What's new

Mama Bear soaps

Maybe she needs to do a financial evaluation of her business model and determine if it is even financially viable as a long term business. It seems as if she is just barely making ends meet and will be able to make the soap that was just ordered, but what happens after that? I don't think this additional business will continue at the same rate so she should figure out what her expenses are and either cut costs or increase price. With an increase in price she could see a decrease in revenue, so maybe the more appealing option is to find ways to run the business cheaper.

I'm not trying to be negative but for her to succeed in business she will need more than a short burst of orders and prayers. She's going to need to run the numbers, see if she can afford to stay open and make a decision. I see this as a short term fix to a long term problem.

Great point. Sue, if you're reading this... I wish you the best. Your soaps are amazing. But you gotta do whats best for you. The sudden burst in sales last night is likely not going to be repeated.

Not sure what your situation is, but if you want to keep the business going your best strategy is to just focus on manufacturing, and make deals with distributors and retailers to carry your product. Cut your overhead costs of running the website and keeping a store front. Reevaluate your packaging, your wooden soaps are beautiful but your tubs could use some polishing up. Make the tubs all white. Make some labels with the bear's head from the wood tub and some nice simple and clean font. Your branding should be consistent and memorable throughout your entire line of products. Image is everything.

Those are just suggestions, but I would advise that if you keep doing exactly what you're doing business wise, you're likely to end up in the same place you are now. Again, I hope you do what's best for you because as much as we love your soaps, we wouldn't really enjoy them if we knew you were struggling financially.

It's truly a shame but we still have some good soap makers on the forum such as SCS and Matthew's Charlotte shave. I actually prefer these.

I placed a small order for a ye old barbershop soap. While it is not a big order maybe a bunch of small to mediums coming in will help. Never used her products but if it is a good as others say, it should be a treat. Honestly I never knew about her before. If this turns out well you can bet I will be back for more goodies.

I tried the scent free aftershave in Canadian Travelling Box 2 and loved it. This prompted me to get off my butt and order...

And BACON soap?? Yes Please!!!

Great point. Sue, if you're reading this... I wish you the best. Your soaps are amazing. But you gotta do whats best for you. The sudden burst in sales last night is likely not going to be repeated.

Not sure what your situation is, but if you want to keep the business going your best strategy is to just focus on manufacturing, and make deals with distributors and retailers to carry your product. Cut your overhead costs of running the website and keeping a store front. Reevaluate your packaging, your wooden soaps are beautiful but your tubs could use some polishing up. Make the tubs all white. Make some labels with the bear's head from the wood tub and some nice simple and clean font. Your branding should be consistent and memorable throughout your entire line of products. Image is everything.

Those are just suggestions, but I would advise that if you keep doing exactly what you're doing business wise, you're likely to end up in the same place you are now. Again, I hope you do what's best for you because as much as we love your soaps, we wouldn't really enjoy them if we knew you were struggling financially.

Again, not to be a continuous voice of negativity (I'd like to say reason), but it seems like Sue is not cut out to run a business. She has already closed the B&M store and continued to lose money. Running an internet-only business she is not even at break-even. It is admirable what the members of this community are doing but unless you can provide her with thousands of dollars of business it isn't going to last. Good luck to Sue in whatever she pursues, but I hope she doesn't continue to stay self-employed if it leads her further down the path of financial ruin.

Not sure what your situation is, but if you want to keep the business going your best strategy is to just focus on manufacturing, and make deals with distributors and retailers to carry your product.

Exactly what I was thinking. Worth the short time contacting some vendors and running the numbers IMO.

I think the point has been made well. This is a burst based on B&B hording and helping mentality (in equal parts). Anyone close to her should help her understand this is not a trend.

Does anyone know how long her soaps would last if I bought a bunch of them? I would love to have her Barbershop soap around for the rest of my life...​

My thoughts on how Sue could save some money, survive, and create her brand.
-Just sell the soap pucks...no bowls. I'm sure there is a minimal cost for the plastic bowls, but it may save her some dough
-Scale back to her top shaving soap sellers. Her scents are incredible, I've tried a bunch of her samples before landing on a few regulars and she has nailed the scents. However, I'm sure there is a large cost to maintaining such a large line of products.
-Scale back all the extra items in her store. I've purchased the cocoabutter soaps and colognes and they are incredible, however I probably won't purchase more colognes for years. She has alot of extra items like lotions, aftershaves, candles...she should reduce to her top sellers
-Try to partner up with other websites. B&B has some great vendors that would love to sell her soaps. I'm a big fan of Bullgoose...why not make a relationship with those guys?
-Revamp her overall marketing strategy. She needs a consistent message/brand that is definitely missing from Mama Bears. This can be tough for someone who enjoys pouring wax and not working on a marketing strategy (just like an Attorney/Plumber who has to make these decisions). Is there someone within the B&B forum who would volunteer their time to help her? Didn't someone come up with the logo for Rudy Vey brushes?

While many of us dearly love Sue's product and support financially with our money...can any of us provide any professional support for her? I understand if some feel like maybe her business model is dead and she won't survive...however maybe she could use some professional help. Just some of my thoughts...

Last edited:
Sue is getting lots of responses on her facebook page about partnering with places like West Coast Shaving and Bullgoose to sell her products.

I think part of her problem is that she carries too much inventory and has all her cash tied up in this. My guess is that she hasn't really got a proper business model. She has far too many scents and varieties available. I think she should scale back to the bestsellers and maybe ditch at least 50% of the poorer sellers. She probably has a lot of stock tied up in unpopular varieties which is just sitting on shelves and not selling.

Sue has generated a surge of demand due to people thinking that they'd better stock up. Once the initial rush is over, it is likely that her sales will be lower than before.

Whatever your business. If it's losing money you need to step back and evaluate where you are losing money and address it as a matter of urgency. Concentrate on the things that do well, ditch those that don't. If you still cannot address it then it's time to look at a change of direction altogether.

If the business makes money but not enough to sustain a lifestlye, then an alternative source of additional income is required, either adding a new business or part time employment.

Last edited:
I would be OK with a puck in a cellophane wrapper! Lots of "nice" can be cut to still make profit.

I want to order, but this month has been rough on my pocket book already. If the site is still up next month I have a list to order.

Phil

I think part of her problem is that she carries too much inventory and has all her cash tied up in this. My guess is that she hasn't really got a proper business model. She has far too many scents and varieties available. I think she should scale back to the bestsellers and maybe ditch at least 50% of the poorer sellers. She probably has a lot of stock tied up in unpopular varieties which is just sitting on shelves and not selling.

Sue has generated a surge of demand due to people thinking that they'd better stock up. Once the initial rush is over, it is likely that her sales will be lower than before.

Whatever your business. If it's losing money you need to step back and evaluate where you are losing money and address it as a matter of urgency. Concentrate on the things that do well, ditch those that don't. If you still cannot address it then it's time to look at a change of direction altogether.

If the business makes money but not enough to sustain a lifestlye, then an alternative source of additional income is required, either adding a new business or part time employment.

Agreed. Too many gents request custom scents that she never recoups her investment. She needs to stop being so nice.

Top Bottom