Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 61 to 75 of 75

Thread: Visited the new AOS store.

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,181
    Images
    34
    Thread Starter

    Default

    I bought the Lemon. I really like citrusy scents.
    Old Fogie. It's not fer eatin', it's fer lookin' through.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Jax Beach, Fl.
    Posts
    2,136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Foyle View Post
    I bought the Lemon. I really like citrusy scents.
    Their Lemon is great! It was my first cream in wetshaving. I still use it in summer months, which in Florida are long, but Sandalwood has become #1 in my den. Glad you like it!
    BOTOC - 2011 R41, PMJ, SOC 2-Band/Boar fan club; Noob Straight User.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    1,641

    Default

    So around when will the next AOS sale be?
    Muhle R41+Feather | Mike's Orange & Bay Rum, MWF, DR Harris Arlington, AOS Sandalwood

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Overland Park, KS
    Posts
    621

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Le Buzz View Post
    If you like the soap, and you think it's worth the money, then I'm glad. Enjoy the soap. Thanks to your post, and my post, a consumer trying to make the decision that you just made will have an easier time making that decision. That's what makes the Internet great... It facilitates our free market system by providing us with something closer and closer to the concept of perfect information.

    I understand markets and economics very well actually, I better after what I paid for my economics degree. Just because I'm not a market purist does not make me ignorant. All I'm doing by posting my thoughts on this forum is contributing to the pool of information available to all participants of our economy. That does not hurt the free market, it helps it.

    I do believe in the free market, but I know it has its limits. It is not perfect. The only way that a free market reaches perfection, such as you are describing when you say "the market takes care of itself", is when all participants enjoy perfect information.

    The idea that free markets should just be allowed to roam unshackled is deeply flawed in our day and age, because we do not have access to information in a perfect way. Do you think everyone that buys carts is dumb? That's pretty insulting and a little misanthropic. Why do they buy carts? Because they don't have access to the information that you and I have in a perfect way, meaning that all the information that we've read can't just be uploaded to their brain instantaneously. Because they have better things to do than research the drawbacks of using a cart, they continue to overspend. Their time is better spent doing other things, and P&G continue to rape their wallets.

    Please don't respond with the tired old slogan that the market will take care of everything if we let the huge corporations do whatever they want because consumers, since they have all the information, will boycott their product for whatever reason. The market is not a magical benevolent entity that we can worship as if it has no flaws.

    You are twisting my argument by implying that I would support regulation to limit what a private firm can charge for their product and you are insulting me by calling me a communist when you have no logical reason to do so. All I'm doing is presenting information, so hopefully some young chap that's tired of his canned goo and carts, who is standing in the AOS shop at his local mall, can pull out his iPhone and have access to some information on which to make a decision to buy or not to buy a $26 puck of soap, besides the information that the very self-interested AOS sales clerks are feeding him.

    Someone had to contribute information to you to get you to stop using carts, right? The free market worked for you in this case because of the information you were privy to. You read somewhere on the internet that DE's were better than carts. What if everyone kept quiet about mach3's and fusions being a total ripoff? What if the few guys who shaved with DE's kept all of that knowledge to themselves?

    Im not saying I'm right... I might be wrong on AOS soap. I'm going to buy a sample and try it out. But for $26 for 95g, I not only want BBS, the damn soap better get me high too.
    What about those of us that have all of the available information about our options, and still choose to use cartridges... even when we have other options sitting right in our drawer? I find some pieces of your post(s) a bit condescending. Think about the millions of men out there that grew up during a time when cartridges weren't even around, and yet they still decide to use cartridges today? Am I, along with those millions of men, not capable of determining the perceived value in a product for myself with my puny little brain? Or is it possible that every person out there puts a different emphasis on the various components that go into determining the value of a particular product? Same goes for the AOS soap.

  5. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Le Buzz View Post
    Im not saying I'm right... I might be wrong on AOS soap. I'm going to buy a sample and try it out. But for $26 for 95g, I not only want BBS, the damn soap better get me high too.
    I think you can safely skip the soap.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    492

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jpipes3 View Post
    What about those of us that have all of the available information about our options, and still choose to use cartridges... even when we have other options sitting right in our drawer? I find some pieces of your post(s) a bit condescending. Think about the millions of men out there that grew up during a time when cartridges weren't even around, and yet they still decide to use cartridges today? Am I, along with those millions of men, not capable of determining the perceived value in a product for myself with my puny little brain? Or is it possible that every person out there puts a different emphasis on the various components that go into determining the value of a particular product? Same goes for the AOS soap.
    My apologies, I did not mean to imply those things and offend you. My point is that information is very costly, both in money and time, so not everybody ends up with what works best for them.

    I used the cartridge example only because it tends to fit, of course there are a few exceptions. No real world example is airtight.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    La
    Posts
    2,870

    Default

    Who in this thread has actually used it?

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    La Jolla, CA
    Posts
    4,016

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by petr View Post
    Who in this thread has actually used it?
    A minority, myself included
    -Nick

    STEWARD TO THE STRAIGHT RAZOR FORUM
    Have a question? We are here to help
    Want to get started? CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO

  9. Default

    I have. It's exceptionally good soap.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Jax Beach, Fl.
    Posts
    2,136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by petr View Post
    Who in this thread has actually used it?
    I have, and continue to. I use their Sandalwood soap & cream. Ocean Kelp cream. Lemon cream. Unscented pre-shave oil (although I think proraso preshave has bumped it out). I'll continue to use the first 4 things listed. Sandalwood is #1 in my den.
    BOTOC - 2011 R41, PMJ, SOC 2-Band/Boar fan club; Noob Straight User.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Near Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,029

    Default

    I use Lemon soap, gel and balm
    Lavender soap
    Sandalwood soap, gel and balm
    Unscented soap, gel and balm

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Jax Beach, Fl.
    Posts
    2,136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mhdena View Post
    I use Lemon soap, gel and balm
    Lavender soap
    Sandalwood soap, gel and balm
    Unscented soap, gel and balm
    So you're saying it's overpriced and not very good?
    BOTOC - 2011 R41, PMJ, SOC 2-Band/Boar fan club; Noob Straight User.

  13. #73
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    La
    Posts
    2,870

    Default

    I've used three pucks in six years. This thread had me revisiting it after a long hiatus. Since I've been wrestling with MWF lately I treated the AOS like MWF - brief soap soak, drier brush, work face, dip brush tips, rework. Wow. This is one slick creamy protective soap.

    Yes, the price stinks, but I'd sure hate to be without it.

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Near Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,029

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBull View Post
    So you're saying it's overpriced and not very good?
    Yes and I have more than a few of each.

    Get while you can! It will be a sad day when this is gone or they fool with the formula. IMO

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    1,641

    Default

    Is there any scent on the market that is close to AOS Sandalwood? I just love that scent...
    Muhle R41+Feather | Mike's Orange & Bay Rum, MWF, DR Harris Arlington, AOS Sandalwood

Similar Threads

  1. Visited Ray at Gentleman's Best!
    By FL shaver in forum General Shaving Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-18-2010, 08:25 PM
  2. I visited Men'sBiz
    By Peter Mount in forum Shopping and deals
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-30-2010, 06:50 AM
  3. Visited AOS last weekend
    By Geordon in forum General Shaving Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-24-2010, 07:57 PM
  4. Best Bar You've Visited
    By Gruder in forum The Speakeasy
    Replies: 148
    Last Post: 07-30-2009, 09:13 AM
  5. Diplomat re-visited
    By MotoMike in forum Double Edged Razors
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-19-2009, 10:59 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
By accessing Badger & Blade, you agree to abide by the Terms of Usage. You can find our Privacy Policy here.
Once submitted, any posts, images, or content become the property of Badger & Blade.
Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.