What's new

Where to get locally smoked black tea?

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
When I was in Australia, Twinings was selling a black tea named 'Russian Caravan'. I loved it because you could taste some kind of smoke in it making it different to other black teas. Back on this side of the globe in Montréal, Canada. I cannot seem to locate the same Russian Caravan tea. My local supermarkets don't seem to stock any tea that would be smoked like the Russian Caravan.

It seems that something called "Lapsang souchong" would be a Chinese smoked tea (like the Russian Caravan?). That one, doesn't seem available locally either.

The only place that I found locally is David's tea. I did not try this one yet, reviews are good so I probably should. I was, however, hoping that someone could point me to a local shop or to a very widely distributed tea so that I could find it here. I still need to check my local Asian market...

Any suggestions?

davids LS is ok i'v got some. and yes its VERRY smokey. i wouldent be suprised if twinnings caravan has a blend of LS in it to give it that smoke.

Luc

Staff member
davids LS is ok i'v got some. and yes its VERRY smokey. i wouldent be suprised if twinnings caravan has a blend of LS in it to give it that smoke.

The Russian Caravan that I was getting in Australia was smokey but I wouldn't say very. Your main flavour was smoke that's for sure. I will try my local asian grocery since they got a good selection in Tea (specially Japanese teas and Chinese teas).

I think you might be right and it could be a blend of LS that Twinings did...

Traditional Lapsang Souchong has a definite piney odor to it. I don't know of any other smoked tea but would be interested to try some.

There is a definite smokey flavor associated with Gunpowder Green Tea.

Luc I know you are trying to look locally, but, at least in my experience, trying to find good tea locally can be a futile effort, even the stuff at the local Asian market is of sub-par quality IMO. One of our member here, Steve (netsurfr), has a site and sells some fantastic teas- mostly Chinese, might be worth taking a look at his site or PMing him as he is more than willing to talk tea.

Here's his site:
http://jas-etea.com/

Luc

Staff member
Well, I found something at my local asian market. It's not labeled as Lapsang Souchong but it says mild smoke on the back. I will taste and report back...

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Do you have Pete's Coffee up there? They sell a Russian Caravan tea that sounds like the one you had in Australia.

Luc

Staff member
and I'm back...

I will need to go to David's tea apparently (there's one not too far from me).

What I got is something called "Genuine Tea - Yunnan - Yuocha". The back of the box said sligthly smokey (as I mentioned in the previous post). To be honest, I understand what they mean but it's more than mild. Specially compared to the Russian Caravan tea. I can post a picture and the full description if interested.

I would say the tea is all right, it's a bit sweet. I'm far from being knowledgeable when it comes to tea. I specially like Japanese green tea that tastes like grass...

I tried the gunpowder in the past and do not recall any smoke in there. Maybe I need to do this again.

I also found a Pu'erh and SWMBO already said it stinks... :rolleyes:

Luc

Staff member
Do you have Pete's Coffee up there? They sell a Russian Caravan tea that sounds like the one you had in Australia.

I never heard of that company. I will check David's tea this week-end and see how I go...

Luc

Staff member
I went to the Marché Jean-Talon today in Montréal and found some Lapsang souchong in one of the shops. They had 2 full walls of tea separated in white, green, black and red tea... It was quite impressive. I got some "gourmet" tea as the tin is fancy. I paid $10 for 50gr. I don't think that David's tea is out of the picture yet. This one is a mild smoke compared to Russian Caravan but it's smoked.

Which brand? I've never noticed any smoke. And I like the smell of gunpowder in the morning.

Harney and Sons...its been awhile since I've had it, but do remember
r it having a smokey flavor, I will make a cup this weekend and write back to confirm

Luc

Staff member
I found some Taylors of Harrogate Lapsang souchong. It's not too bad but still not quite as good as the Twinings Russian Caravan in terms of smoke flavour. So far, it's the best that I found. Still need to try David's Tea.

Luc

Staff member
These guys are in MTL and ought to be on your list of places to look. I didn't dig to see if they had what you were looking for but they are a reputable fine tea shop.

https://camellia-sinensis.com/

I've been to those guys at Jean-Talon Market, they got a really fair selection and their smoked tea is really nice.

I tried the David's tea one yesterday, not as smokey as Taylors... Taylors is the top runner so far!

Top Bottom