What's new

Mike's Natural Soaps

I ordered the Bay Rum tin and a tin of Barbershop this weekend and they both arrived today. I did a test lather to try to get some of the funk off of the Vie-Long Butterscotch Beehive Silvertip which arrived today from Phil at Bullgoose. These soaps are a bit thirsty, as others have mentioned, but the lather was thick and super slick. I can not wait to shave with these. The scents are AMAZING.
$DSC_0055.jpg$DSC_0057.jpg$DSC_0059.jpg$DSC_0060.jpg$DSC_0063.jpg

Looks Great! Nice brush too. I have been working thru some samples of Mikes too and it is outstanding stuff. Lather is super protective and leaves my face feeling great afterwards. Current favorite is the mint/rosemary, but should have a couple more samples today of barbershop, orange/cedarwood/pepper, cedarwood/pine and lime. I am sure a couple of these, if not more, will find a permanent home in my den.

Mike's stuff is fantastic! Thirsty yes, but once you get the ratios right...EXPLOSION! Seems like more and more people are getting on Mike's.

This stuff is on the very top of my list of shaving products to buy. The scents sound awesome.

If you are in the market for a soap, or the AD is taking the reigns, I would make this your next purchase (unless you are a Mama Bears fan...get it while you can).

The second set of pics looks like some very nice lather indeed. After hearing all the hype around Mike's products, I think I'll have to give them a shot.

The second set of pics looks like some very nice lather indeed. After hearing all the hype around Mike's products, I think I'll have to give them a shot.

The lather is a little airy in the first three pictures through no fault of the soap. I did much better work on the second lather (the first three pictures are with bay rum, the last 2 are with barber shop, even though the lid in the background is from the bay rum). After the first lather with the bay rum I had a much better idea of how thirsty the soaps were and was really able to hit the sweet spot on the second attempt. The lather with the barbershop was SUPER dense, hydrated, and slick, or in a word...perfect. I am confident that the bay rum will produce the same results from now on. The bay rum lather was also the first time I had ever lathered with that brush, as it arrived in the mail today as well.

I had my first shave today with Mikes. I was amazed aare how much water it requires!!! I didn't get the mixture right but sstill had an excellent shave. I was using a new Semogue 830 so I'm sure that had something to do with it.. tomorrow I shall try sgain with a brush I am more famaliar wwith.

If you are in the market for a soap, or the AD is taking the reigns, I would make this your next purchase (unless you are a Mama Bears fan...get it while you can).

Are you referring to the specific scents you purchased, or the brand in general? Why do you say this?

Mikey's soap is excellent, I am starting to run low. And yes that brush is really sweet I have had my eye on a vie long.

Probably your new little piggy hogging a lot of that water :thumbup:

I had my first shave today with Mikes. I was amazed aare how much water it requires!!! I didn't get the mixture right but sstill had an excellent shave. I was using a new Semogue 830 so I'm sure that had something to do with it.. tomorrow I shall try sgain with a brush I am more famaliar wwith.

Are you referring to the specific scents you purchased, or the brand in general? Why do you say this?

I am referring to the brand in general, though I really love the scents I purchased. If you are referring to my recommendation of Mikes it is because of the scents, the speed with which it arrived, the fact that a purchase supports a small businessman, and because, just based upon the test lather, it was the creamiest and slickest lather I have yet to produce. If you are referring to the Mama Bears comment it is because there is a thread in the shopping and deals section which discussed Sue's intention to close up shop tomorrow. This was narrowly averted due to an influx of orders upon this news breaking this morning, but I am not sure if she will be able to remain open permanently or if this influx is just a temporary reprieve.

I am referring to the brand in general, though I really love the scents I purchased. If you are referring to my recommendation of Mikes it is because of the scents, the speed with which it arrived, the fact that a purchase supports a small businessman, and because, just based upon the test lather, it was the creamiest and slickest lather I have yet to produce. If you are referring to the Mama Bears comment it is because there is a thread in the shopping and deals section which discussed Sue's intention to close up shop tomorrow. This was narrowly averted due to an influx of orders upon this news breaking this morning, but I am not sure if she will be able to remain open permanently or if this influx is just a temporary reprieve.

I was referring to the mama bears comment. I may have to place an order sooner than I expected.

Gorgeous brush BTW, a real looker!

And yes that brush is really sweet I have had my eye on a vie long.

THANKS GUYS! I am pretty excited about this brush as it is my first butterscotch and I love the look of the beehive handle. I really have not done a lot of research on Vie Long brushes (atypical for me prior to making a purchase) but was so taken by this brush aesthetically that I decided to pull the trigger. I am not disappointed that I did. It is the silver tip version and has a lot of backbone...a surprising amount of backbone (which is a good thing for me being primarily a face latherer). Phil at Bullgoose describes it as a soap shredder and mentioned that this brush is in his personal rotation (another face latherer). I am curious about the horsehair brushes...I may have to investigate.

THANKS GUYS! I am pretty excited about this brush as it is my first butterscotch and I love the look of the beehive handle. I really have not done a lot of research on Vie Long brushes (atypical for me prior to making a purchase) but was so taken by this brush aesthetically that I decided to pull the trigger. I am not disappointed that I did. It is the silver tip version and has a lot of backbone...a surprising amount of backbone (which is a good thing for me being primarily a face latherer). Phil at Bullgoose describes it as a soap shredder and mentioned that this brush is in his personal rotation (another face latherer). I am curious about the horsehair brushes...I may have to investigate.

I got one of these brushes as soon as it came out. It works great - especially with Mike's! It takes a few uses to get the funky smell out but what a great brush/soap combo. Highly recommended.:thumbup:

Top Bottom