What's new

Workout accountability

So, I've always had a problem sticking with a workout routine for more than 2 months at a time, I just lose the motivation, and none of my workout friends have a schedule like mine to go with me and keep me doing it. I'm pretty athletic and tall so visibly I just dont care and I think thats where I lose alot of my motivation.

Anyway, the thread is simple, the idea, if anyone else is in the same boat, is just to post how many days you plan to workout per week and keep a log here on B&B of your workouts, whether its running, weights, etc. and post what you did so we can motivate/keep each other accountable on it. I realize theres already a "post your workout thread", but theres not much accountability on it from what I can tell. This is for people who actually struggle to workout everyday. If you think its a good idea, say so below and we can get it started. My goal for this week is 3. cause I'm starting today and I'm going out of town friday, I'll bump it to 5 next week and see how it goes.

accountable [əˈkaʊntəb[SUP]ə[/SUP]l]adj1. responsible to someone or for some action; answerable
2. able to be explainedaccountability n
accountably adv

In this context, that would be answering to one another, ensuring we do what we said we do as far as working out goes. If you have to answer to someone about it, your more likely to do it, or at least, thats the goal.

Set goals, make a plan and work towards those goals.

What do you want to achieve by working out? Fitness? Strength? Size? Fat loss? If you don't really know, or have some vague wish for "all of the above", then you're shooting yourself in the foot before you begin.

A goal is like this, "In 10 weeks from today, 25 July 2012, my goal is to have lost 15 pounds of fat".

Then you set about making a plan to achieve that goal. In this case, it would by creating a slight calorie deficit through exercise and diet. You should then plan your daily calorie intake on a spreadsheet (it's much less painful than it sounds, with the aid of something like calorie-king.com), and plan your weekly workout sessions.

Then stick to it.

It's the same if you want to put on muscle. Only your diet should now be a calorie surplus, and your workouts should be adjusted in intensity.

Really, one could write a book on this subject. The short answer is this: make concrete goals. Write them down. Make a plan to achieve that goal. Execute the plan.

If you're just drifting along working out because you think your should to "be healthy", with only a vague idea of what you're doing and an even vaguer idea of why you're doing it, then your motivation will disappear very quickly.

If you want someone to nag you daily about your workouts, your best bet is to go with a paid service that provides trainers who follow your progress. You won't get that kind of followup here, our attention spans are too short!

So, I've always had a problem sticking with a workout routine for more than 2 months at a time, I just lose the motivation, and none of my workout friends have a schedule like mine to go with me and keep me doing it. I'm pretty athletic and tall so visibly I just dont care and I think thats where I lose alot of my motivation.

Anyway, the thread is simple, the idea, if anyone else is in the same boat, is just to post how many days you plan to workout per week and keep a log here on B&B of your workouts, whether its running, weights, etc. and post what you did so we can motivate/keep each other accountable on it. I realize theres already a "post your workout thread", but theres not much accountability on it from what I can tell. This is for people who actually struggle to workout everyday. If you think its a good idea, say so below and we can get it started. My goal for this week is 3. cause I'm starting today and I'm going out of town friday, I'll bump it to 5 next week and see how it goes.

Count me in. By making goals public, we will most likely follow through. Maybe specific, detailed goals will be even more helpful. I will state my weekly workout goals in a different post.

My plan for the week: exercise six days a week for at least 20 minutes; maybe lift twice, run once and do a P90X workout.

MONDAY: Squats, deadlifts, pullups
TUESDAY: Presses, KB swings, leg lifts.

Once I get my heart rate monitor, I will include total calories burned during each workout.

Last edited:
I'm in, though my goals are modest.
Goal is to increase exercise activity and eat better to lose 15lbs by Thanksgiving.
Aim this week : 3 periods on elliptical in basement. No McD. No soda.

My goals for the week: exercise six days a week for at least 20 minutes. Specific goals: Lift twice, run once and do a P90X workout.

Once I get my heart rate monitor, I will include total calories burned during each workout.

That's your plan.

Your goal is a different thing. But it's still a step in the right direction. ;)

The way I see it, you execute your plan in order to achieve your goal. If the plan isn't working towards your goal, it needs to be modified until it is working.

Sorry, I don't mean to preach. Just sayin'

Last edited:
That's your plan.

Your goal is a different thing. But it's still a step in the right direction. ;)

The way I see it, you execute your plan in order to achieve your goal. If the plan isn't working towards your goal, it needs to be modified until it is working.

Sorry, I don't mean to preach. Just sayin'

LOL

I shan't be deterred! I will execute my goal to achieve my plan and will continue to butcher the English language!

I'm glad to see there's some interest here. My goals are a bit tricky. I'm a pretty athletic 6'3", about 205 or so. I'm not worried about weight loss because the only fat I have left is a very small amount hiding my abs, which I just dont have the discipline to get rid of. I have strength goals though. I'd like to be able to clean 225 by halloween, and deadlift 350. current maxes on those are 185 and 310. I think its feasible, it'll be hard but still feasible. Also, working out 5 days a week, doing a complex olympic lift or 2 for strength everyday, and then a hard crossfit style metcon for a stamina/strength blend. I'm gonna work on a schedule today, once I get it down, i'll post it here. Working out today after work.

Strength:
Squats - 3 rep sets to failure, adding weight after every set. Starting weight at 185. (not counting warmup)
Deadlifts - "same" starting at 185. (not counting warm up)

Metcon:
3 rounds for time:
10 pullups
10 burpies
10 DL 225#
(not crazy difficult, but good to get me back into it.)

And good luck guys, let me know how your workout goes.

I'm in for this, got a separate thread about intermittent fasting that basically outlines what I'm trying to do, but I will condense it here. (I also have a bet with a friend for the next 2 months to achieve a BF% of 10% or lower).

So my goal is 10% BF by September 14th.

My plan is to workout with weights 3x a week (3-day BB split), play golf at least 3x a week and throw in HIIT for a total of 5 days of cardio a week (that would include the golf so if I play 5 days of golf, then no HIIT if I only play 2 days then 3 days of HIIT) and to practice IF with a once weekly ~36 hour water fast also I'm cutting gluten from my diet.

I'll update my progress every other week so you guys can yell at me for not working my plan.

I had friends in my neighborhood I used to workout with..they stopped one day..then they moved out of state..I still workout..try for every other day hour and a half workout

I like the idea of stating the goals up front and be accountable publicly. My goal is to lose an additional 6 pounds and weigh 180 by mid-September, and I will track weight loss on a weekly basis. I weighed 186 yesterday at the gym.

This may even motivate some people to actually define a goal - too often people have a vague notion of wanting to exercise more regularly, but by defining specifics up front, it may help them to actually achieve it.

My plan for the week: exercise six days a week for at least 20 minutes; maybe lift twice, run once and do a P90X workout.

WEDNESDAY: Squats, Cleans.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Just find one guy, here ... elsewhere ... internet or real life ... doesn't matter, who will bug you daily "didja doit?" Maybe you can do him the same favour.

If you want someone to nag you daily about your workouts, your best bet is to go with a paid service that provides trainers who follow your progress. You won't get that kind of followup here, our attention spans are too short!

Exactly. Once, I tried going to the gym and working out, and to help in motivation I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. We didn't have white onions, because of the war; I had to use one of those big yellow ones.

THURSDAY: Short run, P90X Yoga. I wore the heart rate monitor. At times, during yoga, the heart rate reading would jump drastically (120 to 135 to 110 in seconds). I might have received a defective unit. Total calories burned for the run were 588 calories.

Last edited:

THURSDAY: Short run, P90X Yoga. I wore the heart rate monitor. At times, during yoga, the heart rate reading would jump drastically (120 to 135 to 110 in seconds). I might have received a defective unit. Total calories burned for the run were 588 calories.

FRIDAY: Presses, squats, leg lifts. Calories burned: 631.

Top Bottom