What's new

Shaving the head

It's been some months since I last shaved my head, but this thread inspired me to dust of my headblade. I whipped up a superlather, and went to work. I have to say, it's times like this that really remind how big a difference a good lather makes. When I use it on my face, because I'm now acclimated to it, I don't realize how much smoother it makes the shave.

Usually I use Headblade Headlsick and Headlube. Sometimes I just use my Trumpers shave cream Lime or Coconut.

I may have to look into headblade. What about in terms of products. What do you guys use on your heads?

I usually use Headslick, but sometimes I'll mix it up and use some Tree Hut Brazilnut cream (non-foaming, brushless, found in the women's fru-fru aisle at walmart near the foot scrubs). Recently though, I've become enamoured with "On the Go" brand "freeze shave gel" in a tube (also brushless). I got this stuff at the local Dollar Tree and I've been very impressed.

My hair started going south in my late teens (genes can be so cruel) but i did not start shaving my noggin until about ten years ago......god i wish i had taken the plunge earlier...the old man hairy halo was so uncool and i get way more attention with the smooth love dome....

I sometimes use my DE but prefer a headblade or Mach 3 for a close accurate shave. If you mess it up with a DE it will slice your scalp, which will usually result in a heavy bleed as the skin is tauter here than the rest of your face / body. I always shave against the grain as i feel it get a smoother finish, then slap one a good moisturizer.

Matt-

I've been shaving the top of my dome for about 8 years. A friend challenged me to just start shaving it one day. He said, 'Give it up. Those few hairs aren't going to find enough friends to matter." He was right.:001_tongu

That said, I think head shaving IS a good place for a cartridge razor. Gasp!! I use a Gilette Fusion. It does a fine job with never a nick or cut. Just remember to keep it off your face!

I may have to look into headblade. What about in terms of products. What do you guys use on your heads?

Headblade needs to start paying me for endorsements! I use the Headscrub, Headslick and the Headlube. If there's something you want to buy from their site, use the code "myspace" when checking out for a discount. And yes, they're in my top friends :thumbup1: .

I guess its quite a shock to see yourself for the first time without any hair...some of us are unlucky that we're losing that once great society of hair and shaving what remains is a big step.

A friend of mine wanted to use Rogaine but found out you have to use it forever and that stuff is very expensive and would cut into his brandy and cigar money, not to mention his steak budget and side effect is impotence.

Needless to say he decided to shave what was left. It took a while getting used to the new look but I have to say that I'm tempted to do it myself should I get to the point of hair loss that he was.

I have considered using a DE to shave my head, but I think it would be difficult to maintain the correct angle.

My routine is to shave in the shower using a Mach 3. I get a BBS shave quickly without having to pay close attention (I'm not a morning person).

I have been experimenting with a Headblade, but so far I haven't been able to get as close a shave as I do with the M3.

Clyde

I kept on going back and forth about getting a Headblade, but I didn't want to buy it if I wasn't going to like it, or even stop shaving my head at some point. I just went ahead with using my DE. My gear:

Gold Aristocrat with a Crystal Blade
Edwin Jagger Best Badger Brush ( I think it's called the Georgian. Whatever the case, it's my favorite:biggrin: )
Grooming Lounge Shave Oil
Honeybee Lime Soap
Barc Shave Cream
Barc Bump Down

I know, I probably used too much product, but who cares? I used some old clippers to get my hair down to shaving level. After that, I put on the shave oil with wet hands, like I would my face when I have some growth. While that sunk in, I prepared my lather. My first application came out a little watery, because I didn't use enough soap and too much water, but it was fine for getting my hair and scalp mositurized. I put two head washcloths on my head because my dome's that big. While that was working, I added some barc to make some superlather.

I had my wife do the shave, as I was still too nervous from my previous attempts to shave my head. At first, I thought this might be a bad idea, because my wife's never touched a DE before. but she did an excellent job. I(or she) did two passes WTG using very short strokes. I had her use a very acute angle, maybe 20 degrees. No nicks, and what's most important, no bumps. After the shave, I used the still wet washcloth to wipe off the excess lather, and applied some Barc Bump Down to prevent ingrowns.

It was a fantastic, yet time-consuming expierence. It took almost an hour all told. My head isn't BBS either, but It'll pass as bald as I work on my technique. I'll probably do it again with my wife next week and cut back on the oil.

One last question for my bald companions; do you put anything different on your heads to moisturize? This morning, my scalp was very, very dry. I, put on some of my Lubriderm, but it still looks a little dry. Thanls again for everybody's help

:shaving:

After I shave my head, usually splash on my after-shave of the day (usually Pinaud's hell-burn, er, I mean Bay Rum). Then, after towling off--I did mention I shave in the bath right?-- I apply a little lotion to the dome. I usually use Headlube, but sometimes, if I'm feeling froggy, I'll slap a little utter balm on there. At any rate, I like to wait a few minutes after applying AS so that the pores have time to recalibrate. I usually apply another dime sized dollop of Headlube in the mornings before heading out for work. (I shave at night.) I swear, Headblade should send me some goodies for all the shilling I've done in this thread alone; I just really like their product.

I'll have to give my :thumbup: for using the Headblade. I like the Headlube when I shave my head in the shower. If I shave at the sink I will use a brush and cream (really like Mugso Real and Proraso for headshaving). Nothing like a Proraso shave followed by Prorosa splash on the head (especially in the hot summer months in Alabama -- which are about 10 months out of the year).

I have been shaving my head for the past 10 years 3X a week and am currently using a Super Speed to handle the task. I have tried the Head Blade but I am so used to shaving with a handled razor, I was constantly cutting myself with it. I have a mirror in the shower and use a brush and soap to lather up. Shave from front to the crown of my head and from the neck up to the crown for my first pass. Second pass is from left ear to center of head and then

right ear to center of head. Touch up for me, is usually from ear to crown on a diagonal pass.

I highly recommend shaving in the shower. I get the best shaves, including on my face, in the shower. As mentioned earlier....Take it slow! Probably the most difficult part of DE Head shaving is when you initiate a pass and first put the razor head on your own. If the angle isn't right, it can bite. If I ever cut myself, this is when it happens. Good luck

I hate to use the word 'Ditto" but ...

I came into DE shaving in reverse. I've been shaving my head with DE razors for nearly 10 years. I only started using DE's on my face about year ago.

When I first started, it took forever to shave my head. I now can do it in less than 15 minutes.

If I've let my hair grow too much (more than 2 weeks) I use a electric clipper to give myself a quick super crew cut. Basically get my head hair down to a stubble. This takes about 2 minutes.

I then go to the shower. Shave my face, clean myself off. And then with the warm water still running, I tackle my head. I don't use a mirror, I go by touch. The goal is to get the head 95% shaved while in the shower. You are not going for perfection here. If you leave a rough spot or two, don't worry. This takes at most 10 minutes.

15 minutes after shaving, once my head dries, I'll feel around for any hairs / spots I've missed and gently pass a BIC single disposable over my dry head almost like a comb. I then massage a nice sized dollop of cocoa butter all over my cleanly shaven head.

My other suggestion is to use the dulled razors that you are no longer sharp enough for shaving your face to shave your head. Your facial hair is fairly coarse. Your head hair is not. Using the duller blade also cuts down on self inflicted nicks.

Basically, I shave my face for two weeks with a well maintained Derby (ie dry the blade after each shave). After two weeks I take the blade out of my Futur and store it in a little box. When needed, I place the dulled Derby in my Gillette Super Speed and shave my head. I usually get one or two head shaves from the dulled blade before I finally have to dispose of it.

As for soap. I'm not picky about product. I usually toss all the small bits of soap that are too small to shower with (or soaps I get from hotels) into the magic "cup 'o shaving".

As for brushes, I use my old "not ready for prime time - retired" brushes to lather up my head.

For the Headblade users in this thread:

I'm coming to the states for a few months and am wondering where I can buy the Headblade blades. Do they have a wide distribution? I have been using the Gillette Atra blades, and as I remember the Headblade blades were much better.

what shaving gel would that be?

The brand is "On the Go" and it's called "Freeze Shave Gel" It's in a blue plastic tube with a fliptop. It smells kind of funny, but don't let that put you off.

As for those looking for headblade brand blades, I've seen them at Walgreens. Kmart carries the razor, the cream, and the lotion, but not the blades... go figure.

I bought Headblade blades at Walgreens.

On another Headblade note my S4 arrived last night and I did my first shave with it this morning. The S4 is awesome, it feels way better than the Classic and Sport.

:smile: Great to see this thread has gettin' some mileage..

I've noticed a lot of folk plum for the headblade! Cool, never tried one, good luck to all who prefer it, I just thought I'd adapt somehow with what I've got and went with the DE, all a matter of taste.

One other thing I forgot to mention in the last post was the hold of the razor. I am no expert at all of this but I've shaved my nut for some time now. As opposed to holding the razor at the tip as you would do for the face, for the head, I have adopted a kinda "pen-holding" trick whereupon your fingers are more down the handle and sometimes almost touching the razor head. You get the angle, pressure and control just right and with a bit of practise you can easily do long, swathing swipes from the back of the neck to your fringe in 2-3 seconds, I stress, with practise! (I did it tonight no bother with my Slant and a merkur blade)

This different handle holding I use or "pen-holding" or even a "piccolo-hold" (whatever) gave me another idea. Why not try everyday shaving with this further-down-the-handle technique? Yes, you guessed it, I have tried it and really like this style for everday face shaving. I like the idea of controlling the angle and pressure as you would when ....well, everday writing I suppose. Makes sense to me that further down the pen determines how you write.

Anywho, I've had great results this way. Might not work for everyone, so don't flip, just saying what works for me.

As always, Good Luck! :thumbup1:

I have adopted a kinda "pen-holding" trick whereupon your fingers are more down the handle and sometimes almost touching the razor head.

I usually do "choke" the razor when I shave... It's a little '61 SS and with that tiny handle, I find that gripping near the head gives me massive control. However I do use a four-finger see-saw type grip.

Top Bottom