What's new

Single Malt Scotch

Last weekend I had the best single malt I've ever tasted by far: Bunnahabhain XXV.

A few of us went out to celebrate a mate's engagement. Sometime after midnight we decided a good scotch was in order so we found our way to a basement bar called Fume Blu (it used to a cigar lounge until they banned smoking indoors). I suggested a Bunnahabhain as the best choice on the list 'cause not everyone likes the in-your-face smoke and peat of a Lagauvalin or Ardbeg. In a fit of generosity one of us bought three of the above 25 year old vowel laden monsters rather than the 16 year I suggested! Add in a couple of Remy XOs for the non-scotch drinkers and it was the first time he's spent more than a hundred bucks on a round for five people.

Price aside, it was truely an amazing drop. Perfect in every way. A little smokey peat but not enough to put anyone off, a little oak, a little cork, a little brine. Everything in perfect balance and nothing out of place or jarring. I had to follow it with a Lagauvalin just to make sure I hadn't ruined all other scotch (thankfully the answer is no).

If you like your whisky and you get the chance to try this stuff grab it with both hands and don't let go.

So, what's your best scotch or other whisky?

total noob to it, mostly financial reasons. so my experience is very limited. but id say dalwhinnie 15.

I just finished off a bottle of Glenlivet 18 that I had been sipping away at for the past few years. Very enjoyable. Otherwise, my go to glass when I'm out and about is Lagavulin.

I just finished off a bottle of Glenlivet 18 that I had been sipping away at for the past few years. Very enjoyable. Otherwise, my go to glass when I'm out and about is Lagavulin.

Glenlivet 18 sounds awesome. I've had younger (12 years, maybe?) and found it rather firey for a Speyside. Six more years in the barren should sort out any such tendencies.

I used to drink the 12 year old Lagavulin 'cause it was the cheapest single malt around here (must be latent Scottish blood). The 16 year old is great stuff - all smoke and peat and iodine. Second only to...

I'm a big fan of Ardbeg. The 1975 used to be my favorite but I can't get them anymore so, I go for the 10 YO.

...Ardbeg in the peat and iodine stakes. I was looking online at the Ardbeg variations we don't get locally like Toiteach and Aligator. They sound like monsters I have to try.

I can find two 1975s online - one bottled in 2000 and one in 2005. Both, regrettably for silly money or long out of stock...

I can find two 1975s online - one bottled in 2000 and one in 2005. Both, regrettably for silly money or long out of stock...
Don't remember when my 1975was bottled. But I wasn't so happy when my x-gf took my little collection (box with 12 bottles) and disappeared.

Macallan 18 is a staple. I'm not huge on the in your face peat moss. Love the smokiness of it. HAS to be from the sherry cask though. Which i'm finding increasingly more difficult to find locally.

Oooh, you lucky dog!!! :)

My three absolute favorites are the Lagavulin 16 yo, and Laphroaig Quarter Cask, (less medicinal, more mellow despite the alcohol content than the 10, though the 15 is equally great). The Lapghriag 18 year is also wonderful, enjoying ad ram right now in fact. Huge fan of Ardbeg 10 as well (though the Ardbeg Uigeadai is sublime, just sublime - easily one of the best of the lot) but if I had to pick just one, I'd stick with Lagavulin 16. it's affordable (cough) , it's delicious and for me it's perfect.

I've not tried the Bunnahabhain 25 though I've enjoyed the 12 & 18 a few times over the years and it's right up my alley -I can only imagine how smooth the 25 must be. Fortunately I've been so happy with Lag 16 I won't feel sorry for myself for not having the opportunity LOL (tongue firmly in cheek) Though I am glad it didn't ruin you on Lagavulin (God forbid! LOL)

What irks me most about living in Pennsylvania, aside from Pennsylvania corruption (those Judges in the Kids for Cash debacle all live within 5 miles of me), is how limited the variety of Scotch our State stores sell - sure we can have bottles shipped to our state stores but there is a charge and tax on top of it.

Though I usually pick up a few bottles of Bruichladdich, usually the 10 year, but I so want to try their First Growth Cuvee (which is finished in Chateaux Margaux casks).. one day.

When in the mood for a non-Islay, I generally grab The Balvenie 15 or Aberlour a'bunadh (cask strength - 120+ proof). WOW!

which brings me to the next logical Question: how do you prefer your scotch? neat? on rocks? 1 cube? splash of water? drop of water? ____________?

Personally, I'm a neat or a single drop of Fiji scotch drinker - unless I'm tackling a cask strength whisky in which case I'll add as much Fiji as necessary to make it palatable :) Enjoying a dram of Laphroiag 18 right now (neat) :)

$tonights scotch.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, my understanding it that the Bunnahabhain 25 is possibly one of the best whiskies ever, regardless of region. Not to mention 5 shots for roughly 100 bucks sounds like a fair deal at a bar!

consider me envious!

I really have never met a single malt that I did not like and what is my favorite depends a lot on the mood I am in. Lagavulin is my go-to scotch, but by no means the only one I drink.

I have not tried the Bunnahabhain 25, but I have enjoyed the 12 & 18 a few times over the years and it's Excellent.

If you ever get the chance to go to Calgary, there is a GREAT place called Buchanans Chop House. They have something like 150 Single Malts and the food is good tooo! The first time I went, I took a cab so I could indulge and I spent $160 CAD and enjoyed every sip.

I do not know if the link will work, but here is their scortch list.

http://buchanans.soukoun.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/whisky_list.pdf

Talisker, Laphroaig, Oban... There are too many greats to mention. Jura 15 is probably the best I've tasted recently. There's actually a bar relatively near me that has a dedicated whiskey menu - over 200 types on offer. If you're not careful it rapidly become a very expensive night

Beautiful image there, nice man room! I like Ardbeg 10, Highland Park 12 and 18. Recently had a taste of Talisker 18 that was amazing.

thanks!!!

the upside of being a bachelor... LOL

Talisker, Bowmore, Cao Ila

oh so many to choose!

and Jura!!

ok time for a dram!

Gentlemen

I have had them all. I do not enjoy the peat types you see in Laphroaig, as well as Lagavulin.
I am a fan os the Speyside. My 6 shoooter is Glenlivet 12 yo.
I have enjpoyed the Glenlivet 16.
I also like Glenfidditch all ages.
I want to buy the Mac Callan 50yo??
1200 bucks a bottle, just to have it.
I also enjoy Mac Callan 12 yo.

I wish you all a nice day
Jim

Oooh, you lucky dog!!! :)

My three absolute favorites are the Lagavulin 16 yo, and Laphroaig Quarter Cask, (less medicinal, more mellow despite the alcohol content than the 10, though the 15 is equally great). The Lapghriag 18 year is also wonderful, enjoying ad ram right now in fact. Huge fan of Ardbeg 10 as well (though the Ardbeg Uigeadai is sublime, just sublime - easily one of the best of the lot) but if I had to pick just one, I'd stick with Lagavulin 16. it's affordable (cough) , it's delicious and for me it's perfect.

I've not tried the Bunnahabhain 25 though I've enjoyed the 12 & 18 a few times over the years and it's right up my alley -I can only imagine how smooth the 25 must be. Fortunately I've been so happy with Lag 16 I won't feel sorry for myself for not having the opportunity LOL (tongue firmly in cheek) Though I am glad it didn't ruin you on Lagavulin (God forbid! LOL

What irks me most about living in Pennsylvania, aside from Pennsylvania corruption (those Judges in the Kids for Cash debacle all live within 5 miles of me), is how limited the variety of Scotch our State stores sell - sure we can have bottles shipped to our state stores but there is a charge and tax on top of it.

Though I usually pick up a few bottles of Bruichladdich, usually the 10 year, but I so want to try their First Growth Cuvee (which is finished in Chateaux Margaux casks).. one day.

When in the mood for a non-Islay, I generally grab The Balvenie 15 or Aberlour a'bunadh (cask strength - 120+ proof). WOW!)

Laguvalin 16 is still my favourite - I just can't bring myself to call something that sells locally for $600 a bottle a favourite. Laphroaig 10 year I found a little rough. I had a housemate who was fond of Bruichladdich and Ardbeg - she worked on the assumption that anything she couldn't pronounce was worth a go.

That First Growth Cuvee sounds fantastic. Balvenie has been recommended to me before, but I've never seen it for sale here.

Aberlour was my first "solo" malt. Dad drank Glenfiddich and used to refill an old bottle with Johnnie Walker red label or Bells when his boss came over for dinner because "he can't tell the bloody difference". Grandad drank Glenlivet. He taught me to appreciate good scotch when I was about 15. Sadly, he couldn't afford it in his retirement, so whenever I visited and saw the bottle was getting low, I'd make sure to bring another the next time. We used to sit on the little verandah at his unit and share a dram or two.

Funny you mention Ardbeg Uigeadai 'cause I spotted that on the website of a local retailer while looking the Bunnahabhain - given your other tastes, I think I'll head down to their nearest store to see if they have in the flesh.

Taxes here are pretty nasty - about $25 on a 700ml bottle. Availability is weird here in South Oz - the best range is found, along with the best service, at the cheapest big-box chain. Go figure. Generally, suburban bottle shops (that's Oz for liquor store on the off chance you ever get out here) are pretty limited but there are couple in town or "old money" areas that are pretty good.

which brings me to the next logical Question: how do you prefer your scotch? neat? on rocks? 1 cube? splash of water? drop of water? ____________?

Personally, I'm a neat or a single drop of Fiji scotch drinker - unless I'm tackling a cask strength whisky in which case I'll add as much Fiji as necessary to make it palatable :) Enjoying a dram of Laphroiag 18 right now (neat) :)

The eternal question. My Grandad taught ice was allowed in hot weather or a little water (strictly for medicinal purposes, you understand). Ginger ale is acceptable in a blend. Coke is strictly for the children.

Vera naice...

Wow, my understanding it that the Bunnahabhain 25 is possibly one of the best whiskies ever, regardless of region. Not to mention 5 shots for roughly 100 bucks sounds like a fair deal at a bar!

I would not dispute any such judgement! So good I have a hard time imagining it could get any better. Those five shots were over $100 and it was only three scotches and two cognacs - and it turns out he got the second of those free because the barmen couldn't get a full measure! The malts were $35 a glass. Normally well out of my financial league.

Pappy Van Winkle 15yr Bourbon

fantastic

I'm surprised at only one Bourbon suggestion so far.

I'm not very good at this reply w quotes yet - new to forums such as this... bbut will attempt to address some of your comments...

for the price, and my taste, Lagavulin 16 is perfection in a bottle to me and agreed on the laphroaig 10 being a bit harsh - very listerine-ish but the 15 , 18 and quarter cask are much more mellow in that regard...

and I too pick up a bottle for pops here and there... least I can do for stealing his whisky while in high school (all he ever drank was scotch - so that was all I has access to pilfer) - so I developed a tste for the single malts (peaty ones at that) as a teenager by stealing his scotch and watering it down so he'd not notice (LMAO)

we laugh about it now but he was none too pleased let me tell you! another bonus to liking scotch in college was none of my roomates ever thoguht about stealing my booze...

thoguh I still did the vodka, tequila etc with the guys to get drunk. I couldn't afford more than a bottle every few months in college so it was savored a sip at a time - as it should be :)

as for the 'eternal question' as with anything YMMV, but I drink neat unless cask strength - then I add enoguh water (or a single cube on occasion) to dilute it to drinkable strength.

and on occasion I'll add a drop of water to a standard 40-46% alcohol by volume jsut becuase it does seem to open the flavors, and as you said for medicinal purposes :)

and hopefully I will make it to OZ one of these days, a dear frind of mine from the old days of alt.smokers.pipes is a gourmet chef from 'down unda' - so i've had an open invite for 15 years.. I *am* determined to take him up on it - I'll certainly let you know if/when I make it down so we can share a dram or 3+!

plus, I want to hit NZ as well to nymph fish to some of the giant brown trout in those crystal clear streams :)

as for bourbon, I'm not well versed at all, though I have had blantners and enjoyed it - and though I admire the artisanship (as I do the artisan tequilas), nothing can touch single malts for me in complexity of flavors. although I do enjoy the effects of a decent Absinthe when I can find it (alas, illegal in the US still)

Last edited:
For regular sipping? Glenlivet 12/ Glenfiddich 12 are more than sufficient.

The good stuff? Macallan 18. Best $150 I think I've ever spent. Haven't spent more than that, as I'm not a rich man. But maybe some day...

Laphraoig's a pretty great treat as well, on occasion.

Top Bottom