What's new

Wedding Suit

Hey folks, I am getting married in November of this year and am looking to pick up a new suit for the wedding...obviously. :001_cool: I am between two colors, gray and navy. I have always owned black suits and want to have something different. I am looking at a three piece setup and possibly wearing a bowtie instead of a normal tie. So what should I go with? What are your opinions on color and where I should go to get one? Thanks everyone.

Macys.. Grab a nice dark grey (or light grey with pinstripes) canali, armani, calvin klein, hugo boss, or other tailored formal suit and just get it tailored and you're set with a great suit for life. Grab a beautiful tie. I like the Trump Line, Versace, ralph lauren lines for ties and bowties. remember the shoes are just as important.
happy hunting.

I concur with ricardo9505....Congrats and good luck...:thumbup:
You may name your first after me .....Little Big Feather Stickjr25....Has a nice ring. Don't you think? :a50:

Macys.. Grab a nice dark grey (or light grey with pinstripes) canali, armani, calvin klein, hugo boss, or other tailored formal suit and just get it tailored and you're set with a great suit for life. Grab a beautiful tie. I like the Trump Line, Versace, ralph lauren lines for ties and bowties. remember the shoes are just as important.
happy hunting.

What should I be looking for with shoes? I am leaning towards brown which would go well with a lighter gray, right?
I concur with ricardo9505....Congrats and good luck...:thumbup:
You may name your first after me .....Little Big Feather Stickjr25....Has a nice ring. Don't you think? :a50:

Would that be naming my first non-black suit after you?

Also did Macys for my wedding. They had a large enough selection that I found what I needed quickly. Quickly being the main point

You only get married a few times in your life :)

I don't know what your budget is but have you considered going to a tailor and getting a suit made? It could be worth it for the big day.

If I were you I'd go with a charcoal gray suit, black calf skin oxfords with leather soles (wear them at least a few times before the wedding, polish to a high shine the night before), white broadcloth shirt (assuming it is a daytime wedding) with French cuffs, forward point or tab-collar, cufflinks, and printed silk foulard tie and a pocket square. To bring it all together, the pocket square should resemble a color in the tie.

And if I were you, I'd get it all at Brooks Brothers.

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
... getting married in November ... new suit ...I am between two colors, gray and navy. ...

Grey or navy ... two great choices. I'd lean slightly toward grey, as navy can have a bit more of the "casual blazer" and/or the "pinstriped businessman" vibe(s) that you might want to avoid.

But really, either would be fine.

... light grey with pinstripes ...

I'd say that light grey isn't really a "november' shade, and stay clear of pinstripes ... too much of a "business" connotation.

What should I be looking for with shoes? I am leaning towards brown which would go well with a lighter gray, right?

Some people do not like non-black shoes with grey or navy suits. To them, I say ":001_tt2:" ... but you may be marrying one, so tread carefully.

IMHO, brown, burgundy, and oxblood shoes go very well with blue and grey suits ... follow the general rule that the "darkness" or "lightness" of the suit and shoe should match, or at least be similar.

Thanks for all the input folks. If anyone saw the Next Food Network Star finale tonight, I am definitely going for the look Alton Brown had. The episode just finished so I will try and find a photo and post it here. But feel free to keep the input coming!

If you go with a light gray suit, check out the Allen Edmonds Strand shoe in Walnut. I saw the two paired on a website recently, and they looked sharp. The Strands are on sale at the Nordstrom Anniversary sale through August 5th (I believe that's what the store associate said), for $219.

Attachments

• $Brown-Shoes_Gray-Suit.jpg
    $Brown-Shoes_Gray-Suit.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 21
Top Bottom