What's new

Any flashlight/lumen nerds out there?

i just got a streamlight HL model..600 lumens on two 123 batteries.
it is bright!

i too like fenix..i have the pd30 and it is nicely constructed.

I'm looking for something as well. My experiences with LED's is that they are real bright but the beam doesn't cast very far. Maybe I just haven't experiences the correct LED light yet? Without investing a substantial amount, anything compare to a good aol 3 or 4 cell maglite?

With the right lens, light is light and will go as far as it's wavelength allows.

My RayOVac 4W one, I easily light up my backyard (a good 40-50 feet I'd say), and from my door, I can brighten down the street by quite a lot... during a power up of the neighborhood, there was no issue is seeing down half a block with it.

The lens is adjustable, so I can flood or concentrate the beam, and at full concentration, I easily have a very bright spot a good 50 -60 feet.

Very handy for when I hear noise in the backyard, I can spot every corner from the deck/door.

Have lots of 'em, most not worth mentioning. I recently sprang for a Fenix PD32, which is a first-rate compact carry. I also bought a couple of these (no-name?) zoom focus lights. Good lumen output, two brightness levels (plus strobe), nice heft, and, of course, the zoom focus (supposedly 1:2000). Great value at $6.75 a pop. I keep one in the car, one at home.

Last edited:
I'm no flashlight nerd... That said, I always wanted a Surefire, but couldn't justify the price... Thankfully, as a wedding gift from my groomsmen, I was gifted a 6PX Pro 9/11 commemorative edition, and I love it!

Yeah, I'm kinda into that too, partial to mag, cops use them and if you get the big one, it illuminates all

I use a LED lensar T7 for work, it's great 220 Lumens and small enough to fit on your belt next to my holster and cuffs and radio ect

That my friend is a valid point. I actually had to read through my post to work that one out. Don't you want my cuff's?

What are you looking for for the maglite? I have several parts lying around.

I think it's an internals problem on the one I have. I swapped bezels and tail caps and it still won't work. Tried different bulbs, LED conversion. Oh well...not like I don't have another maglite anyway!

I have a few flashlights and love Fenix ones the most.
I had a Fenix pd30 that i always carry with me that i think it is great and compact.
I just ordered the Fenix pd32 which comes with almost 320 lumens compared to the pd 30 which had about 100 lumens less.
Can't wait.
I also like bright flashlights and took a gamble on a

TrustFire CREE XM-L 3800-lumens 3*T6

Yup,it says 3800 lumens.
Now as everyone says i don't think it comes close to that but for 30$ bucks shipped i am gambling it is at least very bright on 3 {18650 ) batteries.

If anyone has any info on this Trustfire please let me know.

I EDC a copper AAA Martac. It is my favorite light I have ever had, I also love it because it is a very common size battery. Also have a Veleno Designs DD on my keys.

I just purchased a Maglite XL50 for $25. For something that's rated at 104 lumens, it's incredibly bright. I think Maglite understated the actual lumens on this torch, but I have no way of knowing for sure. All I know is that it blows the doors off of the Costco Techlights which claim 200 lumens. Don't get me wrong, the Techlights are still a great deal, but I'm really digging the XL50.

I've had loads in my time, but the two I use most now are both by Fenix - an E01 that I EDC, and an LD10. I love the fact that each torch only uses one AAA or AA battery, they're tough as old boots, and they're inexpensive. At 9 lumens and no reflector the E01 is small for outdoors, but it is so tiny you can forget it's in your pocket. In fact I did just that and it went through a full wash and spin cycle and only suffered a couple of dings from rattling round in the drum.

Another Fenix fan here. I have a couple 4sevens I like as well, but my preferred lights are Fenix. When slight bulk is not a concern my favorite is my tk41 thrower with 800 lumens to light up what I need lit.

I have a cheap ebay "Keygos KE-1" with the CREE XM-LT6 LED in it. I think it was sold as 1200 lumen, but I would guess maybe 700. It takes one 18650 rechargeable Lithium battery. 5 settings, high, medium, low, strobe high (seizure mode...) and SOS. Lights up the backyard like high beams in my car...

I also have a Coleman 200lumen that runs off 2 AA batteries, its the current slim light with a red ring on it. That is kept in the car and I might buy another to keep in my BOB. AA are way better to depend on... for $25 at walmart, it is a solid light, although the tailswitch is VERY stiff.

cant' buy shave stuff this year, so just added another Fenix. this time with my 1st set of 18650 batteries and a charger.

it's the above PD32, but upgraded with a 740 lumen burst output (3min)

Fenix PD32(T6) Ultimate Edition

$FX-PD32T6_9.jpg

I have three Fenix flashlights that replaced Surefires. The LD15 is my EDC. They're well built and all three take the readily available AA batteries. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom