What's new

Homemade Shaving Cream

Recently a friend of mine sent me the following recipe for a homemade shaving cream. What are your opinions?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- 4 tbsp. of a heavy natural oil

(i used hemp and coconut, olive oil would be good too)

-- 2 tbsp. cocoa butter

-- 1 tsp. baking soda

-- 4 tbsp. castile soap

(i used dr bronner's liquid soap or get a bar of castile soap at grocery)

-- 1 ½ cups water

(i used 1 cup aloe vera juice)

---1 tsp of honey

instead of making a huge mess i combined everything but the aloe in a saucepan
and heated it up to medium and stirred well, remove from heat, add aloe, stir well, let cool.
i poured it all into a 24 0z honey container and shook it for a minute or so.
use your fingers to get what's left in the pan and smear it on your area to be shaved.

original recipe:

http://www.lovelyish.com/751265869/how-to-make-homemade-shaving-cream/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking at the URL, I see it's made for the ladies. I don't think I'd put this mixture on my face.

There are a lot of things that I like to do for myself, but I'm just not tempted to make my own shaving soap or cream. There are too many reasonably priced good ones out there.

The only time I tried something even remotely like this was when my daughter was into carving soap. I'd gather up all the shavings and her finished carvings and cook them down in a pot of boiling water. When it was all rendered down, I'd pour it into an aluminum cake pan, cover it with an old tea towel and put it in the garage. Once it was all set up, I'd cut it up into bars and give it back to her. She'd start carving and the whole cycle would start again.

Don't use olive oil in shaving soap or cream. Olive oil soaps are notorious for not lathering.

As for using your shave soap, I don't see anything that would preclude you from safely using it on your face. The issue would be whether it would lather or not and if the lather would perform a disappearing act once you applied it. Note that hemp (hash) oil is a Schedule I drug in the US (it is basically marijuana oil) so I would not buy it again but I haven't ever heard of someone getting high from applying hash oil to his skin. I don't know whether trace amounts of THC would show up in a tox screen from using this shaving cream, unfortunately. Hash oil is also very valuable on the black market, assuming you used half and half on the oils you have a $50 shave soap and that is before accounting for the also very expensive Dr. Bronner's Castile Soap!

Don't use olive oil in shaving soap or cream. Olive oil soaps are notorious for not lathering.

As for using your shave soap, I don't see anything that would preclude you from safely using it on your face. The issue would be whether it would lather or not and if the lather would perform a disappearing act once you applied it. Note that hemp (hash) oil is a Schedule I drug in the US (it is basically marijuana oil) so I would not buy it again but I haven't ever heard of someone getting high from applying hash oil to his skin. I don't know whether trace amounts of THC would show up in a tox screen from using this shaving cream, unfortunately. Hash oil is also very valuable on the black market, assuming you used half and half on the oils you have a $50 shave soap and that is before accounting for the also very expensive Dr. Bronner's Castile Soap!

I would like to correct you on your refrence to Hemp Oil and the cost of Dr.Bronners Soap. First There are many uses for Hemp and in America in certain states farmers can leagaly grow industrial hemp which contains very low levels of THC. It is basically like poppy seeds that i can go buy will contain very low levels of opiates. Hemp oil is in Dr.Bronners Soap and for 16 oz of Dr.Bronners Peppermint Castille soap only costs $10.49 , and seeing how it is a castile soap it will last quite a few months. Compare that price to Geo Trumper Hair and body wash which on WCS costs $21.00 for 200ML(or 6.763 oz). People Need to understand that the products Like Dr.Bronners Soap can not get you High. Down the street from me i can walk into a store and buy Dr.Bronners Soap, Hemp Milk, Hemp Seeds, and Hemp Protein powder. There is nothing wrong with the hemp products like Dr.Bronners Soap and Tempt Hemp Milk.

I would like to correct you on your refrence to Hemp Oil and the cost of Dr.Bronners Soap. First There are many uses for Hemp and in America in certain states farmers can leagaly grow industrial hemp which contains very low levels of THC. It is basically like poppy seeds that i can go buy will contain very low levels of opiates. Hemp oil is in Dr.Bronners Soap and for 16 oz of Dr.Bronners Peppermint Castille soap only costs $10.49 , and seeing how it is a castile soap it will last quite a few months. Compare that price to Geo Trumper Hair and body wash which on WCS costs $21.00 for 200ML(or 6.763 oz). People Need to understand that the products Like Dr.Bronners Soap can not get you High. Down the street from me i can walk into a store and buy Dr.Bronners Soap, Hemp Milk, Hemp Seeds, and Hemp Protein powder. There is nothing wrong with the hemp products like Dr.Bronners Soap and Tempt Hemp Milk.

+1 !

It's misconceptions like what was stated above that must be fought.

Last edited:

Another +1 from me :D

You sound like you might live in California...or maybe it's just that I live in California...and I can buy all that stuff, too.

You could try it for fun, just don't have high expectations. I don't think it will lather much. Doesn't mean it won't be usable. Maybe it will compare to shave oil?
Again, see this as something fun to try.. nothing more. There are good inexpensive products out there that do not make this worthwhile if it's just to save a few pennies.

Neilz4 I am Actually from Virginia and not California. Also I work at a health food store at the moment and when I started working there I felt I needed to try some of the products that I noticed sold well and once I switched to using dr.bronnners Soap my Itchy scalp went away. So to this Day I use Dr.bronners Soap to wash my body and hair and face while im in the shower. ( I know all of this is off topic of the main thread here but i wanted to give a little bit of info)

The recipe looks interesting and I applaud you for trying this, but I just don't see myself ever being motivated to make my own shaving cream. I'm extremely lazy and even the nicer soaps/creams are relatively inexpensive for how long they last.

I'd say go for it. I make my own soaps, and have attempted a shaving soap, while I get great bubbles I'm not getting the rich lather like I want, but it still works to wash my hands! It may acutally get better as it ages and the water evaporates out more.

As for the oils listed, I wouldn't worry about the castille soap, olive oil isn't the best sudsing soap in the world but it does lather, maybe add a touch of castor oil to it, that makes for good bubbles in soap, may serve you well in the shaving cream.

Oh and yes I've put hemp oil in my soap too, quite nice stuff actually. Can buy it all day long from the granola grocer. Also big difference between HASH and hemp. Similar to the big difference between HEROIN and poppy seeds.

Whoa, that definitely looks like too much effort for what you get.

Some people only use their stove for mac and cheese.. I on the other hand just made Coq au Vin recently and to me that makes this recipe for shaving cream look as hard to make as mac and cheese. Soap making is fun to do and you can call yourself an artisan once you get good at it... or not. I do believe trial and error is how the original shave creams were designed, but YMMV.

If you are interested in doing it, go for it. Nothing seems sinister in the ingredient list, though my gut feeling is that the hemp or coconut oil amount can be cut in half for the first trial. I agree that olive oil is not a good option. I doubt the resulting cream will be on par with those sold by our vendors, but that doesn’t mean you won’t gain from the experiment.

Pics as you go please:thumbup:

Just wanted to add that I have no problem with folks trying out soap making on their own, and I would like to attempt it myself some day soon. I just feel the recipe in the OP is not worth the effort. But if anyone wanted to try it and post the results I'd be very interested.

Just wanted to add that I have no problem with folks trying out soap making on their own, and I would like to attempt it myself some day soon. I just feel the recipe in the OP is not worth the effort. But if anyone wanted to try it and post the results I'd be very interested.

Ditto. I've been looking for recipes, but this one doesn't look fun.

I apologize, then. I was under the impression that it was illegal to grow hemp or possess hemp/hash oil in the US, period.

As for poppy seeds I have heard of people eating a bunch of poppy-seed muffins (which I happen to like) and testing positive for morphine in a tox screen. Admittedly that was years ago so things may have changed since then.

I carry a Hemp wallet, smell finally faded...
I say go for the the SC, if it works out put up some pics, and sell us some on the hobbyist forum!

Top Bottom