmo Brise de Lavande. The latter is maybe a little bit more feminine but equaly good and strong IMHO. If you want strong and long lasting lavender then Lavanda Nobile by Nobile 1942 is the only possible solution. Everything else is lavender with some kind of complication, very beautiful sometimes but some kind of complication.
Off couse YMMV. Trying first is always a better solution.

Top Bottom