What's new

Did you ever dislike a smell then eventually like the smell of an AS product?

There's a store that sells wet-shaving stuff that I have popped in to a couple times and made a few purchases. It appears they carry the full line of Pinaud products, and, even better, they have open bottles you can test/smell/sample from. I was able to finally smell what their Bay Rum, Special Reserve, and yes, the notorious V.E.G.

I actually went right to the Veg first, because it is so often written about and is so polarizing with users. It's the best. Or it's the most repugnant. Depending on who you ask.

Not necessarily in reference to the Veg, maybe any product smell... have you hated it at first, but then over time you really liked it?

For the record I thought the Veg was pretty nasty. But I know so many wet-shavers can't be wrong. So I have to assume it is so advanced that my brain can't process how good it is, so it just reads it as smelling bad! :001_cool:

bayrum did not like it at all untill I got some free samples after doing some shopping and wore it around it grew on me now its my go to winter a/s

I first smelled it and thought it smelled like an expensive lemon gum drop. After a few uses, I came to like it. Over time, it's become one of my favorites - it has a little more subtlety than I appreciated at first and it's a nice, subtle aftershave with a lot of nice healing properties.

I just bought some aqua velva ice sport. I swear a skunk farted in the bottle. but hey, after that initial funk is gone it's ok. not my favorite by the way. but does wonders on closing the pores.

I used to think Brut smelled noxious but now I don't mind it so much.

I still don't wear it but I wouldn't be repulsed if I had to; I'd definitely save money if I stuck to it!

Didn't like Clubman but now I really like the scent. I use both the A/S and Talc which smells exactly the same.

Did not like Boosters Oriental Spice at all when I first used it. Not sure why, but tried it again and agin... Ended up liking it as a change now and then.

There's a store that sells wet-shaving stuff that I have popped in to a couple times and made a few purchases. It appears they carry the full line of Pinaud products, and, even better, they have open bottles you can test/smell/sample from. I was able to finally smell what their Bay Rum, Special Reserve, and yes, the notorious V.E.G.

I actually went right to the Veg first, because it is so often written about and is so polarizing with users. It's the best. Or it's the most repugnant. Depending on who you ask.

Not necessarily in reference to the Veg, maybe any product smell... have you hated it at first, but then over time you really liked it?

For the record I thought the Veg was pretty nasty. But I know so many wet-shavers can't be wrong. So I have to assume it is so advanced that my brain can't process how good it is, so it just reads it as smelling bad! :001_cool:

The Veg smells bad at first impression. What I did to coax the true smell out of it was refrigerate it. Another way is to relocate it to a glass decanter, the way it was originally sold.

Pashana - the powder bomb startled me when I first used it. Now I use less and apply it with damp palms. Very nice.

Master Iceland Breeze. Couldn't stand it at first, but now I like to use it occasionally, at least during the warm weather.

For me, it was THE VEG. Initially, I understood all the cat urine references and laughed @ the thought of anyone actually wearing it on purpose. I was one of those members who always made fun of the next shaver talking about how great it smelled-then it dawned on me that I had never tried it.

Purchased a bottle, smelled it, almost threw up, let the dog smell it, he growled @ me and so it was left to decant in a glass bottle. Returned to it after some time (months) and it was now nectar of the gods.

Wear it every chance I get now.

There are a couple of aftershaves I have where I'm not rapt with when they first go on. Davidoff's "Cool Water" is one of these. However, I like what it fades to and then it has a (pleasant) staying power of at least 12 hours.

Top Bottom