What's new

Newbie Introduction Salvete, omnibus - Howdy fellas!

By way of introducing myself, I will confess that I bought a new Dovo
from the local Victorinox store which is closing its doors as of January, or so I
was told by the staff. Everything there is half off. Which means that I wound
up paying about what I should have for a local mall retailer? Two hundred for the Dovo with the Thuya
wood scales and sixty dollars for the strop. I wish I had registered here first because then I might have discovered Whpped Dog before making my purchase. I think their "Sight Unseen Kit" is absolutely the way to go for anyone looking to startup. To think I could have saved two hundred dollars - well, I'm better off not thinking about it.

I didn't realize that a new Dovo does not come shave ready. After first two or
three real attempts to use it I realized this and went back and bought the Dovo
strop. After a hundred or so strokes or passes, whatever the proper word is,
the blade was much sharper. I have put an additional couple of hundred passes
on it and it easily passed the sharpness test of cutting some of my arm hairs
at about mid height - not on the skin.

I use The Art of Shaving's pre-shave oil and it works, fine, I guess. I have
read that Castle Forbes is the best. It's a little pricey but maybe worth it?

Anyway, my real reason for getting into straight razor shaving is not to buy
expensive blades and toiletries, but because I loathe the disposable, phoney
debt-money economy which is all about waste and taking our money. I would
rather have one blade and keep it sharp myself, thank you very much. I suspect
I'm not alone in this sentiment. Additionally, my hair is pretty hard and it
dulls those expensive refills after very few uses and I don't like having to
keep going back to "the machine", "the system" for...
anything.

I look forward to learning from you guys.

Cheers,
Steve D. (Steelcut)

Welcome. If you need to have the dovo made shave ready I can do it for you for the price if shipping.

Welcome aboard.

heh...

Welcome. If your goal is to avoid the economic whatever you said about not buying a ton of junk, I hope you have more willpower than I.

This forum is great for a lot of reasons, but encouraging purchasing self-discipline is not one of them!

I can see that, Neognosis. But at least instead of throwing 20 dollars of my precious phoney debt-money at new blades I can put it toward anyting else I choose. And don't get me wrong - I love to spend money - but I don't have that much of it to begin with and I'll be keeping my antennae up for local and natural toiletries. There's nothing wrong with a company bringing something to the marketplace, but if I can harvest something naturally like the wildfoods which grow in great abundance, I will. But yes, I can get caught up easily in buying things I desire but don't need.

That's mighty neighborly of you, Alfredo. I may take you up on that despite my penchant for independence.

Welcome to B&B. Be sure to check out the straight razor forums. You will find a wealth of information there.

I also use a pre-shave oil. I use either my own recipe or T&H pre shave oil. I have a very thick, wiry beard. Plus I have sensitive skin. I have been using pre-shave oil for years.

Pre shave oil is designed to give your skin an added layer of protection prior to apply a shaving soap or cream lather. The additional benefits of pre-shave oil are that it moisturizes the skin and protects your skin from razor burn or irritation. Pre-shave oil is one of those things that is an individual thing. Some find it helpful and some don't. For me, it has resulted in a better, closer shave without irritation.

Top Bottom