What's new

Post Your Catch

First catch for my 4 year old daughter. We waded into the Roanoke Sound in Nags Head, N.C.--mostly Corakers, and we even picked up a few doubles. By the end of the day, she was taking them off the hook and releasing to "go get bigger so we can eat you!!"

Always great to see kids with their first catch, hopefully there will be many more to come:001_smile Unfortunately my daughter didn't enjoy fishing, maybe it was the trip we did when it was -2 that put her off:biggrin1:

$10441473_10154204703470063_2809161979887209613_n.jpg
Best bass of 2014 for me thus far - 19" destroyed a Buzz Bait I was ripping through some standing reeds, awesome fight

Hey all! Visiting family this weekend, and caught this out in the Trent River, NC. Anyone know what this is? Maybe a Bowfin?

Attachments

• $20141004_175248.jpg
    $20141004_175248.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 147
Could be a bowfin but there's an invasive species, the snakehead, that also has that extended dorsal fin. It's hard to tell for sure. Did it have a prominent eye-spot on its tail? If it was a snakehead it needed killing and eating. The bowfin has the spot; the snakehead doesn't.

Last edited:
I started fly fishing this summer and got a really nice trout this weekend. It was on a smaller stream that gets a fair amount of pressure and I thought just had stocked fish, which is what I'd caught in the past, mostly in the 7-12 inch range. So, this one was quite the surprise and my biggest by far.

I saw it ahead of me as the water was very clear, but only after I thought it was surely too late and that it'd be spooked as I'd gotten too close. Still, it looked bigger than normal and I couldn't resist a few casts anyways. So, I backed up a bit and decided to give it a try. The fly I had on didn't get any looks after a couple casts. So, I figured it was spooked, but then I noticed it feeding on something just after a cast had drifted out of range. So, I figured, maybe if I got the right fly on, it'd go for it. After switching flies, it took a good look at it twice before taking it solidly on the third cast. It took a few minutes to get it in the net and involved a couple runs downstream with it. But I finally managed to net it. After a few quick photos, it was back in the stream and swam away.

$IMG_0422.jpg$IMG_0423 copy.jpg

I started fly fishing this summer and got a really nice trout this weekend. It was on a smaller stream that gets a fair amount of pressure and I thought just had stocked fish, which is what I'd caught in the past, mostly in the 7-12 inch range. So, this one was quite the surprise and my biggest by far.

I saw it ahead of me as the water was very clear, but only after I thought it was surely too late and that it'd be spooked as I'd gotten too close. Still, it looked bigger than normal and I couldn't resist a few casts anyways. So, I backed up a bit and decided to give it a try. The fly I had on didn't get any looks after a couple casts. So, I figured it was spooked, but then I noticed it feeding on something just after a cast had drifted out of range. So, I figured, maybe if I got the right fly on, it'd go for it. After switching flies, it took a good look at it twice before taking it solidly on the third cast. It took a few minutes to get it in the net and involved a couple runs downstream with it. But I finally managed to net it. After a few quick photos, it was back in the stream and swam away.

View attachment 509601View attachment 509602

Wow! Sweet bow. I wonder if it was hatchery breeding stock that was released at the end of the season? Seems huge for a small stream with lots of pressure.

Me and Dad's last stringer of bass this year, I hate fishing in the cold. Largest is 18" smallest is 12"
$Fishes.jpg
$pond.jpg
This is our secret, must be located by coordinates, pond in Charleston, SC. Full of weeds and alligators, but with the right bait, bugspray, and some caution, a bread-winning hole. We only go when we've failed at catching anything in the salt (which happens often, we're from upstate SC, no salt there).

Cheers!

Last edited:
Top Bottom