What's new

Does a soap's smell matter? Does the smell of it linger after you're done shaving?

I certainly enjoy a pleasant scent. Some linger, and some dissipate quickly. I have some that are both ways.

I am in the camp that the smell does not matter. To me it's all a matter of what I can get to lather the best for my shave. Being a newbie, I am going through some of the cheaper soaps at the moment.

Scent matters in that it adds to the overall enjoyment. I love the variety of scents and acknowledge the hard work the makers put in to come up with these scents. Certainly if a soap smelled like rotting fish people wouldn't enjoy it (well, maybe the Arko fans would) even if it performed fantastically.

As to lingering, I actually don't want the scents to linger. Generally, the type of scents I enjoy while shaving are necessarily the scents I like to wear. For example, I used a Calani honey scented soap this morning. Just an awesome scent to shave with, but I don't go looking honey scented cologne.

It is as with food; everything will nourish you but still it is pretty important how it tastes. And that taste won't linger too long after the meal either. Still performance is number 1 for me though I won't replace a well working soap if I don't at least tolerate the scent; I prefer my soaps to be nicely scented, which is the reason I won't buy another brick of Cella though it has stellar performance.

Does a soap's smell matter?

ABSOLUTELY!

Performance matters even more, but why not enjoy the scent of a great performing soap while you're shaving? There are so many great smelling performers out there!....

I care for the smell more than the performance. I can tolerate and accept soaps and creams that perform differently just for the great scents. It would be much easier for me if I didn't appreciate scents that much because instead having hard time to pick from 15 products, I'd stock 20 pucks of D.R. Harris Almond and be happy until they're gone.

I would add that I view it is a threshold issue...if I don't like the smell it will never get used, no matter how well it preforms.

I prefer the performance first, scent is definitely second, but it can definitely make me want to throw throw the soap away. Sadly I am finding out the more citrus type soaps really irritate my sking. RR Don Marco, XXX, so hopefully the trend doesn't continue.

Scent is very important, but performance is critical.

I have chucked soaps that smell great because they lather miserably (GFT Rose!) and have had the scent stop me from undoing the wrapper on soaps that are universally acclaimed for their performance (Arko)

For me soaps loose their scent just sitting around anyway, and devolve down into pretty much unscented over time. But even when new, I don't get any scent at all after I've rinsed it off. For me it's all about performance. This is probably why I pretty much just use Arko now (although I do like the scent before it fades).

Scent is hugely important for me in a soap. Performance is key, but enjoying the scent is one of the biggest parts of the ritual... I don't think I'd ever use an unscented product unless my health demanded it.

I also prefer to use a complimentary aftershave, where possible, to fully appreciate the sensory experience.

D.R Harris Marlborough actually stayed with me for a whole day once, i got "windpuffs" during the whole day.. and my friend could smell it too =) Nice!

Yeah scent is important. I know even if I could get a workable lather out of Herban Cowboy and was able to get a great shave out of it I still wouldn't. Why? Because the lather smells like dirty feet, that's why.
You may as well be asking why are there so many different flavors of soda pop? Why do cars come in so many different colors? Because we are all free thinking individuals free to pursue what we enjoy in the manner which befits us each individually.

With so many choices out there, there's something for everybody that both works good and smells good. I've never had a soap scent linger after the shave.

I find scent to be important in that I don't want to shave with something that smells offensive or unenjoyable...

1) Performance
2) Performance
3) Performance
4) Scent

Scent matters in that it's my first impression of the soap. My favorite is MB Dragon's Blood, and I just received the cologne version. I plan on using both tomorrow.

Yeah I agree with the gentlemen who find the soap scent washes off. That's why I got the cologne!

I'm using a puck of VDH from Walmart. I also bought a trial-size bar of Dove to try, but it smells so sweet I'm afraid to use it in case it lingers too strong.

I will get some Arko when I order blades and stuff soon. (it's still out of stock at razorbladesAndMore.com) Arko smells like citronella bug spray and grapefruit peel, right? (how could that not be good)

At first I purchased based upon scent, but as I've gotten more experienced I've figured out that, for me, performance is more important.

I prefer to shave with something I like, but I have aa few in the rotation that I really dislike and use for the performance. Some of the stronger ones linger a little, but aftershave pretty much covers anything

A stick of Taylor of Bond - sandalwood - stuck with me for quite awhile (3 or 4 hours) a couple of days ago, enough to make me realize I dont think I like it! I'll give it another whirl later, but the smell is not my favorite. Especially later.

Top Bottom