What's new

Are there any grocery store bar soaps that cab be used well as shaving soap?

There are countless different kinds of bar soaps ranging in price from pennies a bar to $5 a bar that are found at the average grocery store.

Surely there are some bar soaps that work as a shaving soap?

Does anyone here know of any?

I find Oil of Olay and Ivory work well. Any moisturising soap, such as Oil of Olay should work well, I would imagine.

I tried the Van Der Hagen. Don't waste your money.

Vand Der Hagen Deluxe Shaving Soap is a highly regarded shaving soap available at quite a few drug stores (and Wal-Mart). Sure it's not high end, and the scent is nothing special but it is vastly more than adequate.

Vand Der Hagen Deluxe Shaving Soap is a highly regarded shaving soap available at quite a few drug stores (and Wal-Mart). Sure it's not high end, and the scent is nothing special but it is vastly more than adequate.

+1. I don't use it because I'm a snob but there's nothing wrong with the VDH products. There are just better options out there.

If the goal is cheap.... On Amazon, $22 will get you enough Arko to last a couple of years.
If the goal is local availability, +1 on VDH.

I haven't tried Ivory. I used Irish Spring with carts for years.
Generally, things that make a shaving soap a good shaving soap make it a less than ideal bathing soap, and the opposite as well.
Irish Spring is a great soap for my body chemistry, but as a shaving soap, it does tend to burn and irritate a bit. I just lived with it because it worked better than canned products for me.

Personally, I might give Ivory a try, but nothing else.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Surely there are some bar soaps that work as a shaving soap?
Probably, but the question is why? When in a pinch I used to use bar soap but there really is no reason to resort to that, there are so many great shaving soaps.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Vand Der Hagen Deluxe Shaving Soap is a highly regarded shaving soap available at quite a few drug stores (and Wal-Mart).

+1. I don't use it because I'm a snob but there's nothing wrong with the VDH products.

If the goal is local availability, +1 on VDH.

Christoph:
VDH Deluxe is my 'go-to' soap!!!
proxy.php

In terms of performance...it's a awesome soap; great lather, lubercation, cushion and glide. It's hypo-allergenic and contains 40% moisturizers, including Aloe Vera & Shea Butter with no animal products and no harsh chemicals to irritate my sensitive skin;

Read More: http://badgerandblade.com/reviews/sh...ve-soap&cat=40

Plus I add about 6-8 drops of glycerine per puck before I melt it (nuke), extra lubercation, cushion and glide . :thumbsup:

proxy.php
“Laughter is the [shaving lather]...that sweeps away the cobwebs of your heart”. Mort Walker

Treat your face well. Shaving soaps and body soaps have different ingredients. I believe shaving soaps are formulated to produce slickness, deliver moisture, and make a lubricating lather. Body soaps are designed to clean. Ultimately, it's your choice, but why not treat your face to products specifically designed to give a good shave?

There are countless different kinds of bar soaps ranging in price from pennies a bar to $5 a bar that are found at the average grocery store. Surely there are some bar soaps that work as a shaving soap? Does anyone here know of any?

I found some 'Corlin Farms' - Goat's Milk Soap at a Big lots to try out for bathing. It is apparently from Canada. $1.00 USD per bar.
I have not tried it for shaving yet, but in the shower the lather just seems to explode. At the very least a great soap for shaving prep, IMO. It is a tallow soap with a pleasant scent to me...I liked it so much that I went back and bought ten more bars to hoard.

I don't use it for every shower on my face as I think my face is a little sensitive to tallow soaps ?
I am going to grade some up in a shaving mug and try it for shaving some day....I believe it may be a really good lathering soap with a brush...

Ivory or whatever is not bad if I am shaving the hair off my stomach, but shaving the face off my face I stick to shaving soaps, my skin is pretty sensitive and the moisturizing shaving soaps work so, so much better than any bath bar I have ever tried.

Mountain Ocean Skin Trip soap from Whole Foods is an acceptable but not great shave soap and is fairly expensive-a great general purpose, facial cleansing soap with a nice coconut scent, however. Lather is thin and bubbly. VDH deluxe works better.

I shaved once when I was deep in the country in the Caribbean and had no shaving cream or soap. I used a tallow based natural soap from the dominican republic called jabon de cuaba, it's dirt cheap. available in caribbean markets.
http://store.sickbay.biz/hicusojdecup1.html

It is super slick and actually offers a good shave. I keep some nearby if I need uberlather. I had a cheap vdh soap which I had to use this in combination with to get a slick shave. I can;t believe how cheap it is. my parents always bring me a few bars when they travel back to the islands. if arko wasn;t as cheap I'd use this a lot. I still use it to wash clothes and bath soap if I run out of my dove.

Cetaphil bar soap works surprisingly well for me -- it's not luxurious, but it is utilitarian. I have plenty of dedicated shave soaps and creams so I don't use Cetaphil often, but every now and then I do, and it works so well I get a little pang of guilt for spending all that money on dedicated shave soaps.

Try eBay and search for "handmade shave soaps" there are some there that are outstanding and you can use them for shaving and in the shower. The ingredients are much more pure vs. store bought. Just my $.02 :biggrin1:

Top Bottom