What's new

Face Washes?

I've been using Neutrogena Oil-Free, with salicylic acid, for a while now to prevent the little outbreaks I occasionally get. I keep wondering though, if this is significantly worse for my skin that a really good homemade soap? And also whether the right use of better all natural products might prevent the outbreaks without having to use this stuff....

Kirk's Castile Soap, four times a day (Morning, after lunch, after work, bed time).

It's plain soap, lots of lather, not drying (for me) and cheap.

moses said:
I've been using Neutrogena Oil-Free, with salicylic acid, for a while now to prevent the little outbreaks I occasionally get. I keep wondering though, if this is significantly worse for my skin that a really good homemade soap? And also whether the right use of better all natural products might prevent the outbreaks without having to use this stuff....

While I don't use 'all natural' products, if I don't keep the Netrogena in my rotation I inevitably end up with outbreaks.

I feel like my NB and Kiehl's are quality products, but if I use them exclusively, at some point I will start looking like a high schooler again!

I tend toward oily skin, especially around the nose and forehead. For a long time I thought I needed cleansers for "oily" skin. I have used the gamut from Sea Breeze to regular soap, to Dr. Bronners (peppermint!) and the latest was the lineup from Clinique for Men (the oily skin bar soap, the face scrub, the scruffing lotion and the moisturizer). I felt fairly resigned to my oiliness.

I then tried something different - I went the opposite to completely gentle. This happened accidently when Nancy Boy included a Gentle Fash Wash sample in a shave cream order (those shifty dudes...). Well, the shave cream sucked (yeah yeah, ymmv and all that...) but the face wash was the bomb. It feels like you are putting a scented water on your face - no scrubbing sensation or soap and suds all over the place. But ever since I started using it, my skin has gotten noticably softer and less oily. I have since picked up some Cetaphil to see how that would work and it is about the same as the NB as far as cleansing, but the NB is a better product IMO.

Dennis

I've used the NB but ran out and decided to try "PURPOSE" Gentle Cleansing Wash. I picked it up at Wal-Mart for around $5 I think. It is made by Johnson & Johnson.

It's claims are: Soap-free. Hypoallergenic. Won't clog pores. Dermatologist recommended. Dermatologist recommended for effective yet gentle cleansing. Cleanses without drying or irritating. This foaming cleanser is 100% soap-free, so it removes dirt, oil and make-up without stripping or drying like soap can. And it won't sting your eyes, so it's ideal for removing eye make-up. It won't clog pores. Unlike some cleansers, Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash is 100% oil-free and non-comedogenic, so it won't clog pores or leave residue. Even those with sensitive skin can use it twice a day for a healthy looking, healthy feeling complexion.

I like it better than the NB because it does not sting my eyes, it rinses easily, leaves my face feeling clean without a dried out feeling and it is available locally at a good value.

Top Bottom