What's new

Any flashlight/lumen nerds out there?

He Olight M20. Does it have the ability to be set in a way that it can just be turned on to its brightest setting & then turned back off?

Thanx!!!
Charlie

I have a Photon X-Light Micro on each keychain in the house. Also have a very old Mag Light Mini that I recently "upgraded" with the Nite Ize LED and clicky switch package. And then there is the Sunwayman V11R that is all kinds of awesome. I also carry a 4Sevens Preon P1 with me every day.

Flashlight acquisition disorder, yeah.

Before I started biking to work, I never really thought much about flashlights, just always got something cheap to have around for emergencies. When I biked in the winter months, I only cared about lights that helped be seen by cars. Then I realized I really needed to actually see things as well as be seen by others.

I got a flashlight like this from Deal Extreme which I mount to my bike's handlebars. http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ultraf...emory-led-flashlight-with-strap-1-18650-50318

At the highest setting (900 lumens) I get cars flashing their high beams at me and other bikers screaming at me so I usually only ride on the medium seeting. High only lasts for about 60 minutes as well, whereas medium lasts for 3 hours or so. The brightness of this totally blew me away. I've also used it to spot leaks under heavy objects like refrigerators, etc.

My favourite all purpose torch is the Surefire G2 Nitrolon. I think the Xenon bulbs give a better light than the LED version. Thoughts?

Quite like my Inova T3 Tactical torch as well and I find 15" Lumica Power Beams sticks very cool. Just don't accidently drop them as it sets them off, lost three is a row this way.

My favourite all purpose torch is the Surefire G2 Nitrolon. I think the Xenon bulbs give a better light than the LED version. Thoughts?

Incandescent bulbs certainly give off a warmer tint of light. I've gotten rid of my incandescent lights though, as their battery life and brightness no longer compare favorably to LED lights. There is a movement to put out warmer or "high CRI" LEDs now as well, so they're getting closer to what incandescents look like.

Incandescent bulbs certainly give off a warmer tint of light. I've gotten rid of my incandescent lights though, as their battery life and brightness no longer compare favorably to LED lights. There is a movement to put out warmer or "high CRI" LEDs now as well, so they're getting closer to what incandescents look like.

Well I shall keep my eye out for these. It true LED battery life wins hands down over Xenon bulbs.

I am considering this flashlight: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320785926...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_1805wt_1037

I am however noot sure if the batteries indicated are the same as european AA sized batteries, as they are the commonly found ones here.
If anyone can help me with this I would be very happy.

I am looking for a decent flashlight that holds battery quite well (reading mode in tent) but also has the ability to look for stuff in the dark.
I like flashlights that flood quite a lot.

Preferrebly something I can store in a jacket pocket but this is not overly important and neither should it be super small as I imaginge my kid will be prone to loose a tiny light more easily than one that is > 11 cm long.

PS:

I might be using it exposed to saltwater from time to time.
ANy ideas how Fenix lights react to this?

Kindly

Andreas

I am considering this flashlight: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320785926...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_1805wt_1037

I am however noot sure if the batteries indicated are the same as european AA sized batteries, as they are the commonly found ones here.

"Uses two 3V CR123A batteries (Lithium) or one 18650 rechargeable battery (Li-ion)"

No, the CR123A is about the diameter of a AA but shorter, and is 3v.
The 18650 is the same diameter as the CR123A
, and is twice as long (longer than a single AA).

Fenix makes a number of products that are similar to this and use standard AA cells, but the disadvantage is that they will be longer and not quite as bright, because of the lower voltage and the need for 2 cells.

For a standard AA light, the Fenix LD25 is a good one. It has a compact head and uses two AA cells. It has multiple modes including "SOS" but it does not have a strobe mode.
It also has a rubber grip, which is nice when wet, but depending on your definition of "exposed" to salt water, it could cause some salt buildup and subsequent corrosion under the rubber.
The Fenix LD20 is a similar device that does not have the rubber jacket. It does have a pocket clip... but with the clip (or lanyard) installed, these lights can not be stored in their belt-sheaths.

For something to keep in your jacket pocket, the Fenix LD15 uses a single AA cell, 1.5 hours at 117 Lumen, 39 hours on the 8-lumen mode.

These units generally include a spare cap for the switch for the models that have the button on the end-cap, and are all sealed waterproof to 2m, so casual exposure to water or being used in a storm are not an issue.

Thank you Rich.

I will probably look into the LD series.

By saltwater I mean storing it in a kayak on the ocean for up to a week at a time.
I can hose it with fresh water once a day but it will have to suffice with rolling in puddles of saltwater on my storage compartment most of the time.

Storing in the kayak won't be a problem at all.
These lights are all anodized aluminum, and have o-ring seals at the endcaps.

I have
2 fenix ( P2d, P3d), gave L1d to daughter
1 Lumapower (MRV), gave M1-T to son
2 Tiablo (MA6, A7)
1 JetBeam (jet-III st)

I roll with a Surefire G2X Pro and I have a Fury on the way. I've also got a love/hate relationship with MagLite as I love them but hate that I can find where I stored all my parts and tailcaps and discarded pieces because one of my bezels broke.

I too am a Flashaholic. When I was still in scouts when I was a kid, I had about 12 flashlights from this cool little Eveready yellow one that turned into a lantern, two mini-mags that I HAD to have the holster for to be like my dad, one D cell Mag, and also a couple of rechargeable snake lights. Those were the bee's knees too man.

proxy.php

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
OLight M20-X-Warrior
500 Lumen
3 modes
Instant strobe
Uses 2 CR123's or 1 18650
Comes with diffuser, pouch, and hard case
SWEET!!!!!
martym

I roll with a Surefire G2X Pro and I have a Fury on the way. I've also got a love/hate relationship with MagLite as I love them but hate that I can find where I stored all my parts and tailcaps and discarded pieces because one of my bezels broke.

I too am a Flashaholic. When I was still in scouts when I was a kid, I had about 12 flashlights from this cool little Eveready yellow one that turned into a lantern, two mini-mags that I HAD to have the holster for to be like my dad, one D cell Mag, and also a couple of rechargeable snake lights. Those were the bee's knees too man.

proxy.php

What are you looking for for the maglite? I have several parts lying around.

What would you guys recommend in the area of a 2 or 3 c cell flashlight?
Thanx!!!
Charlie

I have this one: LED 4 Watt 3C Metal Flashlight (180 Lumens (high); 75 lumens (low))

http://www.rayovac.com/Products/Lights/Outdoor/LED-4-Watt-3C-Metal-Flashlight.aspx

and love it... bought it last year, and while I use it on a fairly regular basis (few minutes here and there), I'm still on the original batteries. It's the brightest flashlight I was able to find locally, and didn't want a model that required special batteries.

Another light that I use as a floodlight when I need more than just a flashlight, is a camcorder/photo one like this one (http://www.ebay.com/itm/YONGNUO-SYD...880?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4153edc210) It takes both AAA or lithium, and provides close to a car's headlight level of light (... stated 960 lumen).

Last edited:
Top Bottom