What's new

2012 London Olympics Thread

Can't wait for the Olympics. Such an inspiring two weeks of competition. Looking forward to many events: track and field, swimming, rowing, diving, basketball, triathlon.

We have members here from so many different countries so it's a great opportunity to cheer on your country and post any interesting news about stuff other countries wouldn't cover.

Just waiting for it all to be over. Huge waste of money we don't have to make a few people and companies rich.

It's the maths that confuses me. When London "won" it seven years ago, it was going to cost under £3 billion. It has cost £9 billion and still rising and, apparently, that's under budget!

The maths I learned in school in the 60's must have changed beyond all recognition it £3B can become £9B and still be classed as Under Budget!

Gareth

I used to cheer on the Toronto contingents that were campaigning to bring the games here, but in truth, I don't mourn the fact that we're not going to be hosting them. I suspect hosting the Pan Am Games will be costly enough. I also would not want to be the host city following the Beijing Games. That's a tough act to follow and four years isn't a long enough time for people to forget that. Regardless, here's to the athletes! May they be safe and perhaps even have fun.

I used to cheer on the Toronto contingents that were campaigning to bring the games here, but in truth, I don't mourn the fact that we're not going to be hosting them. I suspect hosting the Pan Am Games will be costly enough. I also would not want to be the host city following the Beijing Games. That's a tough act to follow and four years isn't a long enough time for people to forget that. Regardless, here's to the athletes! May they be safe and perhaps even have fun.

Yep I remember Toronto bidding for the 2008 games and losing out. Wow I was a kid back then! Beijing indeed did a great job but for me the competition is more important than the stadiums and stuff.

Anyone have a stream link to the Opening Ceremonies?

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I hated the last two summer games. Every time I'd turn on the tv, there would be stupid beach volleyball.

Well I might be against it all but the opening ceremony was quite entertaining until all these athletes started parading on. Been going for an age and they are still only up to Monaco! All going downhill...

Gareth

Well I might be against it all but the opening ceremony was quite entertaining until all these athletes started parading on. Been going for an age and they are still only up to Monaco! All going downhill...

Gareth

Lucky for Greece that they're always first lol.

I'm going to DVR the boxing matches but they are pretty much the only thing I'm moderately interested in. I prefer the winter olympics myself, where you get to see fat guys from Canada and Scandinavia smoking Marlboros as they slide rocks at each other.

Yes...I was looking for an Olympic thread! I got the fever for sure...waiting another 1.5 hours for the opening ceremony to air on the West Coast! Biding my time w/ margaritas.

I recorded the opening ceremony and watched it with judicious use of the fast-forward button. It was much better than I expected, though the switching to pre-recorded footage seemed odd. I expect they were seeing the video in the stadium, but as a TV viewer I felt I was being taken away from the event.

Still trying to work out why the announcements were done in French before English. Or why the French announcements were done at all! It was pointless (and rather offensive really.)
Ironically when the French head of the IOC came on he spoke in English. Top marks to him.

And remember, the Olympics never creates problems for the host city. It just "presents challenges." I've lost count of the number of times Seb Coe and politicians have used the word "challenge" in recent weeks. I fear that the word "problem" has already been removed from the dictionary by the Newspeak people. Next time you watch the news just count how often the word "challenge" is used. It's treated as a universal spin word for playing down a problem and placing the burden of fixing it on someone else's shoulders.

Apparently the official languages of the Olympics are English and French. They also speak the language of the host country, in this case, also English.

Just watched most of the opening ceremony on NBC.
I was bemused by the early reports of Boyle's description of the Tor, mosh pit, fields, sheep and a tribute to the NHS.
But by golly it seemed to work.

The Queen parachuting in with Bond was so cheesy I could not stop giggling.
Jolly good show!

Growing up in Europe I loved watching the Olympics. Now, not so much- not the least is the **** poor coverage by US TV.

Still trying to work out why the announcements were done in French before English. Or why the French announcements were done at all! It was pointless (and rather offensive really.)
Ironically when the French head of the IOC came on he spoke in English. Top marks to him.

I believe the official language of the IOC is French. Any announcements are made in French, English, and then the language of the host country. Like in '08, they did everything in French, English, and then Chinese. Since it's in the UK they don't need to repeat.

Top Bottom