What's new

I don't much about coticule... but this made me laugh

He also has $130 Arkansas stone, $250 "unknown hone", $360 "razor hone", and another $380 special coticule with detail pictures of that very rarely seen black manganese line. And in case you forgot - he said:

"What you are veiwing is a stone....."

No **** Sherlock....

And this, from his description of another coticule he's selling...

"What you are veiwing is a stone.
That you should surely add to your collection.
Of nice sharpening stones for your razors.
Not all the coticules out there are suitable for straight razor sharpening."

I found myself counting the syllables of each line, hoping that it was a haiku.

I did, too. We just had a haiku contest on another forum I belong to and I kept trying to get the rhythm down while reading it... looked like Steve Martin trying to keep time to music.

Descriptions
No make sense
He Reputable Seller

There you go. Knew he was shooting for something like that. My mind is now at ease... :thumbup:

I'm glad you said something. I wonder how many of my other posts make me look like a *****? Don't answer that! :lol:

So, how come no one has bought my orange Coticule, yet :tongue_sm
Jkh... no high five... but one of these -> :a17: and me apologizing saying how awesome you are. I didn't know if it was sarcasm or not and I've read your posts before so I was caught a little surprised. The New York inner city part of me automatically thought ( why is he disrespecting me!!!) . But no were cool man. Sorry for the overreaction:blushing:

Actually... I'll give you a overreaction apology super high five!

$8.99 FOR SHIPPING!!!!!!:scared:
forget it. i think i'll just buy puma's and throw them away and buy new ones when they get dull. think of the money i'll save.
puma's might not be as purdy as that stone, but they are more gooder.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
$8.99 FOR SHIPPING!!!!!!:scared:
forget it. i think i'll just buy puma's and throw them away and buy new ones when they get dull. think of the money i'll save.
puma's might not be as purdy as that stone, but they are more gooder.
Is that the recomended price on the box? SRP $59.75...........
and only $89 to ship to NZ.:scared:
Man must have rocks in his head...........

Last edited:
Not gonna lie, I made the following offer:

$2
IS THIS A STONE I AM VIEWING!?!?!? I HEAR IT MAY OR MAY NOT BE BELGIAN COTICULE STONELIKE WITH HARDNESS.

I figure someone so well versed in gibberish will be able to understand my own variation.

As humorous and off the wall as this item is, it points to the sad state that Ebay has become on a daily basis and to a lesser extent, the ridiculous prices the shaving community is willing to pay for items. I watched an Escher go for $800 just a few weeks ago that was nothing out of the ordinary in either condition or size. The "old time" shaving community has driven the prices of razors and hones right through the roof and sites such as this one has created a "mystique" regarding razors and stones that has left credibility behind a long time ago. People list on Ebay just waiting for suckers that don't know any better or have more money than sense. There is no logical reason for these items to go up 500%-800% in just a couple of years except for stupidity and greed on the part of buyers and sellers. It is now becoming necessity, because if you want a quality item now, you have to pay the inflated prices unless you can find the items at an estate sale or antique store that doesn't know what has happened.

Certainly there are exceptions, but for most it isn't worth the time to find something listed because 95% of the time you know the price is going to be bid through the roof. It's just a shame, because a person used to be able to find fair and reasonable deals on all sorts of shaving items and it was both fun and informative to experiment with new toys. Straight shaving used to be the reasonable alternative to high dollars spent for mediocre shaves from mass produced throw away razors. Now I'm thinking of going back to Gillette just to protest the much more expensive sham that straight razor shaving has become.

It's just a shame, because a person used to be able to find fair and reasonable deals on all sorts of shaving items and it was both fun and informative to experiment with new toys. Straight shaving used to be the reasonable alternative to high dollars spent for mediocre shaves from mass produced throw away razors. Now I'm thinking of going back to Gillette just to protest the much more expensive sham that straight razor shaving has become.

While I agree with your overall point, the reality is that it is still possible to find fair and reasonable deals on all sorts of shaving related items.

There are still tons of quality and reasonably priced stuff out there. 10" Eschers? Of course thats going to be expensive. High end stuff will always be expensive. The bar has certainly moved up a bit in recent years, but you can't look at the top end stuff and write off everything. Large thuringians can be had for relatively little. If you want the label then yea, you're going to pay extra for it. Same with vintage razors. Brands fluctuate in value, and they can reach silly prices. But that doesn't mean all vintage razors are overpriced. If anything, the market is soft right now. Look at Dubl Ducks. In the last year they have gone down significantly in value. Same with Fillies. W&B FBUs have gone up. Its a market. It fluctuates.

I wouldn't call straight shaving a sham. Thats really not a fair conclusion. But if people decide to quit buying straights thats fine with me, less people bidding on the same auctions I am

I got a response from him today concerning the coticule and here's the response

It is 7 inchs long by one and 1/2 inch wide.
well cause it's a so darn fine on
the grit.
only like one out of 4 coticules
i find are this darn fine.
could sell ya a arkansas stone
this fine for only hundred bucks.
if you need something more affordable.
for your finishing needs.

I say we all send him a message and start a twitter feed.....

I got a response from him today concerning the coticule and here's the response

It is 7 inchs long by one and 1/2 inch wide.
well cause it's a so darn fine on
the grit.
only like one out of 4 coticules
i find are this darn fine.
could sell ya a arkansas stone
this fine for only hundred bucks.
if you need something more affordable.
for your finishing needs.

I say we all send him a message and start a twitter feed.....

Oh great encourage the moron. Did you ask him the specific density and garnet content?

we rag on him but the truth is, there's one born every min.!! some people just dont care about cost. they figure, "if it cost more, it must be better".
i once saw a bottle covered in that drippy wax, claimed to have had a demon trapped inside!! had paperwork that came with it, (what it read i have no clue) this item sold on ebay for??? anyone? anyone??..... over 14k!! for a wax covered bottle claiming to have a demon inside. FOR REAL!!! im not making this up.
as for this stone? anyone who needs a stone will know what to expect to pay. so im sure he wont get asking price.

Top Bottom