Thread: Brush Bloom - Is It Good or Bad?

Default Brush Bloom - Is It Good or Bad?

When reading through various posts about shaving brushes, I have seen folks refer to the brush blooming. I am not 100% sure if people are talking about this as a possitive or negative quality of the brush. Is it a good or bad think for your brush to bloom?

It's just something that happens to a badger brush. After the first use they just open up a little. Normal. Here's a pic.
    http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthr...ighlight=bloom
    Last edited by oscar11; 07-10-2012 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Pucks View Post
    When reading through various posts about shaving brushes, I have seen folks refer to the brush blooming. I am not 100% sure if people are talking about this as a possitive or negative quality of the brush. Is it a good or bad think for your brush to bloom?

Here is my Rooney brush fresh out of the box

Pre bloom

Here it is after my first use

Post bloom

I hope that helps
    ~Michael~

"My guiding principles in life are to be honest, genuine, thoughtful and caring." ~Prince William~

Does anyone know if there is any correlation between amount of bloom and whether a brush is dried and stored on its own base with bristles up, or in a stand with bristles down. I own several badger brushes and not one of them has bloomed as much as some of the pictures I see. Sure they don't look like when they were new, but they haven't "exploded" either. As you can guess I store my in a brush stand which is why I'm wondering if that might contribute to a smaller amount of bloom in my brushes?
    Jim

On the back of tweezerman brush it says to dry the brush upside down in a stand or on it side to avoid changing the shape of the loft. I would assume that means it would bloom less if it is not dried standing upright. All of my brushes dry standing up.

nrv216

Images

Neither positive nor negative. After it blooms, is the brush the way you want? If not, buy a Simpson Chubby. Mine has barely "bloomed" at att, and I like it that way... at least for the Chubby.
    Wishing I was back on the AT.

In my limited experience with badger brushes I have found that a brush's post-shave bloom size is inversely related to both the stiffness of the bristles and the density of the knot.

So it's not necessarily a good or a bad thing, it's more of a tell-tale sign of the brush's properties, and as you gain experience it can help determine if a brush is suited to your particular tastes. Most experienced shavers tend to look for brushes with more backbone, and so their brushes are less likely to bloom too much. Others like floppier brushes and a brush like that will tend to bloom more.

An example would be a Vulfix 2234, which is one of the more famously floppy brushes and blooms like theres no tommorrow.
    Last edited by Le Buzz; 07-10-2012 at 11:17 PM.

I like blooms. Brushes look spectacular when bloomed. There's nothing special to make it happen or not happen. I dry mine on a stand, but all that's needed to make the brush open up is rub the brush against your hand or skin.

Thanks everyone, that was very helpful. I wasn't sure if a brush bloomed a lot if it was some sort of reflection of the quality of the brush. It seems like it is just another property of the brush and indicative of backbone and other things and, as with many items, it will all come down to my preference and how I enjoy it. Thanks!