What's new

For Science!

First, a little about myself. I'm a 22 year-old from Australia who has been shaving for long enough to forget when I started. I'm currently working at a retail store which sells 'personal grooming' products and I'm loving it. But I can't understand one thing; the amount of people who are willing to scrape their face with a disposable razor.

Like everyone else around me, I started shaving with cartridge razors, and soon discovered that both Gillette and Shick's canned goo invoked the wrath of the skin-gods; my previously smooth and healthy skin started to dry out and crack whenever I would shave. For the next few years I struggled with my patchy facial hair, unhappy skin, and a host of different products until I was convinced to buy a DE safety razor.

The first nervous passes with a single blade are vivid in my mind; feather blades (so sharp!) slide hair from flesh without any protest at all. Immediate love followed as my skin became healthy, and my now heavier beard stayed gone. This was about 3 years ago, I've since become so comfortable with my Merkur long-handle DE that I advocate a proper wet shave to almost everyone I meet. My last shave was a four pass shave which left me BBS and my cheeks burning in the cool winter air. But now it's the time for change; this time I'm swapping to a straight.

So, all in the name of science, I pooled my meager resources and bought myself a Dovo full-hollow 5/8 razor with olive wood handle, Gresham strop and new Omega silvertip brush (all at a bargain price because of my lovely place of employ). With my wallet feeling a fair bit lighter, I headed home with a bag full of beautiful craftsmanship.

The first shave:
First, a basin of hot water for my Omega brush, soaked and lathered a few times to soften the already silky knot. Then a nice long shower to relax; I wanted to be in the right state of mind for this shave. I loaded up with Truefitt and Hill soap and created the best face lather I could (I'm still waiting on a local potter for my scuttle). Taking a deep breath to calm the same nerves from my first DE shave, I took my stropped blade in hand, and started with my right cheek. Cool metal invokes a marvelous scratching sound as is passes over my cheek it takes me a few minutes and a little experimentation to become comfortable with the angle of my hand, but soon I find myself peeling lather and hair alike from my skin.

The right side of my face was clear, no nicks, no cuts, and feeling somewhat lighter without the 3-day growth I had started with. But now the left side remained, and a new wave of fear arrived with the sight of it. I'm no ambidextrous monster of shaving capability; surely I would cut myself!
I went back to my brush and whipped up more lather (I knew that I would take long enough on half of my face to warrant another application.) This time a little more tentative, I take the razor in my left hand. I can't quite seem to get the angle right, and it takes me a few minutes to progress much further than my cheek. But with each short stroke, I realise that I'm not likely to cut myself, and I might even get a decent shave out of my first pass.

The second pass WTG went much quicker, I know that I can avoid cutting myself, so I relax and even try a little blade buffing when I approach the unusual direction change of the grain at my jawline. Another lather and a third pass soon follows, this time XTG just to experiment. By now I know that the shave is passable and my skin probably doesn't want to take much more. So I wash out my brush, let the sink out and wash my face with ice-cold water.

Looking at the result of my first straight shave, I've come to the conclusion that there will be nothing more enjoyable than mastering this art. I didn't cut myself, which I count as a huge success, and a passable shave on the left side with a considerably closer one on the right side is ok by me. I've been back to the DE for my recent shaves just because I haven't had the time before work, but I'm eagerly awaiting tomorrow morning and a day off to spend happily pressing cool metal to my face.

So, in the name of science, I have discovered what will no doubt become one of my favourite activities. And I can not wait to buy some new soaps in the name of science too. :D

P.S. if anyone feels like it, I'd love to know how people keep their straights from accumulating soap-scum after use, I'm just a bit reluctant to wipe them down after use without knowing if there's a better way.

I just rinse mine off with hot water from the tap. If you need to you can wipe it down with a damp sponge without ruining your edge.

Jack, nice write up.

I rinse my razor under hot running water-edge down, toe down. The idea is not to get the pivot area wet. Be warned faucets have caused many a ding in these parts.

Enjoy

Legion

Staff member
Nice first post, and hello to a fellow Aussie.

Did you have your razor honed or is it the factory edge from Dovo? The consensus seems to be that the edge can be tweaked to get more than the factory provides, if the edge is honed by someone who knows how.

As far as keeping the blade clean, don't be afraid to give it a wipe. Just be sure to go along the blade, not across it. You'll be wanting to give it a wipe, especially in the pivot area, to make sure it is dry before putting it away.

I rinse my blade under the tap as I shave (sometimes I wipe it on a towel, but goddamn an extra hand towel in the laundry every single day is hardly worth it). Then I dry them on whatever towel is convenient. I've heard horror stories of people whacking their razor against the tap, but fortunately such has not been my fate in about four years shaving with a straight.

And disposables (and electrics) were always miserable shaves for me. Until I started with a straight, I used a trimmer on its lowest setting because I could not stand "shaving" in the modern ways. Disposables clogged every single swipe I took with them and electrics ripped the hair out of my face even with brand new heads.

I've DE shaved a dozen or so times, but I learned straights first, and honestly DE's tend to give me some weepers if I ever try for a really smooth shave (just me trying to get straight-level smoothness out of a razor that can't do it I figure), so they will never supplant straights in my cabinet. If I lived a century ago, I'd be the one getting quite upset when they took my straight away and insisted I use a safety (as I understood some branches of the military did during WWI).

Last edited:
Thankyou all for the brilliant advice (not that I haven't had my share of it in the last few months convincing myself to buy a straight!)
I'm keeping well away from the tap and edges of the basin, but I think the sponge may be the way to go. I know that I have to fairly regularly clean my straight of all the soap scum which builds on it.

As to moving from straight to DE, I can imagine it would be as foreign as moving the other way, only without the knowledge that you'll eventually be getting the best shave of your life. I used to get a few weepers from my DE, now though I think it will take me a long time to surpass the quality of shave I get with it.

I'm wearing socks that haven't been washed since he was born.

What are socks? I just walk through the field and collect the right color of dirt. Works a charm and I only have to do it occasionally to keep away the flies.

If I rinse the razor, it is rare. I usually wipe it lengthwise with my fingers to get any soap off between strokes. I then wipe it down with a lightly dampened rag (as long as the pivot pin isn't gunked), strop it lightly, dry it overnight in my stand, lube it, and put it away. I lube each time because my rotation is long enough that the razor is in storage most of the time.

Yeah, well, all this oooga-booga caveman stuff...I now have to admit that I powder my toungue with coti powder then lick my blade and my saliva protects it from rust and keeps it sharp.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Yeah, well, all this oooga-booga caveman stuff...I now have to admit that I powder my toungue with coti powder then lick my blade and my saliva protects it from rust and keeps it sharp.

Talk about macho.

OP, I enjoyed reading your post. Your use of the word "peeling" had me wincing just a bit though. Am I correct in thinking you're left-handed? Also interesting to read that you work in a retail outlet that sells straights.

As for wiping your blade, how about using a "vintage" sock?

For me a folded face cloth over the edge of the sink for wiping off during the shave (spine first of course) - means I can keep the razor and my hands dry. When finished shaving I just "strop" a couple of times on the towel against my leg (standing with towel around waist), couple of strops on hand and then 20 or so on my strop when I get back to the bedroom.

Seems rather involved now that I write it down :) but is second nature now and never had problems with soap scum. Only time I get water near my razors is when honing. Slippery hands and sharp razors scare me.

Sounds like your first straight shave went great. Very glad to hear that. Take it slow, get some pasted strops or a nice vintage barber's hone and you'll be good to go. Try some TOBS Jermyn St. cream first chance you get, too! Love olive wood. smile.

John

Top Bottom