What's new

Post Your Catch

Pulled 10 sheepshead out of the river the other day. Fun to reel in but not good eating.

View attachment 349292

In Florida we have a saltwater breed of sheephead which are in the porgy family. They have very sharp teeth for grinding shell fish and crabs. They are delicious to eat down here.

Some folks call them prisoner fish because of their stripes.

Here a picture of our sheephead.

$sheephead.jpg

Interesting. I've never eaten a sheepshead before but I've always been told they taste awful unless smoked. Where I fish you pull them in all day long. Maybe I'll try one next time.

That same day my father in law had a stringer full of huge catfish.

Interesting. I've never eaten a sheepshead before but I've always been told they taste awful unless smoked. Where I fish you pull them in all day long. Maybe I'll try one next time.

That same day my father in law had a stringer full of huge catfish.

The freshwater variety may differ from what we get in saltwater. The saltwater catfish, for example, are horrible while the fresh a good.

A few of these this morning. Filleted and in the fridge. I read that if you soak the fillets in salt and water it helps reduce the fishy taste? Is that true?
$catfish.jpg

A few of these this morning. Filleted and in the fridge. I read that if you soak the fillets in salt and water it helps reduce the fishy taste? Is that true?
View attachment 350252

The best way to preserve optimal taste is to skin the cat and not allow the outside of the skin to touch the meat anywhere. If you're going to put in saltwater be sure to use Kosher salt not table salt and use a glass or porcelain container. Some folks will use a buttermilk or sweet milk soak. We always just skinned 'em and fried 'em-the sooner the better.

Any idea of what kind of catfish that I'm holding? I think it's a channel cat and the smaller ones I had were more yellow so I'm guessing bullhead.

$0709131446.jpg$0708131015c.jpg$0706130914c.jpg

Here are just a few of the fish I caught this past week in cedros, Mexico. 4 Days of fishing and I caught 15+ yellowtail, more calico than I could count, and a variety of other fish such as that sheepshead.

Caught on a size 16 dry fly I tied, with 4lb tippet on a 2wt fly rod. It might be hard to tell that this bad boy is about 7 lb, but she is. Check out how small my rod and reel look. :)

Definitely the largest trout I've caught on a dry.

$trout.jpg

@ Toothpick- He actually didn't fight that much, just one jump, then I got him to the bank and pulled him into the brush.
@ attime6- I used a while swimming fluke lure that was chewed all to hell before I got him. He snatched the hook right through the lure.
@ oldbluelight- I honestly haven't seen a bluegill out there, plenty of smaller bass, but not a single bluegill. Rumor has it that he isn't the biggest in the pond by about 6 pounds. Thats the one I wanna get ahold of.

Top Bottom