What's new

Ordered new slant, any advice?

Hello, i just ordered a new Merkur Slant after hearing so much about it. Anyone experienced with a slant have any advice? Do you shave with just as you would with any other DE razor? thank you for your help

Use short, unhurried, deliberate strokes. Be attentive, use a shallow angle and light delicate pressure, and it'll provide a fine shave without irritation. :001_wub:

Just understand that the slant can be somewhat unforgiving if you're sloppy with technique. View attachment $Samari.gif

Enjoy.

-- John Gehman

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
The slant is one of my very favorite razors. Shave as you normally would, with just a wee bit extra care and attention, and you'll be rewarded with a smooth, close shave.

Technique, Technique, Technique. Be very attentive to your technique and let the razor do the work for you... NO PRESSURE... It is heavy enough to do the job and it will do a very good job indeed... Do not fear it, but do respect it...

Let us know how it works for you, but I think you will be very pleased with the outcome...

I actually use use long strokes....I would think that one would have to...to really get the benefit of the "slicing" of the blade...

I make sure I get a good lather and I let the weight of the razor do the job...

Also I use a feather or a IP ..blade the sharper the better and don't let the blade get dull.

I actually use use long strokes....I would think that one would have to...to really get the benefit of the "slicing" of the blade...

+1
I have found the longer strokes to work better with the Slant and are far less harsh on my skin than many shorter strokes. Especially at this time of year when my skin tends to dry out a bit.

The only DE I use. Shave as you would with any normal DE. Be a little more attentive around prominent areas. There is absolutely nothing to fear about it, providing you are adept with a normal DE. Enjoy.

I love my slant. It use to be my favorite until I discovered the GEM I recently bought.

Bottom line: Ignore all the gloom and doom about this razor. It gives a sweet shave and any newbie can handle it.

Enjoy!

One more hint, from a fair-to-middlin' Noob who's speaking from experience:

Don't try using it 24 hours or so after a real close shave (unless you have a heavy beard, which I don't). I love my Slant, but get the best shaves with a 36 or 48 hour growth. I can usually (with a good lather) get BBS or damn close with 3 passes, and very VERY acceptable with 2.

Note this is IMHO and YMMV and anything else that may apply.:thumbup:

After a few strokes, you'll find that the slant is just another DE razor. Deserving of respect, not fear!

Yeah, agreed. I really don't like the slant much at all, but it is fairly harmless. (Well, you know, it is a razor, and has a very sharp blade, but.....)

And of course, if you normally do any kind of a "Gillette slide," skip that. It doesn't really agree with the slant design.

-Mo

My advice: DO NOT switch brands when using a Slant. Use whatever blades you would normally use in your DE. I am a Derby user, but upon reading many positive posts regarding the Feather/Slant combo, I decided to go that route. My face didn't appreciate it, and it almost put me off the idea of using the Slant. I'm not saying don't try it, but just advising to stick with whatever blade your face is used to at first.

-Pete

My advice: DO NOT switch brands when using a Slant. Use whatever blades you would normally use in your DE. I am a Derby user, but upon reading many positive posts regarding the Feather/Slant combo, I decided to go that route. My face didn't appreciate it, and it almost put me off the idea of using the Slant. I'm not saying don't try it, but just advising to stick with whatever blade your face is used to at first.

-Pete

I have been wondering about that as well. Most posts I have seen about the slant recommend a Feather blade/Slant razor combination. But when I use a Feather in my Progress I tend to get more nicks than other blades. Does any one else recommend another razor blade in conjunction with the Slant?

I have a Slant en route, so I am curious...

snip... Does any one else recommend another razor blade in conjunction with the Slant?

I keep a good stock of Derby, Feather, Red Pack IP and Merkur blades around, and have used 'em all in my Slant (and basically, in all my razors).

Personally, I prefer the Derby (4 Slant shaves) and the Red Pack IP (3 shaves max) in the Slant and don't really care which I use, I rate both these the same in this razor.

I have been wondering about that as well. Most posts I have seen about the slant recommend a Feather blade/Slant razor combination. But when I use a Feather in my Progress I tend to get more nicks than other blades. Does any one else recommend another razor blade in conjunction with the Slant?

I use Derby Extra almost exclusively. I have tried Feathers in my HD & 38C, but still prefer the Derbys. When I tried the Feather/Slant combo, same story as when I used them in my other DE's - simply too harsh for my liking, in ANY razor, but they work great for others. I suggest starting with whatever brand of blade your face likes in your other DE's, and deviate only if your dissatisfied with your results... or just plain curious.

-Pete

I also prefer the Derby in my Slant as it is a good, all round blade. I tried it with a Feather for a few days last week and I felt I was nearly getting skinned rather than shaved :eek: I now use the Feathers in the Fatboy as this combo is a bit more user-friendly!

Derby Extra's are my favourite blade and suit my 3 DE's just fine. Although it's always good to experiment to find out what suits.

I've use several types of blades in my Slant. My preference is either Derby or Crystals from Israel. I get 4-5 shaves from these blades. The Slant is my best razor for ATG, no irritation and very close/smooth.

Top Bottom