What's new

Shaving the head

This winter, I'm going to take the plunge. Times in the past, however, I've had some... issues with getting it clean. Now that I have a DE in my arsenal, I thought I'd try it again. Any tips out there for a novice head shaver?

If you are going to use a DE, take it slow the first couple of times. Don't aim for BBS, and you will most likely find some trouble spots. The area around the ears can be a but tricky, but not impossible.

Most of these suggestions apply to a newbie to DE shaving their face, but when you shave your head, you really can't see everywhere you are shaving, so you have to use touch more.

Matt..

I've had the usual baldy areas on my head and the "crop-circle" for some years now. So I took the plunge over a year ago and shaved my head. It is a strange experience at first, because we've probably all had hair at sometime, but once you do it it's great.

I shave my head every Wednesday night so it's the right length for the weekend. I now use any DE, but at first it did take a bit of doing. The top tip I would give anyone is - use two mirrors where possible. I use the concaved, adjustable mirror for daily shaving but for my head I flip it over to the normal side. That and one of the mirrored doors from the bathroom cabinet, when positioned right makes the job much, much easier when doing the back - but any 2 mirrors should do.

The second tip is, as mentioned, take it slow. There is nothing worse than finishing off a 3 pass head-shave, getting cocky and speeding up only to skin youself (slant & merkur blade?, get the picture? :eek: ) - it hurts like hell and bleeds like crazy, not good!

Tip three goes without saying - Go with the grain but having said that watch the back of your neck. I go againt the grain here - from back of the neck to the top off the head. If I go the other way, like how you would normally comb it, a rash is nearly instant. Best to feel your way here.

Also, it's a good way to get shot of all those soaps, blades and creams that you are not crazy about anymore. I lather up on my head with the brush and any cream I am sick of but haven't the heart to throw out, I use. With 3 slow, careful passes you can easily get BBS.

One last one, it's a good way to experiment and practise your blade angle and pressure without really doing any harm.

Hope this helps and good luck!

I have all my hair and for the summer I shaved my head to the skull. I used a headblade it was awesome hoever I was convinced I looked like an ex con and grew my hair back. Haedblade definetely worth it.

Normally, I'm all for the retro-way. I love shaving with a DE and I love using a brush and soap for my lathering needs. But--- I have got to say, that sometimes, the right option isn't the old way. I've got nothing but respect for anyone who attacks the noggin with their fatboy, or even, maybe especially, a straight, but I've got to give the nod to modern tech on this. I use a headblade razor for my skull. It is just so quick and it gives me BBS every time. I can't imagine hacking at my head with my Superspeed after using this thing. While their is a certain novelty and some serious macho-cred associated with shearing the bean with a safety razor, the headblade experience, for my money, can't be beat. Of course, there are those that say the headblade is refuse. So as always, insert standard YMMV clause here.

YMMV Clause:
View attachment 13324

I've heard it go either way about the headblade. What makes it so good? Also, is it better in this situation to shave in the shower? What about prep?

I'm going to set up an appointment at the Grooming Lounge for the first time and get it done by a "professional" I'll let you guys know how it goes.

+1 on the Headblade. I shave my head almost everyday with it and it does a great job. I find the DE on the head too slow and I don't get a better shave. With the Headblade I get BBS with every shave and never had any irritation and it takes two quick passes.

In all honesty I've been shaving my head off and on for almost 6 years. I've had professionals (barbers) shave my head and it has never been anywhere near as good as my own shave, face is a different story.

I've heard it go either way about the headblade. What makes it so good? Also, is it better in this situation to shave in the shower? What about prep?

I'm going to set up an appointment at the Grooming Lounge for the first time and get it done by a "professional" I'll let you guys know how it goes.

For me, the headblade is just so fast... it's very intuitive. You just sort of glide it across your head and it does all the work. It only takes a few minutes to learn how to use, and then you'll wonder why you would use anything else. I highly recommend the headblade brand shaving creams for this purpose as well. Although, I have recently found a shaving gel at the dollar tree that runs circles around anything I've ever used. That stuff is as slick as the proverbial... But yeah, I use the knock-off atra blades on my headblade, which a lot of people find too sharp, but I've had excellent luck with them.

I have been shaving my head for the past 10 years 3X a week and am currently using a Super Speed to handle the task. I have tried the Head Blade but I am so used to shaving with a handled razor, I was constantly cutting myself with it. I have a mirror in the shower and use a brush and soap to lather up. Shave from front to the crown of my head and from the neck up to the crown for my first pass. Second pass is from left ear to center of head and then right ear to center of head. Touch up for me, is usually from ear to crown on a diagonal pass.

I highly recommend shaving in the shower. I get the best shaves, including on my face, in the shower. As mentioned earlier....Take it slow! Probably the most difficult part of DE Head shaving is when you initiate a pass and first put the razor head on your own. If the angle isn't right, it can bite. If I ever cut myself, this is when it happens. Good luck

Sometimes (in the summer) I'll shave the sides of my head with either a M3 or headblade.. Also, my Panasonic foil electric does a good job at getting rid of a good bit of the hair on the sides (still need to do a razor pass to get the stubble)

This is the only time I'd ever use an M3 or electric or cartridge razor...I don't do this often enough to want to attempt it with a DE. SInce the colder weather, I've already let the hair grow out to about 1/32 of an inch...even a little hair helps insulate as opposed to a smooth dome:biggrin1:

If you are worried about time, shave your head at night. You can enjoy your shave and if you have some razor burn, it should be gone by morning.

If you are worried about time, shave your head at night. You can enjoy your shave and if you have some razor burn, it should be gone by morning.

Yep, I always shave my head at night. No rush, a spa-type experience. I discovered this forum, DE shaving, and this whole wet shaving sub-culture while originally looking up info on head shaving!

Tried the headblade (cool, but just too awkward for me), cartridges (expensive, not BBS enough for me), and a bunch of different Gillette DEs and blades.

The foolproof combination, for me anyway, is a Dorco blade in an old blue-tipped Gillette Super Speed. Very forgiving, but capable of better BBS head shaves than any cartridge. I like to keep it slick, and shave my head every other night. I get about three to four good head shaves out of a Dorco, the second and third shaves being optimal.

I use either Proraso green cream, or a good thick/slick soap like Penhaligon's, and keep the areas I'm shaving wet and slick. I wash my head first with glycerin soap, then lather and shave one half-section of my head at a time (prevents the soap from drying out), doing the entire back of my head last. I work slowly and smoothly, paying lots of attention to keeping a constant blade angle, with long overlapping strokes and light pressure. I do one pass ATG, carefully all over, then touch-ups generally ATG. Takes about 20 to 25 minutes for BBS, but I'm slow. And, I just enjoy doing it. :cool:

Don't be stingy with the water or cream/soap. Find a good, light grip technique that will allow you to maintain the blade angle along the curves of your head. I only cut myself when I try to force awkward angles, or don't use enough water/cream/soap. "Flow" is important, for me.

You already successfully wet shave your face, so you're way ahead, man. I found that for me, getting an irritation-free BBS face shave took a lot more time and experience to learn correctly than getting a BBS head shave. Take the plunge, you'll like it.

Bald and bold, my brother - no drugs, plugs, or rugs! :thumbup:

The top tip I would give anyone is - use two mirrors where possible. I use the concaved, adjustable mirror for daily shaving but for my head I flip it over to the normal side. That and one of the mirrored doors from the bathroom cabinet, when positioned right makes the job much, much easier when doing the back - but any 2 mirrors should do.

I find it easier to do the back of my head blind (without mirrors). The double mirrors confuse me. :sad:

I shave head and face at night and I use the Headblade to shave my head. I can't contrast using a DE on my head as I used a wet/dry electric shaver before wetshaving. The Headblade is very fast and easy for me and their pre and post headshaving products aren't bad either.

I shave my head every other day with a Slant and BIC blade. BBS everytime, no nicks, cuts or irritaion 90% of the time.

I find prep the most important aspect of the shave. Hot shower, shave stick, shave cream, voila BBS. Proper water to lather ratio is very important to a trouble free shave.

The theme of this thread is YMMV. :biggrin:

Try different methods, you will find what works for you. I personally have never used a mirror to shave the back of my head, and use only a DE (or a M3 in the shower if in a hurry). I like to use a bigger brush so I don't have to reload the brush and can cover more area with each pass of the brush. I even use witch hazel as aftershave sometimes. I generally only use creams or soaps used as shave sticks so I can get a really good lather built up.

I shave my head and face daily in the shower with a 40's SS and Red IP. The SS is the closest I've gotten to an automatic shave. I shave my head mostly by touch, with little use of a mirror, and the SS gives me consistent, comfortable bbs results.

I started DE shaving at about the same time as I began to shave my head. I found that DE's give me a much better result than cartridges, because I can go ATG without the abrasions multi-blade cartridges produce. For me, using DE's on both head and face doubles the pleasure.

Chuck

This is a terrific thread! I shave my head every day. I'm a Mach III guy on the head...soon to be getting acclimated to my new DE. Gonna get the practice on the face first...then onto the head.

Top Bottom