What's new

How many shaves with a particular grind or size before giving up on it?

Yea that will take some serious work on low grit to get it back to shave ready. The horror-a bread knifed wedge-no tougher honing task.

I don't know, I have a seashell sitting on my desk staring at me...

I guess that was an extraEXTRA hollow grind... :)

He did it with a custom forged silver steel spoon. Still pretty darn neat. However, it makes you want to try it with a production spoon of some sort. A stainless or maybe a titanium camping spoon comes to mind. It would be an interesting task to hone it correctly. ;-}

Oh... and I was wincing a bit as he ate his cereal. If the spoon he was using was razor sharp, it would certainly leave a smile after scooping in a mouthful of sugar-bombs. I know full well that if I did it (or tried to do it) with a spoon, I would have to destroy it afterwards. Someone - either me or my family - would try to eat with it after the initial aim was forgotten.

Last edited:
I have two 4/8, a Boker (new) and a Red Point (from Larry) and I love both. In fact, it was my Dovo Black Star that gave me the most issues. I almost gave up, even after sending it out to have it re-honed when it should have been 'shave ready' from the seller. Finally, I decided to strop the **** out of it...which actually solved the issue. It now shaves better than my 4/8 straights, but I prefer to nimbleness of the 4/8 razor.

Top Bottom