What's new

Update - first cold water shave

I started wet shaving with a DE razor a few weeks ago. So far the experience has been nothing short of amazing.

My technique continues to improve with the razor and I am now trying different blades to see which works best for me. The Bic blades I started with were OK, but moving on to the Wilkinson blade has upped the ante for me. I'm anxious to try different blades once I've gotten used to the Wilks. I also moved to the Edwin Jagger DE8911 and it's definitely a sweet ride.

On the soap front I temporarily abandoned the DR Harris soap in favor of TOBS Sandalwood cream. My lawd, the smell is heavenly. And the lather is just killer. I also face lather with the cream instead of the bowl - just seems easier.

Now to the subject in my title. Last Friday our AC unit died. Of course it had to be during the hottest week of the year. Saturday it hit 103 degrees. And although the temp has dropped quite a bit since then we are still hovering in the 90's. Not pleasant. I decided I was not going to hot water shave in this ridiculous heat, but by Wednesday I couldn't take it any longer. I knew something must be done!

I decided to try a cold water shave. It was certainly unique. Didn't love the feel of it at first, but I soon found it rather refreshing. And it is hard to argue with the results. Except for the occasional trouble spots at the bottom of the neck, I wasn't getting much irritation before with hot water wet shaving. But I got ZERO irritation on the cold water shave. My skin just felt a wee bit tighter and less sensitive at the end. Granted I also had several days growth so that might have been a factor. I think one more cold water shave today will tell me for certain.

I can't thank you all enough for your support and advice!

Good for you! I'm learning too and tried the cold water shave once. My results weren't as good but I'm not writing anything off including blades since I'm new.

Down here in hot Florida I cold water shave frequently. It feels nice but honestly it doesn't give me any better or worse shave than hot water. However, it does take less time.

One thing I do, however, is I use warm lather in my scuttle when I bowl lather and do a cold water shave. However, if I face lather it's cold all the way.

I tried cold water shaving....it worked.....but why would you want to? It's the 21st century and we have hot water without having to build a fire and heat a pot of water...I just prefer to use it.

I like to cold water shave too. Seems to give me a shave that is as close or slightly closer than shaving with hot water. The real reason I like cold water shaving is a lot less irritation. I would really suggest everyone try cold water shaving at least a few times.

Welcome! i tried it and have now abandoned the hot water alltogether. I find it very refreshing after a hot shower, plus I don't have to deal with varying temps of water. Cold water is absolute. It works for me and I do notice a difference my skin 'tightness' and zero irritation as well. Glad you found something that works!

I started wet shaving with a DE razor a few weeks ago. So far the experience has been nothing short of amazing.

My technique continues to improve with the razor and I am now trying different blades to see which works best for me. The Bic blades I started with were OK, but moving on to the Wilkinson blade has upped the ante for me. I'm anxious to try different blades once I've gotten used to the Wilks. I also moved to the Edwin Jagger DE8911 and it's definitely a sweet ride.

On the soap front I temporarily abandoned the DR Harris soap in favor of TOBS Sandalwood cream. My lawd, the smell is heavenly. And the lather is just killer. I also face lather with the cream instead of the bowl - just seems easier.

Now to the subject in my title. Last Friday our AC unit died. Of course it had to be during the hottest week of the year. Saturday it hit 103 degrees. And although the temp has dropped quite a bit since then we are still hovering in the 90's. Not pleasant. I decided I was not going to hot water shave in this ridiculous heat, but by Wednesday I couldn't take it any longer. I knew something must be done!

I decided to try a cold water shave. It was certainly unique. Didn't love the feel of it at first, but I soon found it rather refreshing. And it is hard to argue with the results. Except for the occasional trouble spots at the bottom of the neck, I wasn't getting much irritation before with hot water wet shaving. But I got ZERO irritation on the cold water shave. My skin just felt a wee bit tighter and less sensitive at the end. Granted I also had several days growth so that might have been a factor. I think one more cold water shave today will tell me for certain.

I can't thank you all enough for your support and advice!
It works for me, Andrew. I always cold water shave.

Gus

even on a scorching hot NYC day I still use hot water to shave. always have. my old barber got me into shaving techniques. My brother got me into de shaving

Thanks for the replies all.

Another day without AC, another glorious cold water shave. Incredible feeling. I may never go back to hot water. I just prefer how I feel afterwards.

Got really curious based off this thread, went and tried a old coldy and i have done this in the past and today, not knowing why it was amazing. Gonna have to give this a few mor goes for sure.

Top Bottom