What's new

Battle of the Ruskies

I just spent one hour posting my mini-review of several Russian-made blades. My login apparently timed out while I did this and when I logged in again, I lost the entire review. I love BB but I do not have another hour, so here are the results in the form of rankings:

Voskhod > Perma-Sharps and Ladas > Astra Super Plat > Sputnik (Teflon-coated) > Astra Super Stainless > Gillette Rubie

The Permas and Ladas could be considered equal to the Voskhods and I would not argue. Also, given the price of Gillette Rubies, I was sorely disappointed.

Sorry again about the review being lost.

The Ladas and the Voskhods as far as I understand are the same blade (both being made by Rapira) but the Voskhod has a teflon coating

Last edited:
If you get the time to type up the review again please do I'd be interesting in reading your findings in full

I would also be interested in reading your full findings as I love both the Ladas and the Perma-Sharps. I really want to try some of the Voskhods but can not find a review and do not want to blind buy. Anyone know where I can get a few packs of these to try?

I've tried: Gillette Rubie>Ladas>Astra Super Plat>Sputnik (Teflon-coated) and IMHO I'd rank them in that order.

Adding a couple more, I'd rank all the ones I've tried like this: Super Iridiums>Gillette Rubie>Gillette Super Plat Blue>Ladas>Astra Super Plat>Sputnik (Teflon-coated)>Gillette Yellow Pack.

So far, I haven't met a Russian blade I didn't like, however, and they're all pretty close. The only ones that seem substantially different than the others are the Sputniks. They seem not quite as sharp, and I find the teflon makes them a little more forgiving and also provides more feedback. I've found them good for getting used to new razors.

Great to see what others think, though, especially about the ones I haven't tried yet. I want to try them all, but I'm really interested in getting my hands on some Perma-Sharps. It's been a long time since I've used the Ladas too, and my memory of them is a little fuzzy.

My ranking of the Ruskie's I've tried:

Voskhod > PolSilver & Sputnik > Iridium Super > Rapira Super Stainless > Rapira Swedish Supersteel > Ladas > Astra SP

Just tried Ladas the last 2 shaves. I was about to post a new thread championing them when I found this one. Very sharp and smooth.

Top Bottom