What's new

Pelikan Edelstein ink. Thoughts?

I have a bottle of the Tanzerite, and its good. Wet enough to lay a good line and no or minimal feathering on decent paper.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I've been wanting to try these but I have so many other inks! And $25 for 50ml?

At a pen show someone let me fill my pen with Edelstein black and it did seem a little less dry than the normal brilliant black. Other than that I couldn't tell the difference. I would be more apt to purchase a couple if they weren't so costly, most of which is probably that lovely bottle. Meanwhile, I'm happy with my regular Pelikan Royal Blue and the hard to source blue-black.

I have Onyx and Aventurine. I just finished writing a letter with Onyx, and it works very well with my new M200. With the Broad nib it looks a little on the greyer side of black. I have never used the regular Pelikan Brilliant black so I cannot compare them.
The Aventurine is a nice, darker green, but maybe nothing special... Great shading with the 800 BB nib.
I have been only using Pelikan ink in my 805, and plan to with my 200 as well but may just go the regular Pelikan ink route to see if there is a difference. I love the regular Pelikan Royal Blue, it is my go to ink for testing new pens. It does write on the dry side with smaller nibs I find though.

The cost and the fact that I have enough ink is keeping me away.
I saw some on the bay for $20 a bottle (+ shipping) but I just can't do it.
If I didn't have any ink left I would probably try it.

Smooth, wet, vibrant inks. Nice bottles. To me, similar to Iroshizuku. I have Tanzanite, Topaz, and Sapphire. Not disappointed by any of them.

The Goulets have the Edelstein inks on sale this week. $21.00, but use the B&B code and they are a little less... I just ordered Topaz and Tanzanite...

The Goulets have the Edelstein inks on sale this week. $21.00, but use the B&B code and they are a little less... I just ordered Topaz and Tanzanite...

Gaah! Now I really have to consider this. Nobody do a run on Edelstein until I get to think about it first.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Don't worry, I will refrain from buying any. Bullgoose just got DR Harris Windsor soap, so you know what my next purchase is. Oh, and I did the right thing and let the sabbatical guys know it is now available :biggrin:

Don't worry, I will refrain from buying any. Bullgoose just got DR Harris Windsor soap, so you know what my next purchase is. Oh, and I did the right thing and let the sabbatical guys know it is now available :biggrin:

I just saw that too...it's pushing ink to the curb. My BullGoose shopping cart is over $100, and I got to decide what I'm going to eliminate.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I just saw that too...it's pushing ink to the curb. My BullGoose shopping cart is over $100, and I got to decide what I'm going to eliminate.
Eliminate? Don't you want to take advantage of free shipping? :001_smile

But the ink sale is only for this week... I know it is only a couple of bucks, but it helps!
I've been wanting Windsor too, next week I guess...

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
But the ink sale is only for this week... I know it is only a couple of bucks, but it helps!
I've been wanting Windsor too, next week I guess...
I can't justify more ink this week. I am almost out of Benton Clay Vetiver Paradisi, which is the best soap I have ever smelled. From the description, Windsor sounds like it will smells similar. I am are my wife will buy that excuse :001_smile

So I have been using the Edelstein inks that I have a lot more this week, paying more attention because of this thread. The inks perform great, nice and wet and have great shading. I ordered the two more bottles, and they came today so now I can't wait to try those out! Maybe I will post a pic showing them once I get my 805 back with it's new nib :thumbup:

Here are small reviews of the 4 Edelstein inks I have. The more I use them, the more I like them. Topaz and Aventurine have great shading, Tanzanite may also if used with a larger nib. Topaz writes much wetter and saturated than the regular Pelikan Royal blue that I have.

Attachments

• $Pelikan Aventurine 001.jpg
    $Pelikan Aventurine 001.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 56
  • $Pelikan Onyx 001.jpg
    $Pelikan Onyx 001.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 57
  • $Pelikan Tanzanite 001.jpg
    $Pelikan Tanzanite 001.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 56
  • $Pelikan Topaz 001.jpg
    $Pelikan Topaz 001.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 56
IMHO, I wish that Pelikan would have simply retooled/added to the 4001 line. A fancy bottle and a few different shades does not justify the additional cost. The 4001 line performs well but could use an expanded color palette.

I have to admit that I am giving the Topaz a second look.

Top Bottom