What's new

Mama Bear soaps

I just sent her an email to see if this is really true. If you read her Facebook page she's talking about how much she loves soap making and thinking of introducing some new stuff just a few days ago, then bam, it says she's shutting down. That doesn't make sense. She may have been hacked.

I just sent her an email to see if this is really true. If you read her Facebook page she's talking about how much she loves soap making and thinking of introducing some new stuff just a few days ago, then bam, it says she's shutting down. That doesn't make sense. She may have been hacked.

Seems likely, it doesn't say anything on her site about closing down.

Posted a question on the facebook site and sent her an e-mail. Hopefully I'll find out soon.

Edit: I just received a reply. She said "I made the decision to just close it all down because I am not making money at it.. but it seems about a hundred orders came in last night....since I announced it... I am getting the feeling they will not let me close down..... I don't know what I am doing right now".

She's not sure what she's doing, but I'm glad to see people are trying to help.

Last edited:
I just got an email from Sue. She was indeed planning to close but the number of orders she's gotten since the announcement is making her second guess the decision.

My prayers are with Sue. I hope she does what is right for her situation. May the Lord provide for her.

Hey Ben: I just pulled the trigger on a Mama Bears Lemon/Rose Soap. I have heard nothing but positive praise about the Mama Bears. I hope this is not true and that she will remain in business.

WARHAWK

The message thread from the General Shaving has been moved to the Deals and Cloesouts forum, and she has replied to a member that the matter seemed settled until after her announcement of throwing in the towel.

I just got an email from Sue. She was indeed planning to close but the number of orders she's gotten since the announcement is making her second guess the decision.

My prayers are with Sue. I hope she does what is right for her situation. May the Lord provide for her.

Couldnt have said the latter better myself. Great post

Could she raise the prices a little too? I'd rather pay more and still be able to buy her wonderful product, than not be able to buy it at all. Or maybe pull an Apple and cut down on the number of different products she makes?

Last edited:
This was posted a minute ago on facebook:

I had decided to close the store and get a job.. I was having problems making ends meet.. and didn't have money to buy supplies I needed.. Enough orders came in since I made that decision to get the needed supplies... My head is spinning. I don't know if you are all trying to help me, or getting last orders in.. but I am going to go and get the supplies I need and start making soap again.. Not sure what to do or say at this point, I love what I do.. I would rather keep doing it than get a job. I guess I will keep fighting!! Wow.. just wow.. thank you!

Very happy she got enough orders in to be able to produce soaps again!

Last edited:
I'd be glad to help out but her soaps break my face out. I'll be glad to order something else. Anyone have some recommendations?

Maybe she needs to do a financial evaluation of her business model and determine if it is even financially viable as a long term business. It seems as if she is just barely making ends meet and will be able to make the soap that was just ordered, but what happens after that? I don't think this additional business will continue at the same rate so she should figure out what her expenses are and either cut costs or increase price. With an increase in price she could see a decrease in revenue, so maybe the more appealing option is to find ways to run the business cheaper.

I'm not trying to be negative but for her to succeed in business she will need more than a short burst of orders and prayers. She's going to need to run the numbers, see if she can afford to stay open and make a decision. I see this as a short term fix to a long term problem.

I just did my part. Ordered three tubs: Masonic Lodge; Ye Olde Barbershop; and Honeysuckle.

Where are all the Masonic brethren out here on B&B? Who amongst us does NOT want a shaving soap called Masonic Lodge? This may be your last chance and I may regret not ordering several more.

I see this as a short term fix to a long term problem.

+1

I fully agree. I think if business were that bad, the writing is on the wall. The state she describes, is a business with absolutely zero funds in the bank for operating capital. That's a horrific place for a business to be, and one that will be extremely difficult to recover from.

The fact of the matter is, there are quite a few more choices on the market now than there used to be (RazorRock, Queen Charlotte, Mike's, Mystic Waters). I personally don't feel that a melt and pour based soap is as attractive as it used to be.

Maybe she needs to do a financial evaluation of her business model and determine if it is even financially viable as a long term business. It seems as if she is just barely making ends meet and will be able to make the soap that was just ordered, but what happens after that? I don't think this additional business will continue at the same rate so she should figure out what her expenses are and either cut costs or increase price. With an increase in price she could see a decrease in revenue, so maybe the more appealing option is to find ways to run the business cheaper.

I'm not trying to be negative but for her to succeed in business she will need more than a short burst of orders and prayers. She's going to need to run the numbers, see if she can afford to stay open and make a decision. I see this as a short term fix to a long term problem.

+1. It would be better to quit while you're ahead or at least even than to wind up with a lot of debt. Owning your own business is really hard and even harder to evaluate if you're doing well in the long term and knowing when to quit.

I'd be glad to help out but her soaps break my face out. I'll be glad to order something else. Anyone have some recommendations?

Mama bear soaps have several types of oils in them, which is what makes them so awesome to shave with. I usually shower after shaving and since I wash my face in the shower, I don't break out. If I happen to not shower after shaving, I grab my face soap and wash my face and I don't get breakouts. Otherwise, I would. So enjoy the soap and grab some face wash!

Top Bottom