What's new

Help! Dry skin.. What balm? Pre-shave Oil?

So after a couple months of DE shaving and a week of straight razor shaving I've come to the conclusion that I need a balm with serious moisturizers. I've always had dry skin and my face is no exception. I don't have overly sensitive skin, but I really don't want to have a medicine cabinet of balms simply to find the "one" that works. Any recommendations for a moisture rich balm would be appreciated. The only balm I have currently is Pre de Province w/ shea butter. It absorbs quickly, smells pretty good, doesn't leave my skin sticky, but also doesn't moisturize enough. Perhaps I should try a pre-shave oil in my routine?

Might I suggest the obvious - use a moisturiser after your balm? Ask the missus if you can have a go at hers (unless she has oily skin) or pop into a chemist/beauty shop and ask. You don't need to spend a fortune nor do you have to stick with products marketed for men. I can't give specific products I find work because I'm unfamiliar with what's available over at your side of the pond but I'm sure you have a pot of Nivea creme (in the classic dark blue container) about the house that'll do for now.

I have been using the wife's facial moisturizer, but I had forgotten about Nivea. My mother uses it, and she has similar skin issues. Thanks for the reminder Burgundy! I was just hoping to be able to use one product.

Nivea sensitive ASB is a very decent product and might be "the ticket" for you. Should be easily found in your area

proxy.php

how old are you I ask this because after 25 you need a daily facial moisturizer. plain and simple. I don't use balms, only aftershave splash as it helps with the burn better and knicks. then I always follow with a good facial moisturizer. any decent oine will do. I use Jack Black with spf. awesome stuff.
preshave oils are mainly for the shave but does help. But I suggest a simple facial moisturizer after your daily shave routine. everything else is excess,

Thanks for all the input. I've always used moisturizers, but was hoping to find a all-in-one solution. The Nivea may be the closest I'll find to that. I live in AK so cold weather = dry skin. The hottest it's gotten this "summer" is 72 degrees, and I was dying... amazing how you acclimate. This last winter we had 6 weeks of -30 or colder, now that will wreak some havoc on your skin.

What about the Arko classic moisturizing cream it has beeswax, glycerin, and lanolin in it just to name a few ingredients. It is unfortuanlly not as natural as I would like but I think it would work well for your dry skin. It can be found in the tube form from shaveabuck.com and it can be found in tub form from razorbladesandmore.com.

Last edited:
I had dry skin (especially the T-area around the eyebrows and sides of nose) that I was moisturizing with Nivea Men's sensitive skin lotion, which worked very well, but then I started drinking 80 oz of water a day at the advice of a nutritionist (40 oz during work and 40 oz in the evening). No more dry skin. So, I know it sounds like a silly question, but have you tried the drinking more water thing first? Always better to try a natural cure before the man-made solutions...

But if that is not the problem, then I highly recommend the Nivea cream. It's the same product family as the famous PSB, but it's the lotion.

Last edited:
Pre-shave can be helpful, also using a good moisturizing, nourishing soap such as WFS or MdC will help your skin during the shave. As ASB Speick is great. In winter, I will also have to resort to a regular moisturizing cream post shave. The many ASBs I have were great in Summer come colder weather I will resort to Weleda creams or even cold cream of sorts depending on temperatures in Germany.

Top Bottom