What's new

multicartridge mach3 better than safety razor?

the only place m3 might win for me is speed. i am the guy that can shave my whole face in one pass with it. there can be a learning curve with de for some. if you really want a good shave learn a straight. the cost of m3 is so steep you can even justify artist club/feather. 3/5 blades cannot be a good thing for your face. as others said forget derby. you can really realize the cost benefit with $1.50 blades from walmart. which are better anyways. a forgiving razor that is not cheap is my beloved as-d1. again, that is only like six months of m3 cartridges. some one good at math please figure out what a man could spend on m3 in his life lol. my straight has been in my family for like maybe 300 years or so. cost to me,free. you can find de and straight in antique,goodwill shops for like $10. it is funny that we here are a minority. if i could just say one thing it would be, gilette is the "man"! i am so against that.

the only place m3 might win for me is speed. i am the guy that can shave my whole face in one pass with it. there can be a learning curve with de for some. if you really want a good shave learn a straight.

This.

If I'm in a rush and MUST shave NOW and be out the door, the Fusion does the job and it does it well.
I still shave my head with the Fusion (and will be going back to the M3 as soon as I burn through the last of my Fusion blades... and yes, I've been saying that for months and for months SWMBO keeps finding Fusion packs in suitcases or cabinets long forgotten).

But....

When I shave with the straight (or DE), the shave is smoother, and longer lasting by about 6-8 hours before I can feel a comparable level of stubble.

B

BJJ

Try a different blade.

Derby was horrible for me... either a terrible shave, or a bloodbath, and this was in both Merkur 38C and Muhle R41.

Thank you guys for all the replies, its been very helpful to me. as my friend just said, i would like to tell you guys about my shaving routine..

- Everyday when i wake up
- I put hot water in the sink and splash some hot water about 4 times with my fingers
set up my lather with AOS unscensed witch is a very good product and lather up my face about one minute.
The blade witch is derby i only use about 4 and 5 times making 3 passes , with , croosing and for last against grain. after that i take a cold shower
and wash my face with neutragena face wash for oily skin and after that i use prorase pre shave cream, Black Jack all-day oil control and one fps 50 for oily
skin since here in Brazil is very hot.

i dont get very used to aftershave balms since my skin is very oily, tried many times though, but the weather and my skin just doesnt want it.

besides that, another user here has been talked about mach3 is a good close shave, but he gets ingrowth hair, and thats what i noticed this time, the safety razor
doesnt get any irritation neither ingrowth hair.

B

BJJ

Nothing wrong with a mach 3 .. I would use one id I had too. I could also get a great shave with any disposable but I prefer DE over straits and disposables. Its a ymmv thing for sure but IME any type of shaving is effective.

Are the wilkinson sword blades selled on ebay as good as the wallmart? i'm from brazil only have ebay option

Are the wilkinson sword blades selled on ebay as good as the wallmart? i'm from brazil only have ebay option

I don't know why the Wilkinsons were recommended, they are far from a "premium" blade.
They are fairly cheap and readily available in the US, but they are not one of the better blades available.

Here's a couple of options:

I had good luck with the Astra SP
http://www.ebay.com/itm/25-ASTRA-SU...622?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc6fff3ce

Here is a sample pack that has the Astra SP, and the other blade that I liked even better, the Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Double-Edge...ealth_HairRemoval_RL&var=&hash=item43b1b273db

It also includes sticks of Arko and Palmolive... two very good shaving soaps!

Guys, i don know whats happening but everytime i shave with multicartridge (mach3) i get a much close shaving than
safety razor (merkur using derby blade)... i dont know if its because its only 3 months that i shave with safety razor, for me i'm doing the right edge, or i dont know if the derby blade is no good, i need your help ....

??

Here's the thing; the Mach 3, Fusion whatever are for the most part great shavers. However, they cost a fortune, have a lot more materials that are bad for the environment, and quite frankly don't last any longer than a DE. In the end do what is right by you; but I can tell you this, if you get the technique down, and do things like go with the grain, then re-apply lather and go against the grain with good technique and good lather, it's the best shave you ever had.

Everyone here made excellent observations and good points worth considering. As a relative newbie I can only offer that it took me time and practice to develop my skill. Shaving every day for months on end to get your skill down helps. Trying different brands of blades also made a difference for me. There are some blades out there other people swear by that I just can't use. Likewise, there are brands I use that others are unimpressed with. It is what it is, as they say.

I found this to be true for me as well! No matter what setup, prep, or voodoo ritual I do I can always get closer with a Mach 3. I settled for the DE however. So much cheaper, and although the Mach 3 shaves closer, its not so much closer anyone can tell except for us wet shavers who actually pay attention to that stuff!

I'm still learning technique and proper angle with a DE razor, and though I still get a bit of burn and nick myself occasionally, I enjoy the ritual a lot more and my shave with a DE is smoother on my cheeks and chin, though my neck is still a bit of a problem area. I imagine that once I get a good handle on how to shave my neck I will never want to switch back to my Mach 3.

Top Bottom