What's new

I Don't Like Astra SPs or Feathers all that Much.

I just don't seem to care much for the very sharp blade types, like the Astra SPs and Feathers.

I'm glad they exist else my Weber DLC, Gillette Sterling and Big Roc razors wouldn't much work well at all.

However, when used in every razor I own, except for the Weber DLC, I wind up getting rawness and very fine acne on my chin, no matter which soap or cream I use. I just seem to get a scraping from them that I don't get either from less sharp blades, like Gillette Super Thins and SuperMax Stainless Steel or from sharp cartridge razors, like Fusion and Mach 3

After reading the near universal praise for these very sharp blades here, I was just wondering if anybody else isn't partial to them, the way I am not partial to them?
Regards,
Renato

The Astra's for me are a decent middle of the road blade which is very affordable (works well in the majority of my razors), but I never really like the Feather blades. I have revisited the Feather many times but it just doesn't work for me.

Your problem may be more technique then products.

You should maintain a consistent 30° angle and not vary. You don't want to use your razor like a paint scraper and scratch off your beard, you want to cut it cleanly.

To help mitigate razor burn and cut down on nicks and weepers, you should use your off (free) hand and stretch your skin in the area you are shaving.

Grab your skin at the base of your side burns and pull up for your back cheek area and puff air into your cheeks for shaving around the front of your cheeks.

Grab your throat with the flat of your hand below your lather an pull down for your neck and throat, moving your hand around as you shave to stay below your razor.

Grab your cheeks and pull back to stretch your chin.

You can make silly faces to help stretch areas that are hard to reach

If you find you have a difficult time holding where you have lathered, rubbing your fingers on an alum block will give them enough grip to hold on to a wet or lathered area

This will help your razor glide over your skin instead of bunching it up in front of the blade as you move it.

You should maintain a consistent 30° angle and not vary. You don't want to use your razor like a paint scraper and scratch off your beard, you want to cut it cleanly.

To help mitigate razor burn and cut down on nicks and weepers, you should use your off (free) hand and stretch your skin in the area you are shaving.

Grab your skin at the base of your side burns and pull up for your back cheek area and puff air into your cheeks for shaving around the front of your cheeks.

Grab your throat with the flat of your hand below your lather an pull down for your neck and throat, moving your hand around as you shave to stay below your razor.

If you find you have a difficult time holding where you have lathered, rubbing your fingers on an alum block will give them enough grip to hold on to a wet or lathered area

This will help your razor glide over your skin instead of bunching it up in front of the blade as you move it.

Wise words. I followed your advice, and especially appreciate the tip about fingers on the alum block for better grip - it made a huge difference!

:thumbup:

I like sharp blades, but I didn't like the Astra SP's or Feathers either, because for me, they weren't particularly smooth.

The Astra's for me are a decent middle of the road blade which is very affordable (works well in the majority of my razors), but I never really like the Feather blades. I have revisited the Feather many times but it just doesn't work for me.

Interesting. Can you put your finger on what it was you didn't like about the Feather?
Regards,
Renato

Thanks for all that information.

I don't have a problem with these blades on my cheeks, throat area or under my nose, but it's always in the chin area.
I do the funny faces, but not the stretching by hand.
I'm practicing now, and the only thing I can think of that would have an effect on that area is pushing my lower lip back over my teeth. Kind of uncomfortable, but I'll give it a go tomorrow.
Regards,
Renato

I like sharp blades, but I didn't like the Astra SP's or Feathers either, because for me, they weren't particularly smooth.

Thanks. I suspect my concept of what constitutes rough and smooth differs from yours. So far, the only things I classify as "rough" are cheap single and double blade disposable razors, some double bladed cartridges, and DE blades in cheap Twist-To-Open razors. But I don't think you'd be referring to that level of roughness with these blades. Perhaps I'll understand what you mean when I try more blades.
Regards,
Renato

Thanks. I suspect my concept of what constitutes rough and smooth differs from yours. So far, the only things I classify as "rough" are cheap single and double blade disposable razors, some double bladed cartridges, and DE blades in cheap Twist-To-Open razors. But I don't think you'd be referring to that level of roughness with these blades. Perhaps I'll understand what you mean when I try more blades.
Regards,
Renato

The first time that I shaved with a vintage Schick Platinum Plus blade, I was completely astonished at how effortlessly the blade cut through my beard. It literally felt like I was using a razor without a blade. There was no tugging or pulling or anything, just cutting. And it didn't matter if I went WTG, XTG, or ATG. That is what I mean by smooth. I get the same sort of shave with both colors of Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum blades.

I read all of this talk about revisiting blades after you improve your technique, using sharp blades in mild razors, and vice versa, and all that stuff, but for me, if a blade doesn't work right away, in any razor, I won't try it again.

Interesting. Can you put your finger on what it was you didn't like about the Feather?
Regards,
Renato

I found the blade to be really sharp, but not smooth at all. The blade longevity just was not there for me. I am pretty sound in my technique and prep but the Feather just doesn't agree with me. This is definitely a YMMV thing.

Thanks for all that information.

I don't have a problem with these blades on my cheeks, throat area or under my nose, but it's always in the chin area.
I do the funny faces, but not the stretching by hand.
I'm practicing now, and the only thing I can think of that would have an effect on that area is pushing my lower lip back over my teeth. Kind of uncomfortable, but I'll give it a go tomorrow.
Regards,
Renato

Well, I gave it a go as I said I would, and wound up with four or five badly bleeding nicks in the troublesome area on my chin.
No nicks anywhere else.
I'm not sure what is going on.
Regards,
Renato

The first time that I shaved with a vintage Schick Platinum Plus blade, I was completely astonished at how effortlessly the blade cut through my beard. It literally felt like I was using a razor without a blade. There was no tugging or pulling or anything, just cutting. And it didn't matter if I went WTG, XTG, or ATG. That is what I mean by smooth. I get the same sort of shave with both colors of Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum blades.

I read all of this talk about revisiting blades after you improve your technique, using sharp blades in mild razors, and vice versa, and all that stuff, but for me, if a blade doesn't work right away, in any razor, I won't try it again.

Thanks for the thorough explanation about what you consider smooth. I have a few Gillette 7 O'Clocks that I haven't tried yet, and I may better understand when I get round to them.

If I used your criterion about if a blade doesn't work in any razor, I'd have to throw most of my blades out - because very few work properly in my ultra-mild Weber DLC razor, as they don't cut beard well enough. But it is the only razor I have zero problem with when using the Feather and Astra SP blades.
Regards,
Renato

I found the blade to be really sharp, but not smooth at all. The blade longevity just was not there for me. I am pretty sound in my technique and prep but the Feather just doesn't agree with me. This is definitely a YMMV thing.

Interesting that this common theme occurs among some people. I wonder what the common factor is that results in this outcome?
Regards,
Renato

I agree with the OP almost 100%. Feathers are absolutely the sharpest blades out there and I'd use them all the time if they didn't slash my face to bits. Astras, on the other hand, are the most overrated blades I have ever used. Not particularly sharp, extremely lacerating, and a fight with every stroke.

From my limited experience, I've found Feathers to be sharp but a little on the rough side. I'm quite liking the Astras though. current faves are sharck SC but I've found the Astra quite similar, close and smooth shaves.

I'm not sure why I've found the Feathers a bit rough though. I would assume the sharper the smoother but it's not worked that way with me yet. I'm still going through a sampler pack so will continue with the Feathers. I'm going to bite the bullet and try them with the Muhle R41 when i pick it ip Wednesday, albeit may be not straight away.

I agree with the OP almost 100%. Feathers are absolutely the sharpest blades out there and I'd use them all the time if they didn't slash my face to bits. Astras, on the other hand, are the most overrated blades I have ever used. Not particularly sharp, extremely lacerating, and a fight with every stroke.
Fascinating - today I'm recovering from all the nicks from the using what I consider as ultra-sharp Astra SPs (mentioned above), and you find them not that sharp. I'm almost wondering if we're talking about the same blades - or is there that much variation between batches of blades.
Renato

Top Bottom