What's new

SCS update

I just wanted to update everyone on the re-opening of SCS. After over a month of agonizing permits and inspectors I can have the contractor continue working on my shop within the week. The new town I moved to, in the same County, has many "rules" we did not have at my old residence. My plans were to build a larger more functional shop, this is still going to happen just not as quickly as I had planned.

The home I bought had a few cracks in the basement walls that I wanted fixed. This is very typical of the area, many houses get water in the basements and I wanted to avoid any possibility for this. With the home being a foreclosure I was not entitled to disclosures so it was buyer beware. I contracted a waterproofing company to fill each crack, lay new larger drain tile and put in a triple sump pump. After that was completed they put up water barrier walls to keep any moisture out. Little did I know this would raise red flags with the city inspector, he thought because I put those walls up that we may be hiding foundation issues and that we were avoiding getting permits. Waterproofing does not require a permit so he wanted to find something else to pick on me for. :cursing: It did not matter to the inspector that I already paid 4 separate companies to check foundation before I bought and also paid a building inspector to inspect the entire home. This inspector is an occupancy inspector so what he says, goes. I had to have a structural engineer come out again and give exact specifics of the work done and provide the city inspector a letter to his approval. To do this I had to have the water proofing company come out and tear down numerous walls to have the structural engineer evaluate. Now the inspector wants to come back out to make sure I have screens on every window :blink:. It looks like I will have the go ahead to put up the drywall walls where needed to finish my shop within the next week. And yes, I have permits : )

Since I have a bit more time until I can actually open back up, I am going to take a long break and enjoy a little time with my kids before school starts. They have been dealing with me sanding walls, painting, changing doors, landscaping, you name it, it had to be done. Since I do not have many handyman helpers, I have learned a lot doing most of it on my own. Thankfully I have a great brother who was nice enough to take down all of the creepy light fixtures and hang new ones for me, I am a bit scared of electricity, I could not get him to hang new shutters though, I did this and realized I hate heights worse than electricity. I kept yelling at my kids for touching the ladder, it was me shaking.

I am still available through email, I will not be available this Tuesday July 24th - Aug 3rd. I may be able to get email access but the wifi where I am going is very questionable. Sometimes it works great, others not at all.

I will put an update out here when I get a re-opening date. Thank you for all of your support and understanding during this transition.

Wendy

Wow. Sounds like a nightmare! Hope things get settled soon.

I am still enjoying the Neroli aftershave splash. Really a nice product.

Wow, I know how difficult getting the proper inspections, permits and working with building inspectors and HOAs. Hopefully the rest will come together quickly. Thanks again for taking care of me when your website let me order by mistake. You've been great and I have been impressed with your constant communication and great customer service.

Wow that sounds like quite the ordeal!
just think of all the people who will be happy you are back up and running.

Good luck getting everything lined up and moving forward.

BTW- it was another SCS day for me...Savory Rose soap, milk and EDT.

I thought I would enjoy the time off but I am going stir crazy. I get bored unpacking boxes all day. My internet has been on again off again, after that was fixed the contractors cut the cable line, twice. I am ready for some normal messes, like spilling splash all over or my kids irritating me making lather. I must say, my four year old can do it pretty darn good, wish she could start testing too. I may have to use her in an instructional video.

I will be sure the next post has more "soap and splash" in it. :thumbup:

Any news, Wendy?

It sure has been a slow move. I am very close to finishing. I got the clear to move forward, a "real occupancy permit", the day of my deadline. I am waiting on two special order doors to come in, that should be this week. I have to do a few finishing touches then I can get my shelving transported from old house here. I have a friend coming to run some more electrical for me next week. I should be up and running within a couple of weeks. The best part is the kids go back to school in 31 hours and I can get a ton of my grunt work done. : )

It sure has been a slow move. I am very close to finishing. I got the clear to move forward, a "real occupancy permit", the day of my deadline. I am waiting on two special order doors to come in, that should be this week. I have to do a few finishing touches then I can get my shelving transported from old house here. I have a friend coming to run some more electrical for me next week. I should be up and running within a couple of weeks. The best part is the kids go back to school in 31 hours and I can get a ton of my grunt work done. : )

Great news!!!!

Nice to hear!

Top Bottom