What's new

RazoRock new scent

People are attacking his business practices and branding are they not?

I haven't read any attacks on Joe or his business. There have been opinions expressed about the naming of one of Joe's soaps. No more, no less.

My take is this issue: I really wish that the soap had been given a different name for the obvious reason. That said, I like Joe's products, have purchased many of his products in the past and will continue to do so in the future. I have purchased the LE (MF) soap and I will use it but the label will be removed.

The name issue isn't a "mountain" or even a "molehill", for that matter. But it is still an issue for some. Sadly, it didn't need to be this way. Almost any other name and this discussion would not be occurring.

I don't like what some people are insinuating when they suggest this conversation is somehow in violation of board rules (be specific) and warrants moderator actions (when you the user don't have that authority).

These vague attempts to control the discussion are doing more to derail the conversation, than the original "argument."

I'll assume these are directed at me. I am willing to concede that yes, I am attempting to control the direction of discussion. Nowhere did I say that the discussion violates board rules though, I merely stated that I contacted a moderator to close the thread if it continued to devolve, which it clearly has done.

I have attempted to steer the conversation back in the original direction because I view the discussion of a name, which some find offensive and other do not, to be more closely related to political opinions than subjective interpretations of an aroma. It is a line of discussion that likely won't produce any fruitful contributions other than "I hate it because I'm a stuffy old man who is offended by references to eeeeevil curse words, and my children are innocent flowers that cannot be tainted by such awful words," and "I love it because I am a hip young man who likes screaming totally awesome profanities at small children simply because I think it's funny, while chugging a sugary energy drink! Rad dude!"

What's going to be accomplished by that sort of "discourse?"

This will be my final post in this thread. You all can go nuts discussing the sad state of our society and how it's reflected in a sticker on a shaving soap.

Good day, sirs.

Last edited:
P

pdillon

People are attacking his business practices and branding are they not?

Definitely not attacking his business practices. I wouldn't call it "attacking" his branding either. People have criticized this particular soap's name for being inappropriate or lacking taste, and other people have weighed in on the other side. I haven't really seen anything that is an attack on the brand; quite the opposite, in my opinion.

Was everyone this upset when the Meet the Parents sequel Meet the Fockers was released? Obviously it's a play on words because Thermal Mud is the special ingredient, but we're all adults.

Whether or not anyone took offense at a movie title is irrelevant to this discussion. The topic is about a shaving product, so let's keep to it.

Joe is a great vendor and provides great products. He's currently on vacation so he does not have the opportunity to explain. Instead of slandering him publicly on B&B, why not write an email to italianbarber or directly message him?

Nobody has slandered Joseph in this thread. Nor is expressing disapproval regarding the name he chose for one of his shaving products slander. Incidentally, slander is defined as spoken words, not written ones, which are defined as libel.

Go start a topic about the denigration of society in the Barber Shop forum. I know wet shaving is old school. I did not realize B&B was frequented by grumpy old men.

I'm as equally entitled as you are to post my opinion on the subject in this thread. I'm not "old" or "grumpy". I would never purchase a product sold with a name that uses ignorant word substitution for a vulgar obscenity, regardless of how "amazing" it may smell.

It's ungentlemanly. Period.

P

pdillon

I'll assume these are directed at me. I am willing to concede that yes, I am attempting to control the direction of discussion. Nowhere did I say that the discussion violates board rules though, I merely stated that I contacted a moderator to close the thread if it continued to devolve, which it clearly has done.

[...]

This will be my final post in this thread. You all can go nuts discussing the sad state of our society and how it's reflected in a sticker on a shaving soap.

Good day, sirs.

seizure, my quotes were not directed only at you. The second one was directed at YTMR, whom I quoted in my post. I should get better at using "Reply with quote" rather than just the normal quote tags.

I have attempted to steer the conversation back in the original direction because I view the discussion of a name, which some find offensive and other do not, to be more closely related to political opinions than subjective interpretations of an aroma. It is a line of discussion that likely won't produce any fruitful contributions [...] What's going to be accomplished by that sort of "discourse?" This will be my final post in this thread. You all can go nuts discussing the sad state of our society and how it's reflected in a sticker on a shaving soap. Good day, sirs.

I thought we could have an interesting conversation about RR's branding choices with this soap. Obviously the conversation has upset you and others. I apologize for any part my contribution may have played in upsetting you.

Whether or not anyone took offense at a movie title is irrelevant to this discussion. The topic is about a shaving product, so let's keep to it.
It seems relevant to me. But I think the title of the movie would be less offensive; the movie moves away from the connotations of a swear word while the name of the soap moves toward it.

The topic IS about a shaving product, so I for one am going to stick with it in keeping with the grand tradition of B&B:

First of all, scent: Mudder Foker does indeed start off out of the container as a bit old lady like. If you've ever tried any of L'Occitane's EDTs, particular Cade, you will know what I mean...basically Mudder Foker smells like the dry down of all of them. From the container, it's like a powdery scent that's got some wood, florals and tobacco. It's the powdery sweetness that might cause folks to think of old lady. Once lathered, however, the scent evolves into an aromatic combination of tobacco, vanilla and burnt wood with a base of floral powder in the background. It's really wonderful. I get the comparison to Tabac, in that it has the same kind of burnt wood tobacco like quality....but Mudder Foker is a completely different scent, with no orange or neroli which is very present in Tabac.

Now, onto shaving....I've only lathered with it twice now. I believe I have yet to get the correct water / soap ratio. That being said, I've gotten a wonderful, completely irritation free shave each time. The soap produces a very slick, yet non-oily lather...I attribute that to the thermal mud added to it. The other unique quality of the soap is that while it does have the mud/clay in it, it does not dry out the skin at all. In fact, my skin was well moisturized after the shave. Other soaps which use a lot of clay/talc/Kaolin to promote razor glide often dry out my skin (e.g., Tabac and Klar Kabinett). This really is a unique combo that I have not yet experienced in shavedom.

The lather also seemed to offer my face a lot of protection from nicks, but I would not call it true "cushion" because the lather I produced was not a lot. Again, I attribute the protective quality of this soap the thermal mud.

Which finally brings me to lather-ability. I felt this soap was more difficult to lather than the other Razorock Artisan soap brands. And the lather it produced was not a lot...I believe I need to use more product than I am used to from Razorock. Again, this may be because I haven't got the soap/water ratio down yet.

All in all I love this soap. It fulfills a niche for me in shaving in that I have always wanted a tobacco scented soap that doesn't irritate my skin (like Tabac). Besides Tabac, in terms of scent, the closest thing I can think of is D.R. Harris Marlborough. The scent is certainly of that caliber and quality imho.

I believe this soap would pair nicely with a richly scented, extravagant EDT in winter...ones that come to mind include: Brooks Brother's 1818, Guerlain Habit Rouge or better yet, Serge Lutens Fumerie Turque.

In closing...What's in a name? That which we call a mudder foker. By any other name would still smell as sweet. :001_cool:

Now that's gentlemanly.

Last edited:
I think MF smells amazing, almost like vanilla and absolutely nothing like Tabac. Can't wait to try it tomorrow.

Having only gotten a chance to sniff it in the container and not lather it up, I definitely agree that there is a vanilla scent for me. Once I shave with it I'll see what other notes I can detect.

Not having a masculine old lady to compare it to at the moment, I'll have to assume that I wouldn't find their scent all that unpleasant.

FWIW, I don't see any attacks in this thread -- criticism of a name but not any sort of judgment on Joe's character. Also, there doesn't seem to be anything other than opinion about (reaction to) the name of the product. Some people find the name questionable or immature. Others think it's clever. Most of us probably don't really care so much about a product name.

Whether criticism or praise, it seems like it's all in good nature.

That's what I see too, and frankly, the fact that there is this conversation going on provides good feedback to him for the future.

Thanks christhach, great description. When I first sniffed it, I thought there was no way to use it - just seemed too cloying. I let it air out overnight, and the powdery smell dissipated (shipping container was left in the sun during the day, magnifying the smell) and used it this morning. Most of the powdery sweet smell gone, and the other fragrances have come through nicely. Nice product, next is the honey which smells more like honeysuckle to me.

This is a just a new signpost, erected on the slippery slope that society is plummeting down at breakneck speed. I fully expect to see a product named using the actual obscenity, instead of a clever play on words, before my life ends.

Vulgarity has become acceptable to many because it's deceptively promoted as part of "culture", from and by a segment of our population. The best we can do is not to spend our dollars with those that choose to promote and advance it.

Ah, nothing like a little Eugene O'Neill to uphold the high level of this forum.

D

Deleted member 48987

I got in most of the new offerings from Razorock, as I like to try everything and see which scents are best for me. Surprisingly, I'm getting more of a tropical paradise scent from the MF than I am from the coconut. I thought these would all perform nearly identically because they have the same soap base, but the MF really was a winner here. I produced a ton of great lather. I really didn't expect to like this one honestly, and the vanilla scent you get right after opening it wasn't really my thing. Upon lathering, the true scent really comes through. You guys might not like the name and hey, I can't fault you for your own personal sensibilities and standards. There are tons of other great soaps out there for sure, but I just want to affirm that this one is certainly quite good.

I shaved with it today. The performance is excellent and I found the scent is almost non-existent when lathered. I would rank it slightly below the La Famiglia soaps on protection and how moisturized my face felt afterwards.

for me this is the second best razorock soap i have used with the best being the kl lavander. I havent used all the razorock line but i have tried out about 10 of them and plan to get a couple more of these while there still available.

The topic IS about a shaving product, so I for one am going to stick with it in keeping with the grand tradition of B&B:

First of all, scent: Mudder Foker does indeed start off out of the container as a bit old lady like. If you've ever tried any of L'Occitane's EDTs, particular Cade, you will know what I mean...basically Mudder Foker smells like the dry down of all of them. From the container, it's like a powdery scent that's got some wood, florals and tobacco. It's the powdery sweetness that might cause folks to think of old lady. Once lathered, however, the scent evolves into an aromatic combination of tobacco, vanilla and burnt wood with a base of floral powder in the background. It's really wonderful. I get the comparison to Tabac, in that it has the same kind of burnt wood tobacco like quality....but Mudder Foker is a completely different scent, with no orange or neroli which is very present in Tabac.

Now, onto shaving....I've only lathered with it twice now. I believe I have yet to get the correct water / soap ratio. That being said, I've gotten a wonderful, completely irritation free shave each time. The soap produces a very slick, yet non-oily lather...I attribute that to the thermal mud added to it. The other unique quality of the soap is that while it does have the mud/clay in it, it does not dry out the skin at all. In fact, my skin was well moisturized after the shave. Other soaps which use a lot of clay/talc/Kaolin to promote razor glide often dry out my skin (e.g., Tabac and Klar Kabinett). This really is a unique combo that I have not yet experienced in shavedom.

The lather also seemed to offer my face a lot of protection from nicks, but I would not call it true "cushion" because the lather I produced was not a lot. Again, I attribute the protective quality of this soap the thermal mud.

Which finally brings me to lather-ability. I felt this soap was more difficult to lather than the other Razorock Artisan soap brands. And the lather it produced was not a lot...I believe I need to use more product than I am used to from Razorock. Again, this may be because I haven't got the soap/water ratio down yet.

All in all I love this soap. It fulfills a niche for me in shaving in that I have always wanted a tobacco scented soap that doesn't irritate my skin (like Tabac). Besides Tabac, in terms of scent, the closest thing I can think of is D.R. Harris Marlborough. The scent is certainly of that caliber and quality imho.

I believe this soap would pair nicely with a richly scented, extravagant EDT in winter...ones that come to mind include: Brooks Brother's 1818, Guerlain Habit Rouge or better yet, Serge Lutens Fumerie Turque.

In closing...What's in a name? That which we call a mudder foker. By any other name would still smell as sweet. :001_cool:

Now that's gentlemanly.

Thank you. Your review has been by far the most extensive regarding this new scent. I don't own most of these fragrances/soaps but I think I have a sense of what you're describing. Luckily, I have a sample on the way so I'll be able to try it out to see if I like it before committing.

Last edited:
proxy.php

I finally got my soap and I love every scent. I thought there might be at least one I didn't like but not this time! Pure win! :thumbup:

Update: SWMBO thinks it smells like Marshmallows, and likes the smell. Fo me, it is getting better. Love the performance, very protective.

Thanks christhach, great description. When I first sniffed it, I thought there was no way to use it - just seemed too cloying. I let it air out overnight, and the powdery smell dissipated (shipping container was left in the sun during the day, magnifying the smell) and used it this morning. Most of the powdery sweet smell gone, and the other fragrances have come through nicely. Nice product, next is the honey which smells more like honeysuckle to me.

This whole discussion reminds me of book burning and movie censorship. If you don't like the name....DON'T BUY IT!. If it concerns you that your eight year old may see the package, don't give the kid the opportunity--just don't have that product in your house. Personally, I don't particularly like the name, but I do like the fact that Italian Barber has the big brass ones to name a product like that. I think they're just trying to attract a client base with a bit more "edge." Great for them. I think I'm going to buy some--I love the masculine old lady thing.

I finally got my soap and I love every scent. I thought there might be at least one I didn't like but not this time! Pure win! :thumbup:

Any chance you could describe the Nervous Wreck and Bee's Knees? I'm especially intrigued by the latter because I have no idea what bees wax smells like.

Top Bottom