What's new

Playing with my macro lens

My wife and I went to a park today where I played around a bit with my 60 mm macro lens...

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

And this one I took the day after I purchased the lens (last weekend):

proxy.php

There's most likely an app for that, but it's really akward to put the phone in your pocket with it attached... :001_tt2:

Thank you!

Perhaps the 105 will be a consideration down the road. I'm thinking my next glass will be a 24-70...

Congrats. Macro photography opens a whole new world. Don't be afraid to stop it down a bit for more DOF and use a flash.

Jumper, thanks for the tip!

cddross, that's a great dragonfly. I debated whether to get the 60 or the 105 (I'm shooting a Nikon D5100), but thought the 60 would be more versatile on my DX body...

I found another bee that was good enough to pose for me. Once again, all were taken with my 60mm Micro (Nikon):

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I don't have a Macro, just a 28-300mm but here are my recent attempts at shooting bugs. I'm debating on getting a macro extension tube, a micro lens probably wouldn't get too much use. Does anyone have any experience with them?
The spider came into my house last night, instead of being normal and killing it, I picked up my camera and took a few pictures. It was carrying hatchlings and the lens didn't quite get the details of them. My dog then exhaled on the spider and they fleed.
$IMG_5452.jpg

Attachments

• $IMG_5455.jpg
    $IMG_5455.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 165
Whoa, cool pic of the wolf spider carrying her young! That camera's good enough to get pics of the edge on your straight!

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I have a question in regards to macro lenses and insects. I was messing around in San Diego, and had a bee land on a flower. I tried to get as close as possible, and then the bee flew off before I could get anything as close as that. I dont know offhand what lens I have, but its a pretty good one for my D90.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Isaac,

I won't claim to know a lot about what I'm doing (I guess dumb luck works), but I try to move very slowly. In the case of the most recent pictures above, I found that the little guy kept flying around and coming back to the same spot repeatedly, so I set up and then only needed to make minor movements...

Playing around with my new macro filters.. For $15 it's a lot of fun. For this picture I hate how most of him is out of focus/ the shallow depth of field. Taken with a Canon 40D, Tamron 28-300 with a +2 and +4 macro filter. On my lawn chair which made for an excellent background.

Attachments

• $_MG_5579.jpg
    $_MG_5579.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 107
Top Bottom