What's new

multicartridge mach3 better than safety razor?

It took me longer than 3 months to really get good with my DE. I also don't get good shaves with Derby blades.

sure I might get a closer shave right now with a Mach III or the Schick Quattro I have in my cabinet now, but I also get a lot more irritation. I did some clean up this morning with mine, because I was running late, and my face is still burning.
DE is much, much easier on my face, now I don't mind shaving everyday, also the more I do it, shave that is, the better and easier it is, so keep on keep on with whatever works best for you.

Try a sharper blade. I had a horrible experience with derbies they could only handle a light growth and not very well at that. I took on a 2 day growth with a derby and 4 passes only managed to reduce my beard down to a 5 o'clock shadow

I always got really close shaves with Mach III... too close. I'd always end up breaking out and getting ingrown hairs, which made daily shaving difficult/painful. Even if I do too many passes with a DE, I never get ingrowns.

+1 This is the same thing that happened to me ... and I would ***** ... "Gillette ... The Best a Man Could Get"

It has never been about closeness of shave for me, or for the money saved. I started using DE blades just for the control I could have over my shave (passes, effectiveness, closeness), the irritation free results, and for the whole ritual which I'd always missed. Also, it's fun again now to use these types of DE razors. As a result, I enjoy shaving again. As analogy, if you like your car for the speed, comfort, luxury and gadgets, stick to it. I also like practical things like automatic gearbox, AC, etc., but also I miss my grandfather's Ford 1934. It was in great working conditions till the mid of 80s. People pay ridiculous prices for old cars, or refurbish cars from the 70s for example, right? There should be a reason for that.

Get a blade sampler pack from a place like Bull Goose or West Coast shaving. Derby's were one of the worst blades I ever tried, right next to Dorcos.

I thought I was pretty handy with a DE after 3 months but now at 7 months I know better and will probably still be improving my technique.

To me the advantage of DE/SE shaving over multiblade cartridges is not the closeness but the lack of irritation (when done right). And it's worth taking a little more time.

By the way, I like Derby's.

In my personal experience, it's the better prep with a decent soap/cream and brush that makes the biggest difference. I still have a generic M3 (Tesco supermarket own brand, probably Personna) that I use when feeling very lazy and wanting a quick shave.

Gives me a great result though I find the stubble breaking out sooner than with one of my DEs.

If it suits you then go with it, though it's well worth persevering with a DE.

Gareth

Mach3 is my go to travel razor when traveling by plane without checked luggage. But at home the DE is preferred (I don't use Derby blades, or Merkur). Preferred blades are Personna Medical Prep and Feather (KAI, & ASTRA next tier).

We need more info as far as his prep goes. If the OP thinks that he can get a good shave with a traditional DE razor with the same prep (or lack thereof) of a cartridge, he's mistaken. Also, how many passes is he doing?

Also, if he doesn't already have one, the first thing he should have done is get a blade sampler pack. No beginner should be without one. One with as many blades as possible. That's been one of my mistakes, I should have ordered one of the larger samplers.

That may be true that a multi blade shaves as close.Not for me.But,my face never felt smoother after a shave than when I use a DE.

i dont know if its because its only 3 months that i shave with safety razor
That's it. Are Derby's the only blades you've tried? Is the Merkur the only DE that you've tried? What are you doing for prep? Details matter and will help those attempting to give you feedback. Be careful making broad, sweeping generalizations so early in the game.

Nothing wrong with a mach 3 .. I would use one id I had too. I could also get a great shave with any disposable but I prefer DE over straits and disposables. Its a ymmv thing for sure but IME any type of shaving is effective.

Derby's are in my "bag of shame" along with a few other brands. I tried sample packs and if the first blade was not to my liking by the second shave I put them aside. After a few months I tried them again, and the performance was similar so I bagged them for PIF's.

I like Personna (Red IP are nice, but generic USA's are pretty good too), Wilkenson Swords from Walmart, and a few other blades.

Order up a large sample pack and try them. If you find a blade that preforms better call it your "best" then try something else, if it is better you have a new best otherwise go back to your "best" before trying another so you are always comparing to the best.

Phil

Technique and time will improve your shaves with a de razor.
As others have said, the blade you are using might be another issue you want to look at.

Don't hurry things up, you've got plenty of time to change things around as you get more comfortable. Starting with a brush and a cream, then once you feel like it trying a good easy soap, (any Italian ones really, or maybe a Klar) get comfortable with that. Once you feel ready to move on, get a sample pack of blades but stick with one pack until you are done with it. DE with a 3 pass shave and reapplication of soap in between gets usually good results with minimal irritation. Oh and 50's to 80's Gillettes tend to be quite forgiving and can be had for cheap.:thumbup:

Top Bottom