What's new

Visited the new AOS store.

I bought the Lemon. I really like citrusy scents.

Their Lemon is great! It was my first cream in wetshaving. I still use it in summer months, which in Florida are long, but Sandalwood has become #1 in my den. Glad you like it!

If you like the soap, and you think it's worth the money, then I'm glad. Enjoy the soap. Thanks to your post, and my post, a consumer trying to make the decision that you just made will have an easier time making that decision. That's what makes the Internet great... It facilitates our free market system by providing us with something closer and closer to the concept of perfect information.

I understand markets and economics very well actually, I better after what I paid for my economics degree. Just because I'm not a market purist does not make me ignorant. All I'm doing by posting my thoughts on this forum is contributing to the pool of information available to all participants of our economy. That does not hurt the free market, it helps it.

I do believe in the free market, but I know it has its limits. It is not perfect. The only way that a free market reaches perfection, such as you are describing when you say "the market takes care of itself", is when all participants enjoy perfect information.

The idea that free markets should just be allowed to roam unshackled is deeply flawed in our day and age, because we do not have access to information in a perfect way. Do you think everyone that buys carts is dumb? That's pretty insulting and a little misanthropic. Why do they buy carts? Because they don't have access to the information that you and I have in a perfect way, meaning that all the information that we've read can't just be uploaded to their brain instantaneously. Because they have better things to do than research the drawbacks of using a cart, they continue to overspend. Their time is better spent doing other things, and P&G continue to rape their wallets.

Please don't respond with the tired old slogan that the market will take care of everything if we let the huge corporations do whatever they want because consumers, since they have all the information, will boycott their product for whatever reason. The market is not a magical benevolent entity that we can worship as if it has no flaws.

You are twisting my argument by implying that I would support regulation to limit what a private firm can charge for their product and you are insulting me by calling me a communist when you have no logical reason to do so. All I'm doing is presenting information, so hopefully some young chap that's tired of his canned goo and carts, who is standing in the AOS shop at his local mall, can pull out his iPhone and have access to some information on which to make a decision to buy or not to buy a $26 puck of soap, besides the information that the very self-interested AOS sales clerks are feeding him.

Someone had to contribute information to you to get you to stop using carts, right? The free market worked for you in this case because of the information you were privy to. You read somewhere on the internet that DE's were better than carts. What if everyone kept quiet about mach3's and fusions being a total ripoff? What if the few guys who shaved with DE's kept all of that knowledge to themselves?

Im not saying I'm right... I might be wrong on AOS soap. I'm going to buy a sample and try it out. But for $26 for 95g, I not only want BBS, the damn soap better get me high too.
What about those of us that have all of the available information about our options, and still choose to use cartridges... even when we have other options sitting right in our drawer? I find some pieces of your post(s) a bit condescending. Think about the millions of men out there that grew up during a time when cartridges weren't even around, and yet they still decide to use cartridges today? Am I, along with those millions of men, not capable of determining the perceived value in a product for myself with my puny little brain? Or is it possible that every person out there puts a different emphasis on the various components that go into determining the value of a particular product? Same goes for the AOS soap.

What about those of us that have all of the available information about our options, and still choose to use cartridges... even when we have other options sitting right in our drawer? I find some pieces of your post(s) a bit condescending. Think about the millions of men out there that grew up during a time when cartridges weren't even around, and yet they still decide to use cartridges today? Am I, along with those millions of men, not capable of determining the perceived value in a product for myself with my puny little brain? Or is it possible that every person out there puts a different emphasis on the various components that go into determining the value of a particular product? Same goes for the AOS soap.

My apologies, I did not mean to imply those things and offend you. My point is that information is very costly, both in money and time, so not everybody ends up with what works best for them.

I used the cartridge example only because it tends to fit, of course there are a few exceptions. No real world example is airtight.

Who in this thread has actually used it?

I have, and continue to. I use their Sandalwood soap & cream. Ocean Kelp cream. Lemon cream. Unscented pre-shave oil (although I think proraso preshave has bumped it out). I'll continue to use the first 4 things listed. Sandalwood is #1 in my den.

I've used three pucks in six years. This thread had me revisiting it after a long hiatus. Since I've been wrestling with MWF lately I treated the AOS like MWF - brief soap soak, drier brush, work face, dip brush tips, rework. Wow. This is one slick creamy protective soap.

Yes, the price stinks, but I'd sure hate to be without it.

Top Bottom