Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: multicartridge mach3 better than safety razor?

It took me longer than 3 months to really get good with my DE. I also don't get good shaves with Derby blades.

sure I might get a closer shave right now with a Mach III or the Schick Quattro I have in my cabinet now, but I also get a lot more irritation. I did some clean up this morning with mine, because I was running late, and my face is still burning.
    DE is much, much easier on my face, now I don't mind shaving everyday, also the more I do it, shave that is, the better and easier it is, so keep on keep on with whatever works best for you.

Try a sharper blade. I had a horrible experience with derbies they could only handle a light growth and not very well at that. I took on a 2 day growth with a derby and 4 passes only managed to reduce my beard down to a 5 o'clock shadow
    BOTOC Member. Procrastination:- the ability to find something better to do

Quote Originally Posted by razerburn View Post
    I always got really close shaves with Mach III... too close. I'd always end up breaking out and getting ingrown hairs, which made daily shaving difficult/painful. Even if I do too many passes with a DE, I never get ingrowns.
    +1 This is the same thing that happened to me ... and I would bitch ... "Gillette ... The Best a Man Could Get"
    -Dave

It has never been about closeness of shave for me, or for the money saved. I started using DE blades just for the control I could have over my shave (passes, effectiveness, closeness), the irritation free results, and for the whole ritual which I'd always missed. Also, it's fun again now to use these types of DE razors. As a result, I enjoy shaving again. As analogy, if you like your car for the speed, comfort, luxury and gadgets, stick to it. I also like practical things like automatic gearbox, AC, etc., but also I miss my grandfather's Ford 1934. It was in great working conditions till the mid of 80s. People pay ridiculous prices for old cars, or refurbish cars from the 70s for example, right? There should be a reason for that.
    -= Boris =- The man thinks, the horse thinks, the badger thinks, the boar thinks. The fish doesn't think, the fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Images

Get a blade sampler pack from a place like Bull Goose or West Coast shaving. Derby's were one of the worst blades I ever tried, right next to Dorcos.
    Old Fogie. It's not fer eatin', it's fer lookin' through.

I thought I was pretty handy with a DE after 3 months but now at 7 months I know better and will probably still be improving my technique.

To me the advantage of DE/SE shaving over multiblade cartridges is not the closeness but the lack of irritation (when done right). And it's worth taking a little more time.

By the way, I like Derby's.
    Joris (not the razor). SABRE

In my personal experience, it's the better prep with a decent soap/cream and brush that makes the biggest difference. I still have a generic M3 (Tesco supermarket own brand, probably Personna) that I use when feeling very lazy and wanting a quick shave.

Gives me a great result though I find the stubble breaking out sooner than with one of my DEs.

If it suits you then go with it, though it's well worth persevering with a DE.

Gareth
    Try everything in life except incest & morris dancing - Guy Warrack (1900-86).

Images

Mach3 is my go to travel razor when traveling by plane without checked luggage. But at home the DE is preferred (I don't use Derby blades, or Merkur). Preferred blades are Personna Medical Prep and Feather (KAI, & ASTRA next tier).
    Chuck R.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-Dave View Post
    i used to think this for maybe the first 6 months of using a de but keep working on your technique and you will be able to get better shaves than with carts
    +1

Plus... I'd try other blades. Derby's were horrible for me. YMMV.
    Juan Manuel. TOFLAC-U. Survivor of the 2013 M&F Chief Group Buy.

We need more info as far as his prep goes. If the OP thinks that he can get a good shave with a traditional DE razor with the same prep (or lack thereof) of a cartridge, he's mistaken. Also, how many passes is he doing?

Also, if he doesn't already have one, the first thing he should have done is get a blade sampler pack. No beginner should be without one. One with as many blades as possible. That's been one of my mistakes, I should have ordered one of the larger samplers.

That may be true that a multi blade shaves as close.Not for me.But,my face never felt smoother after a shave than when I use a DE.

Images

Derbys were my second least liked blade, Merkurs were the first.
    Alfredo
    www.doc226.com Items for Sale
    Honing & Resto

Welcome Aboard!! I would suggest trying a blade sampler pack.

Quote Originally Posted by BJJ View Post
    i dont know if its because its only 3 months that i shave with safety razor
    That's it. Are Derby's the only blades you've tried? Is the Merkur the only DE that you've tried? What are you doing for prep? Details matter and will help those attempting to give you feedback. Be careful making broad, sweeping generalizations so early in the game.

Nothing wrong with a mach 3 .. I would use one id I had too. I could also get a great shave with any disposable but I prefer DE over straits and disposables. Its a ymmv thing for sure but IME any type of shaving is effective.

Images

Derby's are in my "bag of shame" along with a few other brands. I tried sample packs and if the first blade was not to my liking by the second shave I put them aside. After a few months I tried them again, and the performance was similar so I bagged them for PIF's.

I like Personna (Red IP are nice, but generic USA's are pretty good too), Wilkenson Swords from Walmart, and a few other blades.

Order up a large sample pack and try them. If you find a blade that preforms better call it your "best" then try something else, if it is better you have a new best otherwise go back to your "best" before trying another so you are always comparing to the best.

Phil

I did a little review/test of some of the new cartridges this past week while on the road. No earth shattering results...but fun to mess around with.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthr...dge-Experiment
    Tom M.
    BOTOC - TOFLAC-U - AOM

Technique and time will improve your shaves with a de razor.
    As others have said, the blade you are using might be another issue you want to look at.
    - Lucas

Don't hurry things up, you've got plenty of time to change things around as you get more comfortable. Starting with a brush and a cream, then once you feel like it trying a good easy soap, (any Italian ones really, or maybe a Klar) get comfortable with that. Once you feel ready to move on, get a sample pack of blades but stick with one pack until you are done with it. DE with a 3 pass shave and reapplication of soap in between gets usually good results with minimal irritation. Oh and 50's to 80's Gillettes tend to be quite forgiving and can be had for cheap.