What's new

What is cushioning?

I think I have never really understood what the concept of "cushioning" is all about. What exactly does it refer to in the first place? Why is it important? What is good cushioning vs. bad cushioning? How is it related to closeness? Anything else?

Thanks so much. Best - MM

I think I have never really understood what the concept of "cushioning" is all about. What exactly does it refer to in the first place? Why is it important? What is good cushioning vs. bad cushioning? How is it related to closeness? Anything else?

Thanks so much. Best - MM

IMO, the need for cushion has much to do with the user's style and technique. Take, for example, Method Shaving. In Method Shaving, the lather is created from an olive oil soap (plus a few additives) and is both tremendously slick and tremendously thin (very little cushion). This works hand in hand with the prescribed technique of relatively fast razor strokes. If you can cipher through it, CAR's writings talk a lot about the balance between slickness of lather, thickness/thinness of lather, and speed of stroke. Further, this all ties in with the sharpness and smoothness of the blade being used. (While I'm not an advocate of Method Shaving, I will readily admit that CAR has gone to painstaking measures to insure that each of his products is maximized for performance in relation to the technique/s that he endorses.)

When a shaver finds a product that they really like, typically because it performs in a superior way for them, it is (again my opinion) at least partially because the product works well with their blade of choice (sharpness and smoothness) and with their technique (speed of stroke, length of stroke and pressure applied).

Now factor in each gent's differences in skin and beard types and even though all of these factors may be relatively close to one another on the individual level, the cumulative effect of all factors involved is likely the reason that some gents absolutely love a product while others may despise it.

All of this being said, I still firmly believe that many of us are a lot closer in our preferences than one may willingly admit. If not, then there would not be so MANY folks who happily swear by the same small groupings of products (3 T's as an example).

To wrap this up and attempt to answer your question, I believe that Cushion is simply the protective barrier that a product provides. For many reasons, some folks need more of it than do others. Inadequate amounts can/will lead to razor burn while excessive levels can/will prevent you from getting all the way to BBS.

To wrap this up and attempt to answer your question, I believe that Cushion is simply the protective barrier that a product provides.
That's it. Astroglide is much more slippery than my superlather, yet my blade will glide down my face better with my superlather on it then it will with Astroglide because of the cushion provided and my face will be more irritation free.

When a shaver finds a product that they really like, typically because it performs in a superior way for them, it is (again my opinion) at least partially because the product works well with their blade of choice (sharpness and smoothness) and with their technique (speed of stroke, length of stroke and pressure applied).

I think I understand Kyle's thoughts with respect to the whole shaving routine.

That's it. Astroglide is much more slippery than my superlather, yet my blade will glide down my face better with my superlather on it then it will with Astroglide because of the cushion provided and my face will be more irritation free.

What does it mean the "blade will glide down my face better"? What aspect of the whole thing is better and in what way?

As far as I understand all this so far, the cushion prevents the blade from getting close to the skin. This is of course counter-productive when it comes to getting a close shave. On the other hand, the cushion will help prevent irritations. If I want BBS, I need to get close to the skin, so I don't want any cushion. I still want the blade to glide nicely, so lubricity is still something I want, but cushion??

Best - MM

What does it mean the "blade will glide down my face better"? What aspect of the whole thing is better and in what way?

As far as I understand all this so far, the cushion prevents the blade from getting close to the skin. This is of course counter-productive when it comes to getting a close shave. On the other hand, the cushion will help prevent irritations. If I want BBS, I need to get close to the skin, so I don't want any cushion. I still want the blade to glide nicely, so lubricity is still something I want, but cushion??
You pretty much answered your own questions. BBS with irritation isn't BBS. I say the blade will glide better with cushion because although Astroglide has more 'slip' to it and is better at reducing friction, the product with cushion will have less friction to combat. In the end you're going to get a closer shave if you can get through multiple passes with a product with some cushion vs. ripping up your skin with something like Astroglide.

OldSaw

The wife's investment

Remember, you want to cut the whiskers, not the skin. When going ATG the whisker will climb the blade slightly before being sheared, so the cushioning film should not hamper getting a BBS finish, but still protect the skin.

Think viscosity of lather. Some products have higher cushion and some have lower cushion just like engine oils. You also have control over the cushion by how much water you add to the product - the less water the more cushion but there is a point of diminshed efficacy with either extreme. Add more water and make a thinner lather with products that have more cushion - these would be the upper crust creams like Harris, Trumpers etc. They will still have more cushion but by diminishing it you will be able to better shave BBS. Or if you have irritation from a previous bad shave, you can use a little less water making a thicker more protective lather to help you heal.

Everyone needs a little cushion it's just a matter of how much. And as mentioned technique will play into it as well as other factors. Generally though good technique requires less cushion.

Chris

"Cushioning" refers to the slick barrier of the lather between the blade's edge and your skin.

Top Bottom